1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

Yeppers, the only problem I [bold]"HAD"[/bold] w/ this.

That worked like a charm!!. I tried all my troublesome video files, and that cleared up all of them. Thx soo much mrchub for ur quick/easy reply , I relly appreciate it ;-D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi all-- Somewhere way back in this thread I had asked about the PAL compatibility--was told that it would play PAL type disks--and it would not. Read the info at their website and sure enough--some were labeled with the big #1 and the rest were "Region Free"--well, his was an American sold Phillips and only would play disks from this big #1 format. I know I could change them via computer--but did not--

Whitfield

3. usinpa

usinpa Guest

Hi kindlot yes the unit is new just got it but am lost everything i burn with nero plays fine on pc i am using memorex and maxell dvd's i tried all flavors DVD+r, DVD-r, DVD+RW, and DVD-rw's, i have xvid, divx files here i have mpg files here so i tried with all dif file types i have on pc even converting some of my mpg files to divx, steps i took to burn is i opened nero selected dvd and dvd-rom (iso) burned my files to it and it wont play then i tried making video_ts file on disc and burned files inside that folder still same issue will play on pc but not on phillips player. I appreciate any help you could give feel free to even message me via yahoo if it mite be easier my yahoo is usinpa1@yahoo.com thank you very much

4. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Here's what I do-take the files that I've downloaded (xvid/divx-no Ogg Vorbis, Matstroka, h.264 or other wierd types), burn them to either a dvd + or - rw using Sonic My DVD in the data disc creation mode, pop it in my LDA-511, watch and enjoy!

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

usinpa..Sounds like u got one of the lemons..Exchange it !!That happened to me got another player everything is fine now..just hope U bought it at COMP USA or someplace near..I do not recomend buying this unit on the internet

6. usinpa

usinpa Guest

i got it from local walmart so i will swap out for another tomorrow and post back as soon as i got new info thank you much for all your assistance here im glad i joined and will participate more with things i mite be able to help with

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

usinpa...Take it back to Walmart,get your money back.Buy it from Comp USA or Circuit city..They have the Extended Warranty for about 20bucks..This is an extremely good deal with the problems of a decent life span on this unit..The bright side is for 2 or 3 yrs you'll have a good unit

8. nyc_sud

nyc_sud Member

Three attempts in burning Xvid episodes of 24 to DVD+r using Nero (ISO data DVD)resulted in three coasters.

I used MPEG4modifier to check:
    -square pixels
    -non QPel

I also did not burn with multi-session.

Somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
    Noob T

9. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello nyc_sud,

Why don't you take a screen shot of your Gspot and post it here?

Before I do any final burn, I write it on DVD-RW (as data file using NERO) or on CD-RW (data file using NERO) and see if everything is working. If not, I remake it with VirtualDubMod or Virtual Dub. In 99.99% cases everything works.

Roma

10. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello nyc_sud,

Is it what you use (NERO7 Ultra)?

[​IMG]

Roma

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2006
  11. nyc_sud

nyc_sud Member

Roma,

Thanks for your response. I will post the results of the gspot test when I get home. As far as Nero, the option in v6 was ISO Data DVD.

I have been reading all the previous post on this thread (currently on p46). It seems that a few people have had the same problem I was having, disk is Loading then ejected. There was no follow up if or how their problem was resolved. One person stated that he just returned for a new unit.

T

12. usinpa

usinpa Guest

Took unit back brought home replacement all that i burned before play perfect now lol glad i didnt use them as coasters yet. I also noticed first one i bought my wife picked up she got it from middle of pile and it was the DVP642 the new one she brought home i specified to look for the /37 and she found it. again thank you for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2006
  13. yromashin

yromashin Guest

I have never had any problem with my unit. That is why I can only tell about AVI and disk problems.

Roma

14. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

@nyc_sud: Will the burned discs play in your PC?

15. nyc_sud

nyc_sud Member

@mhudson - yes the AVI discs work in the PC.

I think I may need to return this unit for a replacement. I see that USINPA had the same problem and resolved it by exchanging the player.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I tell everybody..buy from COMP USA OR Circuit City..or anybody that has a service contract..for the added 20 buck..down the line it will be 20 bucks well spent..the next problem,being the life span of these players..Not all of them mind U but those that do only last 6 mons or so..U will be able to get repaired or replaced for 2 or 3 years
    If U really read this forum and have a little common sense instead of just posting problems & asking what to do..Well U would know that half the time it is the fault of the player..
    I've been D/Ling AVI FILES FROM THE GET-GO [100's & 100's]I've had very few problems with playing them..Biggest problem being maybe the ends are cut off,or poor quality,blocky section in middle,static in audio,maybe audio out of sync...BUT they all play
    I own this player,plus 2 more different brands..all have been dicussed through-out this & many other forums..I listen to what is being said

17. kindlot

kindlot Member

nyc_sud - since they play on your PC and the disc are finalized then click on the file with your right mouse button check the advance summary and make sure the dimensions do not exceed 640 x ??? or less it will not play 720 X ???. I have been using pocket encoder http://DivX.ppccool.com to re encode it's fast, free and decent.

usinpa problem is a little different he can't play any type of RW DVD or CD it is the same problem I had and I had to return the unit. I suspect like mine it did play R's just fine.

18. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I beg to differ...I'm watching one now that's 720 x 320.

19. nyc_sud

nyc_sud Member

When I check the contents of the burned disk in the explorer window, the files are present but the file type does not state Video Clipit just list File.

Can this be the reason the player does not recoginze the contents of the disk?

If so, what am I doing wrong when burning the AVI to data DVD in Nero?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  20. nyc_sud

nyc_sud Member

@Roma

Here is the results of the MPEG4modifier
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006