1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. arashbmw

arashbmw Member

for those who keep asking that how to play a divx file, just burn it to a cd with nero and play.

and also. i'll put this one in capitals so that no one miss this one.

THE EJECT BUTTON IS THE STOP BUTTON. JUST HOLS THE STOP BUTTON FOR 2 SECONDS AND THE DISK EJECTS.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well I ran into a problem with an AVI [PROOF] THE QUALITY WAS EXCELLENT,but could not get audio to sync.No matter how I tried.Now bear in mind this is only my second problem in 200.So I finaly figured out how to fix it[wait for the frickin thing to come out on DVD]WAULA problem solved.Of all the files that are available,I find that the 1 or 2 that can't be fixed aren't worth trying,same with bad quality..BETTER Off waiting..just venting..THANKS ALL this has helped me greatly.I appreciate ya'll listening.sorry about the hollering

3. boriskush

boriskush Member

I just bought dvp642 and i'm having troubles playing .avi files created with my Canon digital camera. Does this mean that this player does not support these files?

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

boriskush..Try a different movie that is AVI..It might be the way U converted it..not ness. the player..Their are certain kinds of AVI's that it won't play

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2006
  5. boriskush

boriskush Member

just to clarify:

I tried to play .avi file created by my Canon digital camera. i think they call it "motion jpeg" movie. I did not change it in any way - just copied on cd. it shows in the list of files but when i select it and press OK it continues to play mp3s I have on this disk - basically ignoring the movie.

does this mean that it ONLY plays MPEG encoded files and will not play other .avi files (like from digital cameras)?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  6. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

It will play DivX and XviD encoded AVI files (MPEG 4), but not motion JPEGs.

7. polsum

polsum Guest

Ok guys, I am a newbie here. I just got my DVP 642/37 last week. So far so good. It plays everything. But i have a rather wierd problem. I usually burn ~6 .AVI movie files with XviD codec on to DVD-R discs. When i try to play them, The first file plays audio and video, but the video has many ghost images in it..i mean the images of video are surrounded by ghost images and video quality sooooo poor. Then i go to system menu and in the video output i change the S-video form to YPbPr form. Then the video plays fine. Then, for the second file (which is in the exact same format i.e. .AVI with XViD) again ghost images come. Then i change the video out put to S-video from YPbPr form. Then it plays fine. Samething goes on for all the files.

Interesting thing is i dont even have a S-Video cable connected to my player. Eventhen it plays fine when i change ouput to s-video.

Can any one suggest any remedy for this? Its so annoyinf that i have to change the output for every file that i play.

thanks in advance.

8. wudaddy

wudaddy Member

I have tried 2 avi movie files on this DVD player. They both work but however, one of the movie doesn't have sound, while the other one plays sound perfectly. I have found out that the one that doesn't play sound has an audio vibrate of 384 while the one that can play sound has an audio vibrate of 112. To my knowledge, the player can only play up to 256 audio vibrate, right? If so, how do I convert my 384 to 256?

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

wudaddy..U might try running your AVI THROUGH NanDub set both audio & VIDEO to direct stream & save it as a new AVI & SEE IF THAT FIXES your problem

10. sneek

sneek Member

can somebody help me I can't figure out how to make subtitles work
    fist i play the movie then i hit disc menu and select the subtitle file... what am i doing wrong and what kinda of files does the 642 accept

TIA
    and sry im a major noob at this

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

[off_topic]

I have just made a discovery! The Philips Generic MPEG-4 codec can not only decode Divx and Xvid files but also WMV-9 Advanced profile (VC-1 A.K.A. WMV-HD) files! While it can't play the WMV-HD files, it says that the resolution isn't supported, it can play VC-1 files encoded at 480i and 480p. Alas, the WMA codec isn't supported but it is cool to know that Philips MPEG-4 is solid.

This leads me to my question...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/305837

[/off_topic]

Thankx for reading,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2006
  12. hciman77

hciman77 Member

I have just bought a DVP642 and I plan to use it as an audio player for my work system, i.e without a TV connected. I have a few concerns though.

Firstly what is the default audio setup. I plan to use the player with an analog headphone amplifier, so no Dolby etc, will I need to connect it to a TV to set the audio or is it good old stereo by default ?

Secondly will it really play SACD, the manual says it will - I dont have any SACDS but I might be tempted to risk buying one or two.

Lastly the manual says it is normal for mp3s to skip - I ordered the player before I read the manual, foolish me, if this is a big problem with this player I will likely just send it back unopened and stick with my iRiver.

Cheers All.

Jim

13. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

I have not had any problems with mp3 skipping on my Philips. I normally use 128 or 160 bitrate. Could be the bitrate that you are using if you have a skipping problem..

14. hciman77

hciman77 Member

Er, sorry I did not make myself clear. I dont have a skipping problem yet as the player has not arrived. The manual however did say that it was normal for Mp3s to skip and this concerned me. It is nice to hear that you have not had these problems - maybe Philips are just covering themselves.

Finally - is the player reasonably quiet. Although my office is quite noisy I would hear a loud transport - my PC CD-Rom drive for instance is amazingly loud.

15. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Never had an MP3 skipping problem on good quality media. Don't expect gapless playback, however; e.g., slight pause between tracks on live recordings.

16. deeluxx

deeluxx Member

I'm sure this has probably been posted but here's a very simple fix for audio sync and ghosting image problems - hit the system menu button to open the menu - then hit it again to go back to the video.
    That's it, you don't have to do anything or make any changes. Don't ask me why it works because I don't know, but it does.

Obviously this won't work if the file itself is out of sync, but if it just drifts as the video plays - hit the system button twice - problem solved.

17. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

Really dumb question, but can I find this DVD player in Canada?, if so, where?.

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, thx for ur help ;-D

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

cbrooks....COMPUSA carries this player..if U don't have these stores in Canada U could probably order them on their web site..fair warning though buy the extended warranty

19. theauteur

theauteur Member

Help!

I currently have a dvp 642. I have a heap of my movies that have already been encoded as divx and xvid .avi files. The problem is....
    they were not encoded in standalone compatibility mode for the ESS chipset, (which is what the dvp 642 has) This will disable the Qpel.

how can I quickly do a batch process for all of my .avi files and change them over to be compatible with the DVP-642 without losing anymore quality?

thanks.

jo

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theauteur..NanDub or VirtualDub..Start reading on pg 1 of this forum U will eventualy find what has to be done in order to make them compatible