1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Thanks for the great link!

2. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

Has anyone tried to encode 2 audio tracks to an .avi and play it on the Philips 642, with the ability to switch tracks with the audio button on the remote?? I have not tried this and wondered if it is even possible on this player.

3. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Yes, it works beautifully!

If you use AutoGK, press ctrl-f10 (I think) when you're setting up the encoding. Another combo box for the 2nd audio stream will appear. Then, simply select the additional audio stream.

The dvp642 will switch between the two audio streams with no problem.

4. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

Thanks, Roy. I will try that..

5. kunnalm

kunnalm Member

Hi,
    I just bought the DVP642K/69, i have tried to play several DIVX movies. No problems in playing. But i cant fast forward the movies. When i try to fast forward its starts playing the file right from the start. Is this normal?? Please let me know if there is a solution, Thanks. Kunnal.

6. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

7. kunnalm

kunnalm Member

thanks for the advise, will try and keep you updated.. Kunnal

8. stives

stives Member

when I do the update to the 1109 the osd is in Chaines.

How do I change it to english or whats going on?

9. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

Regarding the 2 audio tracks in the avi, I was able to add a 2nd track to an avi using Virtualdubmod. When I played thr AVI in the 642, I selected track 2 and it played fine. But I wasn't able to go back to track one, it would just have a humming noise, I could go back to track 2 at that point. I think what the problem was is that track 1 was AC3 and track 2 was cbr MP3. I need to further test this and make sure both tracks are encoded the same..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2005
  10. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Maybe you're right about the audio streams being the same. When I've done this, both audio streams have been the same (mp3 vbr 128). I am able to switch between the two as many times as I want to. (The switch does take a little longer than I'd like, but oh well...)

11. AZrob

AZrob Member

Pardon a newbie if this has been answered, but I searched as best I could and found no answer to the following:

When playing a .avi file in the Phillips DVP642, can I expect closed captions to work? They don't...or is that because .avi format doesn't support closed captions?

Thanks in advance,

AZrob

12. kunnalm

kunnalm Member

mhudson7,
    Thanks for the advise you gave earlier, the re-encoding did work and now the forward and rewind function do work correctly.But this also means I would have to re-encode all my divxs :(
    Cheers!! - Kunnal

13. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Probably so. They must not be getting encoded correctly to begin with, so why not. Fortunately, VirtualDubMod has a batch function so that you can set them up and leave.

14. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

DO you guys realize that this post has been around sense april 2004??? That is amazing! I love my dvp642 I almost went to the new sony 400 disk player to put all my back up dvd's in one place but the compatablity is great on this you can't go wrong

15. waffleman

waffleman Member

Just to add to one of my previous posts, as far as problems reading DVD-R discs, cause I had problem, I have confirmed that changing the cache size in Nero does the trick, so if you have any issues with an image or .vob files ect. change the cache in your prefrences to much higher, I actually have it cache like 5gb incase it is an image and not individual files, but 12 out of 12 discs have worked now, all different brands as well. So it may be the writing process in the software the DVP642 doesn't like it pausing or somthing, cause my DVD-R were stopping and skipping about half way into the movie. But now all is good! Now if I can just get this damn player to make a good frappachino I will be set! ;)

16. cgl88

cgl88 Member

What's the difference between these two properties in GSPOT? Both are XVID files.

Case 1 - video and sound are out of sync
    [​IMG]

Case 2 - video and sound are okay
    [​IMG]

17. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

It's hard to tell what may have caused this. They both are different in audio bitrate, one is cbr and the other is vbr. One has a packed bit stream, the other does not..

CGL, search for mpg4modifier and run the avi through. See what differences you see there...

18. vorain

vorain Member

Kunnalm:"But this also means I would have to re-encode all my divxs"

Trying to solve a sync problem, I think I accidently solved this one. I had an xvid movie that was slightly out of sync. I re-encoded 1mb of the movie and placed it at the beginning of my disc using nero. Then I burned the original avi file as the second track. The movie now rewinds and fast forwards! It didn't before. The sync problem was still there until I hit rewind for less than a second. The sync problem also dissappeared! I don't know if the 1mb file has to be a re-encoded file or not. I'm going to try to add this same file to other movies that don't rewind and see if it works. I only tried it the one time so far. Let me know if anyone else tries it.

19. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Anyone know if Philips has a firmware update out for DivX 6 support? Thx.

20. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

AS of now the answer is no. They had a new firm where up for like 3 days and took it down becuase it was real buggy. They were actually recommending at one point to go back to the old firmware if you had it.