1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Adam8756

Adam8756 Member

"YA you can..BOY o boy..this is 2006 everybodies got a DVD Burner.They are cheap !! YOU'VE got to have an old computer ? Must take ages to D/L
    sorry not trying to be insulting"
    lol, not old at all. that's the sad thing :/ I bought it from Dell in April of 2005.

CPU Info: (1 CPU - Intel Pentium 4, 2.79 GHz, L2: 1024KB (5% Load))

2. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Bronco4,

You can download Auto Gordian Knot from here:
    http://www.autogk.me.uk/

The site (Auto Gordian Knot home page) contains Tutorial.
    Interesting to try it and compare with VirtualDubMod and VirtualDub.

Roma

3. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

It uses virtualdub! It just does all the setup for you.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

That is correct..So which is the easiest way ?I''ve actually found that most software lead bak to VirtualDub..So if its simpler why not use it

5. bronco4

bronco4 Member

rick5446,
    You asked me if my player was acknowledging Qpel why would I want to see it (using gspot)? Well the simple answer is ,if I could see it I would not waste my time burning what ends up a coaster...
    Do you re-encode every movie you download or just the ones that won't play,unless you re-encode them?
    I am using gspot version 2.21. Is that version suppose work in reconizing Qpel?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bronco

6. bronco4

bronco4 Member

rick5446
    I forgot to ask,when do you use full processing mode or direct stream copy for your video and also your audio.Does it matter?
    I re-encoded a few movies using full processing mode for video and direct stream for audio,and they appear to be ok.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ bronco4..That was my point..Why do u need to see Qpel ? U don't the frickin thing won't play so u have to re encode to remove it

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ bronco4..Could not tell ya any converting I do I use Auto GK..THAT IS THE SIMPLEST way for me..the only times I really get into NanDub is if the Audio or VIdeo need a little work or for joining AVI's

9. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

For anyone considering trying AutoGK, it is essential that you choose the option for ESS compatibility during installation or the files won't play on the 642. Double check by setting up a conversion and hitting CTRL-F9 (before hitting the start button) and look in the bottom right corner for ESS standalone compatibility.

10. Burnist

Burnist Member

Question about the firmware for this player. I got mine about 2 weeks ago. Its the DVP642, firmware version says 1223. On Philips website however, the latest firmware they have posted is 1109, posted on Nov 17, 2005. Doesn't most firmware revision get higher in number with each new build? If this is the case, how is the firmware on my player bought in the store so much higher than what Philips is currently offering? Should I upgrade or leave as is? Thanks!

11. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

Anyone using the Philips 642 and watching xvid or divx movies needs this utility. I tells you if Qpel or GMC is used in the encode. Packed bitstream, nvops, etc.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=680

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ jmikeh..Does not G-Spot tell U if your file had Qpel or GMC. I think the little tags in the top right corner will light up with what is what.
    As far as I can see this is just another tool to ID with..Now if it were to modify,that would be great
    Mind U I've not used this yet,it might have a few tricks
    Give a little more of what just might occur & just what it does,seems you have used this somewhat
    Extra tools don't hurt,I'll try it the next time I HAVE an AVI to look at

13. Burnist

Burnist Member

Any idea on the firmware guys? (See my post 3 posts back)

What version are you all using?

14. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello,

I bought my player more that a year ago, upgraded filmware from something lower to 109. We are all waiting for a new filmware, which is not available on the site yet. I would not rush to upgrade (???) your filmware. I would check if it plays more than 109, for example, AVIs with Q-Pel (XviD). If "yes", hey, send me a copy!

Roma

15. Burnist

Burnist Member

When you say 109, you mean 1109 right? Because 1109 is the most current firmware on Philips site. Why mine says 1223, I still don't get. Is something like Qpel support being added even something that could be done on the firmware level? I would think that would be beyong the scope of what firmware could do but I could be totally wrong.

16. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Sorry, Burnist,

I meant 1109.

Roma

17. bob2559

bob2559 Member

Burnist, according to the Philips site the latest firmware is dated Dec. 2005. Firmware version 1109 is much older than 12/05, so I would say that you have the most recent firmware.

Why don't you test it with a QPEL disk and let us know if the new firmware handles it.

18. Kayess

Kayess Member

I just recently purchased the DVP642/37. The firmware version I got with mine also says 1223. It says that it was manufactured on Dec 2005. Has anybody figured out if 1223 is the latest version for the firmware or not?
    Also I have audio visual sync problems with most of the avi and mpeg files I try to play on the dvd player. Anybody know how to fix this problem?

19. Burnist

Burnist Member

bob2559,

Unfortunately, Qpel still won't play under my firmware revision, 1223. :(

I'm guessing 1223 is indeed the latest revision.

20. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Kayess,

I posted a guide with images one-two pages back.

Roma