1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello,
    I have been trying to solve a puzzle with a back up copy of Die Another Day. The origical film contains 2 angles. When I made a copy with NERO the final single layer disk plays well, but it shows 1/2 when another angles is coming up. I can switch it to 2/2 and watched the special commentary, but I CAN NOT GET RID OF 1/2. It is annoying. I have checked everything.
    If someone knows how to get around it, I would be happy.
    Roma

2. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Bronco,
    I have had this problem with a few AVI disks before. The solution is simple - press "System" button on your remote control, it will give you a menu, simply go down without changing anything, click on "Exit" and watch the movie.
    Good luck!
    Roma

3. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello NK05,
    Please let me know if you have fixed the problem with 1/2. I am having the same thing and am looking for the way how to fix it.
    Roma

4. dymx

dymx Guest

i have a dvp462/37. It was remanufactured. The problem is that I can't seem to unlock it because i need a password. Does anyone know how i can unlock without password.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@dymx..U might have to call Philips..sounds like a firmwars problem

6. eyeofnewt

eyeofnewt Member

I'm trying to play several AVIs on my new Philips DVP 642/37. I burned the files with Nero Express (and then again with Nero 7) to a 4.7GB TDK DVD+RW in Data DVD mode. However, when I inserted the disc into the player, I just got a "loading" message as the DVD whirred and ticked unwholesomely in the player. I am supposed to create the DVD in data mode, right?

I called up Philips and they told me it was either a region problem or the disc burning did not finalize in a way the player could recognize the disk. I made sure I finalized the disc and wrote with disc-at-once. TDK is supposed to be a great brand for DVD media, and the discs I made work perfectly on both my home PCs, but not on the 642. Philips claims if the player is playing regular DVDs, the problem is with the DVD-R/DVD+RW media.

I don't know what's going on. Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@eyeofnewt..First off the Philips DVP 642/37 will not play all AVIs..You need to use G Spot & see what codecs are used.post your finding here.IF THE QPEL is enabled U need to run it thru VirtualDub or NanDub.Their is one other item like Qpel that will create problems on this player.forget what it is but I think it was mentioned in the forum about problems with DIVX.It and QPEL problems.Just hang in their someone will come along & help

8. eyeofnewt

eyeofnewt Member

All the files are in XVID format. I don't know what QPEL is.

I returned the original media and tried the burn process again with some new DVD+RWs, but the Philips player cannot read them. I don't even get a menu screen--it just chirps for a few seconds and then comes up as "No disc."

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ eyeofnewt..I had that problem with the first phillips I bought.It would play dedicated DVD's & my DVD-R's,but would not play any Mpeg 4's,just kept spinning.Had to return it,the next one worked fine [it was the player after all]
    Naturally Philips is going to claim be blameless,& try to transfer the problem to other areas,it helps to get closer to the end of their obligation.I strongly recomend that if its still under warranty U return it for another.If U bought it on line U need to get an RMA # ASAP,but sad to say U probably get stuck with the freight.The old cleche [my shit don't stink]
    Is this the first DIVX DVD Player U'v bought?
    If U have more then 1 player or a friend that has1,try your Discs,if they work,then U know for sure its the player
    I have definetly found that it is best to have at least 2 of everything,by different Mfg.,just for the sake of testing.How else U gonna know for sure,where the problem lies [Player,Media]

10. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello eyeofnewt,
    I agree with Rick. Not all AVIs are played. I would suggest you something better than just returning your player. Convert avi to DVD, burn a copy and play it. If it is OK, then the avi file is a problem. Try a few others avi too.
    Good luick!
    Roma

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ yromashin..I don't think U are totaly right with this quote
    [Convert AVI to DVD, burn a copy and play it. If it is OK, then the AVI file is a problem.].I don't think its the AVI's.There are 2 items that are listed [QPEL,& SOMETHING ELSE]that makes AVI'S unreadable,by most players.It is recommend that U run your files through NanDub to remove.In order for them 2 play,U have to use G-Spot to reconize
    I have had very little problems playing AVI's on my computer,or converting them to DVD's,whether they be partialy encoded,QPEL,etc.but certain Players just won't read the files [AVI'S].But will play the DVD's after conversion.The nice thing about AVI's,& Players is quality & Disc capacity EXAMPLE:[all 12 episodes of ROME,AVI's 1 Disc,converted to DVD 4 Disc]

12. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

It's QPEL and GMC.

