1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. cnganesh

cnganesh Member

I know there has been a helluva lot of discussion in this thread about problems playing DivX files in dvp642k. I tried reading the initial 10-15 pages of this thread, but after that, I lost patience. There is just toooo much to read.

As you wud expect, I too have a problem playing some DivX movies in my 642k. I have 2 CD's with DivX movies, both of them, having different problems.

1. Video and audio not in sync. The audio plays 3-4 seconds after the video. I don't face this problem while playing in my computer.
    File details (From GSpot) :
    Video : Codec - DX50/DIVX, Bitrate - 782 kb/s, FPS - 25.000, Qf - 0.308 bits/pixel.
    Audio : Name - 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3, Bitrate - 92 kb/s (96/ch, stereo) CBR, Fs - 44100 Hz.

2. The second problem is more severe. The file that I have plays exactly for 6 seconds only and the video freezes after that. I can FF/RW, but when I play again, it again plays only for 6 seconds and freezes after that. Also, there is absolutely no audio.
    File details (from GSpot) :
    Video : Codec - DivX 4 (OpenDivX), Bitrate - 632 kb/s, FPs - 23.97, Qf - 0.312 bits/pixel
    Audio : Name - adpcm (0x0002) Microsoft Corporation, Bitrate - 355 kb/s (177/ch, stereo), Fs - 44100 Hz.

I used Nero 6.3 in Data mode to burn the avi files in a CD-R in 48X write speed. Should I be writing at a lower speed ?

The exact codec version that I have for DivX 5 is 5.0.5. Do I need to upgrade/downgrade it to another version of 5.0 ?

Does 642k support Microsoft ADPCM audio codec ?

It would be useful (for others too) if somebody could summarize the correct explanatory steps (and the software used) to encode VCD's/DVD's and how to write them on CD-R/DVD-R. Or if somebody has already done that, could you point me to that post ?

TIA. And I am sorry if you feel that I am asking the same question asked by somebody else. There are just too many posts to read in this thread and sometimes it gets very confusing.

Ganesh

2. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

No-it definetly does not support the microsoft codec, with avi the best thing to use is mp layer3 for the audio. Try using either VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod to correct the problem. You can read one of the countless user guides to see how to do this.

3. lepa71

lepa71 Member

Hi

I just purchased this dvd player. I'm trying to put couple of Divx movies on one DVD+RW as DVD-ISO and it doesn't want to work for some reason. I did put some of those movies on CD-RW and it works. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

4. lepa71

lepa71 Member

Hi

I just purchased this dvd player. I'm trying to put couple of Divx movies on one DVD+RW as DVD-ISO and it doesn't want to work for some reason. I did put some of those movies on CD-RW and it works. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

5. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I use DVD+RW all the time and have never had a problem. It could be a problem with the disc quality.

6. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Rocman, yeah, that's a known problem (color inversion). I've tried posting here and on other forums to see if there's a fix but haven't heard anything other than "re-encode the file." But even this doesn't work sometimes. I used AutoGK to make an Xvid of one movie and got the blue people, so I re-encoded. Same thing. So I re-encoded using DivX as the codec. Blue. The only way around it was using a different app (Dr. DivX) entirely, but even Dr. DivX coughs up blue sputum on occasion. Go figure.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  7. djJeproks

djJeproks Member

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I'm planning to buy the dvp642. all of the models i found are dvp642/37. Where can i buy the dvp642/69? Also, can the dvp642 handle divx files encoded using divx pro 5.2.1? thanks in advance!

8. wangho75

wangho75 Member

hmm.. this sounds really, really good for the price. Once you burn 6 movies to a DVD, how is the browsing menu from the DVD player? Do the different movie files have captured scenes such as you can do with DVD authoring software or are the aesthetics of each file the exact same besides the file name? Seems liek a HUGE time saver considering you dont have to go through the hassle of transcoding each file. Im guessing the sound and picture is as good as a transcoded file output to DVDR?

9. rocman

rocman Member

mrchub, good to hear that other people have experienced this problem. It's actually hilarious to me, but my friend's a big Seinfeld fan so he's not as amused haha. Bummers there's no fix other than time-consuming re-encoding...

so, am I still correct that there's been NO substantial firmware update in terms of CODEC support? Actually, I can't find the link on philips's site for the firmwares anymore... is this player dead?

10. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Rocman, there have been at least three firmware upgrades, I think, the last being to version 1109 a couple of months ago. Still no official Xvid support, no resume function, etc., but I don't think there's any reason to think that Philips has abandoned this player. On the contrary, it's wildly popular from what I can tell.

wangho75, the menu files you dump on a dvd+/-r look similar to what you'd see if you played an mp3 cd on any dvd player which can handle that. No thumbnails or anything, of course, since that's part of the authoring of a "real" dvd. And the menu only displays something like 7 characters for each file entry, so make sure you get good at abbreviating file names. Lastly, there are a few little icons that appear next to the file name on the menu depending on what the player thinks the file is. All in all I think it's a great value. I don't use it for playing regular dvds but it's pretty solid for well-encoded DivX/Xvid files, the only real problems being the occasional color inversion or trouble playing files which have certain obscure options included during encoding (search for qpel stuff, etc.). But if you use the default options with apps like AutoGK or Dr. DivX you'll be fine 95% of the time.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  11. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

For those with XVID problems.... run GSPOT first to check if you have QPEL or GMC , if there is a green light over these , that means the dvp642 will most likely not be able to play it...

Go here for details for re-encode settings guaranteed to work with dvp642 using virtualdubmod ...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/165637

12. bruinkat

bruinkat Member

How do I use it? After I download and try to open it says "windows cannot open this file" I opened up an anime and tried to open the file and it stil didn;t work,. Its a .rar file that my computer does not recognize.

13. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

bruinkat, well...of course you need to use WinRAR to unpack the file first! It's just like a zip file.

14. bruinkat

bruinkat Member

Ah thanks! I've never heard of such a program. Excuse my ignorance :)

15. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Thanks arag0rn for the tip! It's worked splendidly on 4 of 4 problem videos so far...

16. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

If this is a rehash-sorry. I've found the easiest way is just to convert the avi downloads to dvds. Just use VSO DvixtoDVD to turn it into dvd compliant mpeg2, then use DVD Shrink in conjuction with DVD Decrypter and presto-a dvd that will play on most (but not all) dvd players, because there is no menu some players won't play it.

17. waynecow

waynecow Member

I was wondering if anyone can help me?
    I just bought the Philips dvp642 so that I can play xvid files of UK TV shows that I have downloaded whilst living in the states.
    I copied six of them on to a DVD+R.
    When I placed the disc in the machine they started to play OK apart from one problem.
    I have a 16x9 plasma TV and the Xvid files are all widescreen, but when they play they are squashed vertically and do not fill the screen correctly.
    When I have gone through the lengthy process of converting the same xvid files to DVD format they fill the screen perfectly and are not distorted at all.
    Does anyone know anything about this problem and if there is a way to fix it?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

18. djJeproks

djJeproks Member

WayneCow
    Try using 4:3 Letter Box instead of the WideScreen for your video setting

19. Nk05

Nk05 Member

The DVP642 is okay I guess... just purchased it tonight...
    My only complaint is that DVD image quality could definitely be better.

I bought a standalone DVD player because I was sick of using my PlayStation2; it's noisy, takes forever to read DVD+/-R media, doesn't support DivX or even VCD/SVCD, forces you to use the controller unless you spend extra for a remote, has no sleep timer, etc., etc...

But with all of this being said, for DVD video playback (even ones that are super compressed), the PS2 is [bold]still[/bold] vastly superior to the DVP642! This really surprises me since the PS2 is so *old*!!! If the PS2's video output was any clearer, my television would look transparent. The DVP642 does a decent job of hiding artifacts, but the image is [bold]grainy[/bold] - doesn't matter if it's a commerical DVD or a backup.

I'd take it back if I spent more than $50... hopefully someone at Philips is reading this and will include better DVD video decoding in a later firmware release. Maybe someday Sony will release a player that supports multiple formats and also rivals or exceeds the quality of the PS2.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  20. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

NK05, all you say is true. That's why I think many people, like myself, use the DVP642 only for Xvid/DivX/solo video files (and as merely a backup player when it comes to regular dvds). I use a Sony carousel changer and have used the Philips to play regular dvds exactly once. But if you download a lot or create your own episodic Xvid discs the player is still well worth the money, IMHO.