1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello Mr2001..when u say it plays mpeg files..do u mean mpeg4 or mpeg2 ?
    I looked up the specs at http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/dvp642.html
    and it does not show mpeg2
    I know mpeg4 is an AVI file type & mpeg2 is standard DVD [VOB type]I'm looking for a player that will play the raw mpeg2 file without converting it too DVD format [VOB files]
    Sorry it does say mpeg2
    thank u..Can u tell me where to purchase this player

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  2. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

hello..Mr2001..(MPEGISO):are not raw mpeg files..if memory serves me iso is just another way of storing Vob's on your hard-drive using programs like DVD Decrypter.Raw Mpegs are what they are--example->Star Wars.Mpeg..Mpegs are the video file U have when U use program like TMPGEnc..these files have to be converted,to use in most DVD Players.My AMW WILL PLAY THESE RAW Mpeg Discs if I burn as data in Nero..which is faster then burning a DVD..

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well I found out that DVP642 WILL DEFINITELY NOT PLAY Mpeg files nor will it play my [Divx,Xvid,AVI's]on DVD [INFODISCA01 DVD+RW]
    I went to Wal-Mart & picked it up for $62.00
    For the difference U pay the Avayon DXP1000 is definitely a better buy..the only thig I have that it does not play is straight Mpeg files.
    Sure would like to find a DIVX DVD Player..that would play plain old Mpeg's

5. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

What I got to replace the long in the saddle Philips was an LGDVB418 which has taken almost everything I've thrown at it including 1 point GMC. PLUS-it does 720P and 1080I upconversion through the componet output!! It does make a lot of xvid and divx avi files look somewhat better. It isn't perfect by any means but it sure blows the doors off the Philips.

6. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

rick5446: MPEGISO and DVD-MPEGISO, as used in videohelp.com's player database, are not the same as the ISO files you're talking about (disc images). MPEGISO means a data CD with the ISO file system (or ISO/UDF) that contains MPEG files, and DVD-MPEGISO is the same thing on a DVD-ROM.

The DVP642 cannot play ISO files, but I'm pretty sure it can play MPG and VOB files on a data disc.. I'll check tonight to make sure.

If your DVP642 won't play divx/xvid from a DVD+RW, try different media and make sure you're using the regular data DVD-ROM settings in Nero. I think my DVD+RWs are Maxell brand, and my 642 plays AVIs off of them just fine.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thank You..Mr2001 for the insight...but I'm still looking for a Divx DVD player that will play the raw Mpeg's that I record off my TV capture card

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello zrdb..U mention LGDVB418..who is the manufacturer..where to investigate specs on this prod..do U know if it will play just the captured Mpeg..or do U have to convert to Divx or VOBs

9. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

I can't belive what I am reading.

The Philips 642 can play MPEG 1, 2, 4 files. If it's properly encoded. IF you got an ISO file, just burn the ISO as an image to the cd/dvd and philips will play it. If you burn the ISO to a CD/DVD as a single file to the disc, nothing will play it, except VLC on Windows or Mac, becuase it will open a virtual disc.

Just do it right in the first place and you wont have trouble.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello dcmorrow...do me wrong do me right do me any way U like...been their done that..THIS PLAYER..DVP642/37 will not play my Disc's...I use Nero..I burn in DVD-ROM [ISO]...Raw Mpeg files captured off the TV..Divx on DVD etc,, WOULD NOT PLAY..I'm an old stuborn fart..be damned if I'M GOING OUT & CHANGE the type of Disc's I'm useing just to suit 1 frigging player..when I'VE got 5 that handle what I'm useing now..
    I use TAIYO YUDEN,RITEK RiData,Memorex DVD+RW's,my machines play them my friends machines play them..So I guess I'm doing something wrong,for this player not to play these already tested Discs..I just want another player to put in the crapper,I'm tired of reading the newspaper..No OFFENCE just want something that will get along with the rest of my Players & me..but been burning for a while..don't know all the tekkie talk..but sure do know when the frigging Disc won't play..Oh yea forgot..I have 2 mind you 2 players that I can just copy the Mpeg files that I record on my Computer on to any DVD Disc & they play on my stand alones..I even use Mpeg VCR to cut out the comercials..bet U don't know how to use the arrow keys on your #'s keypad to fast forward your videos for editing in MPEG VCR..just being chippie HaHaHa.I do appreciate all the help I get from all of U who post here at Afterdawn..believe me it all helps..THANKS

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  11. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

I use both Nero and Record Now Max.