Re-dub it!! I've had this player for 53 weeks now, and every problem I've had with divx/xvid has been solved by re-encoding.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ mhudson7..Thank U that has been racking my brains,I'll put that in NanDub as txt to remember..my memory is not as good as it used to be...Just seems that these Philips 642's,more problems keep popping up & Philips is trying to pass the buck instead of liveing up to it.Also a lot of new noobs to Divx,that are still learning..Now that the Players are becomeing more popular & availeable,people are buying them.My self I've got a lot to learn yet.But I love DIVX..WELL NOT LOVE,but U know what I meen
    I sure hope my advice has been stearing people in the right direction,instead of cunfuseing them.I try the most simplistic wording

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2005
  14. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Yep! Standalone Divx players are not really ready for prime time IMHO. However, for tinkers like us, they're great. I hear improved chipsets are on the way. Hopefully they will resolve the encoding/compatibility issues that seem to be frustrating everyone.

15. SnakeA5

SnakeA5 Member

I beg to differ... the Philips unit is ok for a person who does moderate Divx/Xvid viewing... but if you really want to take full advantage, you need to get the Oppo... grant it, it's a $200 player but its all a DivX & Xvid lover could want...

I've been watching & enjoying XviD & DivX movies on standalone players for almost 3 years now. Out of over 1000 discs or movie, I've maybe had 25-30 that wouldnt play. That was B4 I got the Oppo of course...

16. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I hear the Oppo has problems with packed bitstreams. What do you think? Interestingly, the 642 has no such problems. Fortunately, it's easily corrected.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Lets face it although DIVX,XVID&Players have been around for awhile.Improvements are being made,almost daily.Until these improvement reach their peak,which won't be long "HOPEFULLY".Nobody is going to be totaly satisfied or without problems.Someday in the near future all player will be capable of playing anything,no matter what type of Divx,Xvid,CD,or DVD,or codec is used.It totaly stands on the consumers head,as to what we have preference to.I for one have noticed an increase in interest by Retailers such as Circuit City,BestBuy,CompUSA.Not as many as stand alone DVD Players.But Divx DVD players are on the rise.My own personal feelings are that one day all players will have these compatibilities,and be as near to flawless as possible.

18. drosoph

drosoph Member

1) How do I know what version I have -- 642/17 vs 642/37 vs 642/xx ???
    2) How can you tell what firmware version is loaded?
    3) I am having a hard time getting Xvid videos to play. They play fine w/ video and audio, but the video is so garbled, its useless.
    4) Where, in GSpot, would I see QPEL or GMC listed ?

Thanks,
    Drosoph

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello drosoph
    1) How do I know what version I have -- 642/17 vs 642/37 vs 642/xx ???
    ANSWER 1:It will be on the bx or back of player
    2) How can you tell what firmware version is loaded?
    ANSWER 2:Don't know..hang in their someone will come along with the answer\
    3) I am having a hard time getting XviD videos to play. They play fine w/ video and audio, but the video is so garbled, its useless.
    ANSWER 3:Where did U get the video ? Some Video U D/L is crap..Some needs to be run through NanDub
    4) Where, in GSpot, would I see QPEL or GMC listed ?
    ANSWER 4: If U don't see it,its not their.It should show up on the left in Video,I think the d box

20. vspede

vspede Member

Afterdawn has the newest Gspot that will show you if you have qpel or GMC. When you drag your video into Gspot it'll show up on the Upper Right Corner. There are little boxes surrounding it and if you looks closely the little boxes say QPel or GMC, etc etc.

Thats the latest beta version of Gspot of course. I had an older one and it didnt show me it. Definitely get the newer one.