1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. lilricky

lilricky Member

Perhaps if you read the post before yours by Geodude, you could find your answer.

2. hfwarner3

hfwarner3 Member

I found out some of the problems.

Your files must be smaller than 2GB. You must burn in ISO9660. Both of these I have done and now the player can see and play the files, but there is no audio.

The file plays fine on my PC. When I burn it to CDR, it works. When I burn it to DVDR, there is no audio. I am looking into it further, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

3. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

It must be a bad DVDR. I've never had such an experience, but if it works on CDR, it should work on DVDR. Try a DVDRW -- at least you can earase it and use it again.

4. hfwarner3

hfwarner3 Member

I think I found the problem. When I used GSpot to compare the one that worked with the one that did not I found something ... the CDR version had MP3 audio and the DVDR version was uncompressed. I have used VirtualDub to encode the audio to MP3 and I am going to try it again.

5. memfrican

memfrican Member

Has anyone tried WMV movies?

6. hfwarner3

hfwarner3 Member

Interesting. Well, it works fine when the audio is MP3.

7. beatfulda

beatfulda Member

I have a few questions about this player...I can't test things I burn b/c I don't have DVD RW's

1.) Does it play abr or vbr audio?
    2.) Can it play videos that have been resized while encoding?

8. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

1. Yes
    2. Yes (if done correctly)

9. memfrican

memfrican Member

Which program can I get to check if my .WMV file has mp3 audio. Is AviCheck the best proggie to use to determine what my .AVI file specs are?

Also, I just throw my avi files onto cd-r's or dvd-r (taiyo yuden). My new Philips DVP642 should recognize these after reading all the posts. However, I'm wondering ... and will probably test myself, once I get my player, that if I have 20 avi's on my disc, that it'll just read it as one big file, and you'll have to scan through to get to file 14.avi? or is it broken into sections. I'm wondering does it break the avi's into seperate sections, or am i just going to have to fast forward to get to the file i want to watch?

Also, anyone have anyluck watching realmedia (.RM) files on this player? I doubt it can be played ... so are there any freeware proggies you guys know of that will spit the RM files out into a file that would/could/should be able to be played onto the Philips dvd player? Thanks in advance!

10. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

The files appear on a menu. Just select one and hit play. They will play one after another if you let it run, however.

11. memfrican

memfrican Member

Thanks. UPS says my dvd player is on it's way to my crib. w00t! Can't wait to get it and start messn around with it. Anyone have any other comments on the things I posted?

12. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Congrats memfrican!

Here’s how to use the DVP642

DVD back-ups:
    Get the latest stable version of Auto Gordian Knot
    [bold]Make sure you enable ESS support and bitrate-spikes control during installation![/bold]
    Proceed as described here:
    http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN

Acquired rips:
    Burn a DVD+RW and see if it plays; or
    Re-encode like this: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/165637
    (Many thanks to XvidPro and aragOrn!)

Comments:
    If the soundtrack gets out of sync, (a) toggle the system menu on & off, or (b) choose CBR MP3 128 (in AutoGK advanced settings).
    Forced subtitles are tricky; use the AutoGK preview function to be sure you guessed correctly.
    Auto Gordian Knot 1.95 installs adware. To remove it, simply go to add/remove programs in control panel and uninstall “DAE”. Despite the adware, AutoGK is well worth the trouble!

Regards,

Happy DVP642 Owner

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  13. guruuno

guruuno Member

Combined on CD, movie.srt (pure ASCII in required format) with movie.avi file, when put in player, .srt file shows ICON with "?" (question mark) instead of "TEXT" as indicated it should (as per manual, forums) on the menu, and will not play the subtitle with the AVI/DIVX file..

Tried 1109, 1112 firmware, no difference.

Philips tech support says, buy a new one.

Any solutions?

BTW Media Player Classic plays the AVI file on my PC displaying the subtitle.

14. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Nice summary, mhudson7. Question: Why do you suggest constant bitrate (CBR) for the audio? I encode mine at 128 with variable bitrate (VBR) to get a little more quality in the same amount of disk space. Is there any reason not to use it? It hasn't given me any trouble with my divX encodes.

15. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I haven't had any trouble with vbr either - I was just being conservative. I have read that vbr presents challenges if you wish to dice/splice and/or re-encode.

16. pjfan281

pjfan281 Member

heeeelp. can someone please help me play xvid/divx files with subs. i am trying to watch Ong Bak which come in the form of xvid with srt sub files. i burtned the files (as data) on both cdr and dvd-rw. once i click to play the movie, it starts for abolut a second, and then goes to Codec Not Supported message. sincd then i upgraded the firmware, and now subs appear without a ? next to them, but the movie still does not play. it no longer shows the Codec Not Supported message, but still stops playing after a second and returns to the data menu. what do i need to do to get this to work? please help

17. waffleman

waffleman Member

I have the same philips player, and Divx seems to work ok, but I seem to have many issues with most burned disc's dvd+r's Ritek and mistumi,especially regular dvd's work ok, but usually if i burn them slower they seem to play for about half the movie then lock up, I have 3 different burners, and tried many different kinds of discs, and I figure it's a problem witht he player, I have the most recent updates of the FW and still same issue, has anyone else had these problems and I don't know about philips coming out with any new FW for this product when there new one is prolly due out soon. thanks.

18. waffleman

waffleman Member

Oh and just to add to my prev. post, all these burned dvd's I burn work in everyone elses player except the philp. 642. and it is really starting to cheese me off.. Also I seem to notice that it's about at the 1hour mark it seems to trail off, lock up and you can really hear it spinnin up.. is anyone else seeing this?

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  19. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

That's a puzzle, waffleman. I've used Verbatim DVD+R & RW, and Fuji DVD+RW and have never seen a problem like you described. Sounds like a bad player or an incredible run of bad luck with blank discs. What kind of player does everyone else have? Does it work in anyone else's DVP642? Please let us know if you figure it out.

20. waffleman

waffleman Member

see I thought it might be the player too but it plays regular dvd's ok, and it reads my memorex re-writeable ok, but I have been through spindle after spindle and only the odd one plays, I am about to go get another cheap player from somewhere and have it as well to test it out, like a cheap samsung, or apex or somthing, cause having a hundred or so burned movies and not being able to watch them is dumb.