I have had some non playable discs. I have found that MPEG2 with AC3 doesn't play the audio. But MPEG4 with AC3 does.

I have TY, TDK, ProDisc... I haven't had too much trouble this way.

It could very well be you have a bad drive in your Philips. One that's just good enough to play one thing but defective for everything else. It's just a stab in the dark here.

12. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

rick5446, all I can figure is you got a bad drive. My 642 plays .mpg (MPEG2) files that I've recorded off TiVo with no problem - they show up in the list with a little "mpeg2" icon. What exactly happens when you try to play one?

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well thanks to all.. just bought it ..but thats not to say its not a bad drive...the play back on DVD [VOB] & CD [Divx] looks good plays both these..but not the ones I mentioned so again thanks to all
    Starts loading->shows up on the left ..then switches to DVD on the right..run 3 to 4 mins then shuts off

14. r6danl

r6danl Member

Hey rick5446 open up the file you are trying to play in Gspot and tell us what it says for the bitrate of the video stream under "Container" heading. Im not 100% sure but there has to be a limit of video bitrate as to what the dvd player can play. Just a thought.

15. currygoat

currygoat Guest

Hi everyone,

I purchased the Philips DVP642/37 in Dec 2004. Had been working perfectly. Just last week it no longer works. More specifically, the main power button blinks kinda quickly (not sure why), but it doesn't fully power up. Can't eject the tray, nothing. I tried holding down the power button for several minutes, nothing.

It must be dead. Any other possibilities?

Thanks!

currygoat

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

THANKS..r6danl..and to all who responded for me ...I took the unit back & got another one & all is well..everything plays thanks again
    I sure as shit hopes it lasts at least a year..I don't mind buying another one after that long..I kinda figure anything under $150.00 is throw away at the cost of electronic service charges it cost u $50.00 just so they will tell u its broke

17. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

It's made by LG (re-Zenith), I haven't had to convert any xvid or divx avi's yet-had to do that all the time with the Philips, all in all a much better proposition than the Philips.

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

HELLO..zrdb..where did u buy your unit & how much
    I was reading the specs on that unit at lg electronics looks like a nice unit with a lot of extra bells & whistles..but the price I've seen jumps from like $90.00 to $199.00 FOR the LGDVB418..makes U kinda wonder if these places are LEGIT or what
    SPECS:
    # Multi-Format Disc Playability: DVD Video/DVD±R/DVD±RW/ Audio CD/CD-R/CD-RW/WMA/JPEG/Kodak CD..Divx
    # MP3 Decoding: Plays CDs filled with hours of MP3 files downloaded from your home PC
    # 1080i Video Output: A special video processing circuit upconverts all DVD signals to high-definition 1080i (more than a thousand lines of horizontal resolution) for use with compatible televisions
    # 7-in-2 Multi Memory Card Slot: MMC/SD/SMC/MS/ MS Pro/CF/MD
    # Progressive Scan Technology: Video is processed faster and sequentially to produce superior, crisp clear images
    # Super Slim Design: Stands only 1.5" high for convenient addition to existing home theater configurations...THIS WOULD be a nice unit with my 60" Sony HD TV
    Check out this site
    http://us.lge.com/Product/proddetai..._level=3&totalItem=9&currentPage=1&perPage=10

19. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

currygoat, your problem sounds like the blown capacitor everyone talks about. I bet if you open it up, you'll find a big capacitor with the top bulging out.. you can replace it if you have moderate electronics skill.

20. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I got mine at Best Buy, for about 100 bucks, gotta warn ya though-I work for BB and it was an open box special. I've seen them for as low as 140 bucks on sale though. Plays divx and xvid excellently, and the the 720P and 1080I upconversion it makes them look about 10% better than otherwise. I use the upconversion through the componet output cause my hdtv doesn't have an hdmi input.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005