1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. SmokeyJo

SmokeyJo Guest

That's interesting that the 14 bit video dacs in the Dn191H don't show an improvement over the 10 bit dacs in the 511 player,which begs the question what processing chips are used in the lg players? I got an 191H over the weekend and will do some tests on the player this weekend.Shame the hacks don't work as you stated,so newer firmware,which only means a different set of codes all in order.

2. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I took the case cover off and it uses a Zoran Vadis 888 chipset.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  3. bizbyte

bizbyte Member

I just bought the LG-DN191H @ BB. I create a couple of DVD+R's to try out with the new player. It sounds like it is trying to spin-up but never actually gets there.. Any suggestions on why? I've tried several DVD+R's and it doesn't seem to want to read any of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

What kind of dvd+r's did you create?

5. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

And will they play in your computer?

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  6. SmokeyJo

SmokeyJo Guest

First off did you finalize your +r dvd's? It sounds like the player can't locate the menu track that's why it's speeding up and down.This finalization process is necessary for other dvd players to recognize write once dvd media like +R and -r.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

If by chance U are using DVD+or-RW's & U have Recorded on them 10or12 times,with a regular erase[format]less then a min..I have found that U have to do a full erase[format].This improves your players capability to read the DISC

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

If by chance U are using DVD+or-RW's & U have Recorded on them 10or12 times,with a regular erase[format]less then a min..I have found that U have to do a full erase[format].This improves your players capability to read the DISC.Especialy if U use the Disc's a lot

9. Haran

Haran Member

Hey guys,

I have the Philips DVP642 and have had no trouble playing any kind of dvds, vcds, cds on it.. now my only problem is I cannot seem to play my dvd mp3 disc in random mode. Is there a random play mode? Please help :)

10. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

An update on my earlier posts regarding dual/double-layer discs packed with .avi files and whether the 642 can handle them...

I just finished burning 22 Xvid .avi files (each 350MB) onto a Verbatim dvd+r dl disc, and the 642 loves it. All files are recognized and play fine. I was worried that the layer break would somehow either cause one of the files to freeze or not play at all, but that didn't happen. I don't know exactly where Nero placed the layer break, but I fast-forwarded through the episodes where it might have been placed and they all play fine.

So if anyone else is considering doing this, I say go for it.

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea I have also had succes with DVD+R Double Layer media and the DVP642. I burned a copy of Riddick to a Fujifilm DVD+R DL disc, didn't have any problems at all!

Ced

12. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

diabolos, that was a regular dvd-video burn or it was a big .avi file? Very different since the 22 .avi files I burned are burned as a data disc. I don't think there's been any question that the 642 can play regular dvd-video burned onto a DL disc. Just about any player manufactured in the last few years can do that provided the burn isn't bad.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  13. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Great info, thanks for the update mrchub, and to you also diabolos.
    mrchub's update is great news for DVP642 owners who love their tv shows!

14. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Yeah, if only Lost S2 will be small enough for it all to fit on one DL disc. Same for 24, S5. Guess I'll have to wait for the final episode.

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

JUST a small change in topic here..I just bought the new Magnavox MWD7006..at WalMart 40.00bucks/w tx..It does handle the QPEL,but unfortunately it will not play all KVCD's or SVCD's..I've tried several diff DISC's.IT will play KVCD mpeg1,Not KVCD MPEG2...I Also tried to extract the raw mpeg frm the KVCD MPEG2,but did not play either..So I'm thinking it does not reconize raw mpeg data.I'M GOING TO CALL TODAY & SEE WHATS UP,Maybe something in the settings or firmware will correct..the unit is a simple 1 no digital display on the fornt,the on screen menu is nice,it's made of hard plastic,feels like nothing in the bx.The remote is well layed out & quite user friendly,even though the bttns R small.20 mins to remember where everything is..I think the unit is worth keeping an eye on.But for myself,I have more KVCD's then QPEL AVI's,so I'm a little disappointed that it won't play all
    O YA Philips & Magnavox made by same Co.

16. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Sounds like we need a master thread for other players. I've been thinking of getting another since my trusty 642 has been working like a 2-dollar hooker for almost two years now (knock on wood). I figure I'm on borrowed time!

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mrchub..thats a very good idea..although!This forum is for 642 others have been mentioned on ocassion,even media has been talked about.All has been very helpful to me.I've purchased 4 different DIVX Players,thanks to this forum.But unfortunately I can only get about 85% satisfaction on any unit..They all have certain drawbacks,they all have certain qualities..SOMEDAY someone will make the 100% player.Ooo that is when donkeys fly

18. JWolf06

JWolf06 Member

Hello everybody, I'm new here. I bought my DVP642 back in November and for the most part, I'm happy with it, except for two things:

1. If I'm fastforwarding or rewinding anything, or if I have it in pause and I click on "play", it will shut itself off completely about 1 out of every 6 or 7 times I do any of those things. Anybody else have this problem?

2. I have a 50" widescreen DLP and I set the DVD player to "16:9" (or whatever setting is used for widescreen) under the settings and it will display normal DVDs fine, but with divx or xvid files if these are in widescreen format the DVD player will treat it as if I had set it to play in "4:3" format, like a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD would. This is really agravating as I have component cables and my TV's zoom feature will not work under component. Is there a fix for this?, I read posts from 2004 in this thread that were complaining about the same thing but I'm wondering if this was fixed with an update. If not, is there a standalone DVD/divx player out there that is capable of displaying widescreen divx files properly in widescreen TVs? Thank you for your help!

19. SmokeyJo

SmokeyJo Guest

rick5446 I was wondering if you or anyone else here has ever tried Denon's dvd players? They seem to get good grades from what I see(I know their in a different price range.I was checking out the 2910.

20. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Another DL update, though only for fellow TV addicts like me. Unfortunately those 24-episode shows that are concluding their seasons right now (e.g., 24, Desp. Housewives, etc.) won't fit neatly on one DL disc. The last episode puts it over. Too bad the default size for one-hour shows is 350MB (obviously designed to be half of one cd) instead of 1/24 of the capacity of a DL disc ;-)