1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. beatfulda

beatfulda Member

I don't have the flickering problem with 4:3 videos...I've had it with videos with uncommon aspect ratios, like 18:13 (664 x 480) and
    30:17 (720 x 408)...

2. AkumaX

AkumaX Member

For those of you who want to watch anime and read the subtitles (hardsubs):

The problem is called Overscan. All DVD players have this problem (DivX or not), whether NTSC or PAL. Watch any DVD movie on your computer (using PowerDVD or whatever), and notice the edges. Now when you watch it on a set-top DVD player, what happens is the DVD player is outputting the entire 720x480 resolution, but in reality TV's are only showing, say 684x432 visible, because it is really outputting 720x480, but the borders of the TV are blocking it. Something will always be cut off, and in the case of anime, at 640x480, that's a problem because you can't read hardsubs.

The only real general solution is to re-encode your anime with black borders all around. Using VirtualDub, you can shrink the actual video to say, 560x416, then adding black borders to equal 640x480. If you got a fast computer and blank DVD+-RWs, this might be a viable solution.

If you're lucky, you might have a special TV that can deal with the overscan problem. Some TV's have a special debug mode that can crop pictures to shrink the actual output in order to fit images without overscan.

In any case, good luck and I <3 DVP642

3. bilg25

bilg25 Regular member

how is this dvd player as far as just playing DVD-R's???

4. aaronetc

aaronetc Member

Has anyone had overheating problems, or problems that seem like overheating? Yesterday, while watching an hour-long file, the player just spontaneously powered off in the middle of it. When I tried to turn it back on, it shut itself off just as the disc menu was coming up. It was really hot yesterday, so overheating was what I assumed, and when I came back to it an hour later it was fine... for about half an hour, then the same thing happened. It now seems that it will play for about 35 minutes and then shut off; if I try a half-hour show, it shuts down when trying to proceed to the next file, or go back to the disc menu. Each time, I have to let it sit for a while before it's good to go again. The thing is, it's pretty cool today, so I can't imagine it's still overheating. Is the player FUBARed?

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Holy Hanabarbra..I hear more things about this player..I hope whoever reads this Forum..notices the flaws in this Player..Does this Don't do that..Plays well except for..READ more negatives then Positives

6. goldstar

goldstar Member

Hi can someone please tell me if these stats will work on dvdp 642?

[​IMG]

Also what should i look for in GSpot so that it will work on dvp642?

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

it's a divx movie it should play...try it on a cd/rw 1st & see......don't know about your particular player but my AVAYON has played all that I have throwin at it to date..the only disapointment is it won'l play mpeg files..but my AMW will

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

it's a divx movie it should play...try it on a cd/rw 1st & see......don't know about your particular player but my AVAYON has played all that I have throwin at it to date..the only disapointment is it won'l play mpeg files..but my AMW will

9. AkumaX

AkumaX Member

Goldstar, it should work. The only thing the DVP642 doesn't like about XviD is if QPEL and GMC are on. But in the Gspot picture, they're off.

BTW, that's how you would get XviD that doesn't work on the DVP642 to work again: you would need to use VirtualDub -> FullProcessingMode and re-encode the XviD to XviD w/o QPEL and GMC

10. goldstar

goldstar Member

What about this problem, it is for the same video file... I am afraid it might not work once i burn it on DVD

[​IMG]

Also i have a clip that can only play the video part and not sound so i downloaded AC3 filter and now it works on my computer just fine but i am sure once i burn it on a dvd i will loose the sound. So what i did is got this program DivXCreate, it was really simple drag and drop to convert this file to Divx after about 1 hour it was done, so i decided to delete that AC3 filter and see if DivXCreate did fix the problem, and the anser is NO, i don't get the sound unless i have that stupid AC3, am i missing something here?

By the way now when i am playing this clip i do ge that Divx logo so why doesn't it work?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM..no sound on Disc..but ok on computer..So I tried WinAVI Video Converter..after that it was ok on Disc..I'm assumeing that DivxToDVD would do the same..for Disc

12. jonpogi

jonpogi Member

Phiips 642 is a best buy for a cheap bucks really. However it lacks aesthetic design, poor GUI (very comparable to generic players from china), very cheap looking remote control. I use my 642 mainly for divx animes like naruto and bleech, but never with my hometheater enjoyment, I would still prefer pioneers' high resolution converters than phips basic ones, this is pretty obvious if you will chek the resolution of both players. Cheers!

13. Andy503

Andy503 Guest

I have had this player for a while and i dont here any sounds coming from it at all not even access or seek sounds even the tray is quiet.
    It will play xvid as long as a new encoder setting is not enabled called "QPEL" then it will have messed up color.
    Mine will play any disk all except dual layer. I know it will play these: cdr, cd-rw, dvd+r, dvd+rw, dvd-r, dvd-rw i never tried dvd ram but i trust this player and think it will play it this player is insanely awesome there is no lag or skipping freezing or anything like some players do even with originals. The only way it can be better is this player to suport QPEL, HD, and dual layer get you one while there still arround cuase from what i read there not being made anymore just the ones with a dvd burner built in and they cost alot more. Now i ant just saying this cuase i have one i want lie to some one and cuase them trouble for nothing just becuase i have one . But anyway there is a good review on this player here: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20465
    I really like this player. $59 i know its prolly not perfect but so far for me it has been. and DVD-R is nothing for mine it will play them all day long and never skip and not only that but you can put a mpeg or avi file on the root of the dvd-r or in a sub folder and BAM! it will find it for you and just select the one you want and hit play.

14. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

Been a while since I posted here so I haven't kept up with this thread. In other words, I don't know if my question has been asked before.

I've read conflicting reviews of playing PAL discs in this player and I found a Region 4 disc from Australia that I want to get. I hear that AU is PAL even though Mexico, etc is also R4 and is NTSC...what's up with that. Anyway, my question is if an R4 disc from AU will play well in this player?

What about Region 2 discs?

15. AkumaX

AkumaX Member

use unlock region code (set to 0). will play all regions 1-6

16. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

I already know about the region code. Mine's been set to zero since day one. But the signal still needs to be converted from PAL to NTSC for some regions. I've read mixed reviews of the conversion, I just wanted to ask here and get some people's opinions about how PAL DVDs look on this player.

17. AkumaX

AkumaX Member

sorry, i understand now :)

yeah, this thing's supposed to output pal and ntsc (i'm in US, so i can only use ntsc)

it's still a cheap player.. (i got mine for $60 shipped about a year ago)

18. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Anyone tried playing Xvid/DivX files from either dual- or double-layer burned discs on the Philips? I'm wondering if the layer break would cause a problem if it comes during an .avi file instead of during a regular dvd video movie.

19. sinoke

sinoke Member

hey i realy need to see the bottom of my divx vids becuase of the subtitles. it is just cut off enough that i can't see them, example neon genesis. is there an easy way to fix it? if i convert it with a border, it would defeat the purpose of the divx player

20. sananto

sananto Member

ok people for the last time, this player will play most everything, and for those people in DENIAL that it DOESNT play -R dvds, STOP BUYING CHEAP CDs. 50 pack store brand cakes from CompUSA and Office Depot just dont cut the mustard so first try burning on some sort of "name" brand -R disc before lodging complaints! Or bite the bullet and buy a new burner that supports + and -R, cheapskates!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005