1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. kindlot

kindlot Member

rick5446 - I did the same thing, so many cheap RW's on the store shelve I spaced and picked up 2x ahhh. But I have tried every combo of disc by different manufacturers and no issues at all.

As reported earlier in the thread the only AVI I can not get to play so far is anything over 720 in size. The only other issue is an occasional voice sync problem. Although I have been running them thru the PocketDivXEncoder @ divx.ppccool.com it's freeware, it will resize the file fast! I have a 2.6 on an intel board and almost every conversion program will choke newsgroup downloads while I am converting, this program doesn't. It also has an audio sync that only takes a few seconds I have been running on almost everything before burning it still had a couple go out of sync but not as many and I am still testing.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

kindlot...Am I reading your post properly ? If U resize or convert with PocketDivXEncoder.That your files will play on your Divx DVD Player..it seems to have a multitude of selections.I'M asumeing U use the Home Vide Cinema,to correct any problems

3. kindlot

kindlot Member

Hey Rick - on PocketDivXEncoder I use the home video size selection (far right icon). So far I use the default @ 520 X ??? and I have been setting the quality @ 200%. It is kind of sweet the 520 resolution has small widescreen bars at top and bottom and I really like it that way. I only convert files with over a 720 resolution. The converted files play fine on my DVP642 and they look good on my 29" tv. It takes about 15-20 min to convert a 50 min show on my intel 2.6 and it doesn't effect anything I may be downloading.

I re-encoded an hour DIVX that had HDTV resolution last night. The last 5 min got out of voice sync, I did the FF & RR it lined up pretty good. This could have been an issue with the original or my fault I ran the audio sync after I re-encoded which could have screwed it up. But I use the files as a DVR situation I don't keep them so it is no biggie.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

kindlot..OK Thanks I'll give it a try

5. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

rick5446 or anyone that knows--
    I apoligize for interupting, but I saw this thread and have read through it, but still am not sure about the abilities of this player--I do not own one, however an elderly neighbor of mine is from Europe and was told he could play his DVD's--these are all in the PAL format--he has asked me to look at it--does anyone know if indeed this player will play his DVD's? Again, I apoligize for interupting--
    Whitfield

7. kindlot

kindlot Member

it plays NTSC & PAL the setup even has an option for which type of TV - www.support.philips.com/productSelector.html Will link you to product specs.

8. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

kindlot --
    Thanks

9. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Whitfield,

I watch both NTSC and a lot of PAL DVDs and AVIs. I do not have to switch anything. I will check later what setting I have.

Roma

10. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

yromashin-

Thanks, I appreciate it

Whitfield

11. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Asked this awhile back in this thread and nobody responded, so here goes again: Has anyone loaded up a dual-layer disc with .avi files and been able to play it in the 642? I know it can handle dual-layer discs with regular dvd-video on it, but I'm wondering how it handles the layer break (if at all) when the thing is packed full of 25 episodes of The Sopranos. Thx.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mrchub..U might be the only who has D/L Discs,I'm sure if anybody knew they would respond..I would suggest if they are made to try a D/L RW & see

13. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

yromashin--
    If you are still around, you said you would check the settings and let me know--The man who owns the player is elderly and I am going to his home next Tuesday and told him I may be able to set his player so that it will work with the PAL disks--

Whitfield

14. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

mrchub,
    I'd be curious to know if that works too... Please post your findings. Thanks! :)

15. chacep

chacep Guest

@whittfield

Just put in a disc and it will play. NTSC or PAL isn't a problem.

16. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

chacep
    --OK--Thanks--I will not even be there til next Tuesday--as I said, He and wife are elderly--but, he says not working--I will find out--Thanks for your help--

Whitfield

17. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

@rick5446: Believe me, if there were such an animal as a DL-RW I'd have tried it long ago!

@ruFFritch: Yeah, well it looks like I may have to be the guinea pig for this experiment. But I can't believe with the slow but steady rise in popularity of DL discs that some 642 owner out there hasn't tried already.

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mrchub..We've all been waiting on U to try & see if it works

19. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Ditto...

20. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

What's it worth to you guys? ;-) Burning one of my carefully-controlled Verb DLs can't be done without a lot of forethought. Kind of like when Elaine was trying to decide who was sponge-worthy and who wasn't.