1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

JWolf06 - yes, I've had it cut off on me a few times like that. I never have figured out how or why. I just assumed I accidently hit the power button or something.

I have no idea what to do about the widescreen issue.

2. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

@ JWolf06: Could it be that your projector is defaulting back to 4:3? Have you tried changing the setting there? I do not have a widescreen display device, so I cannot test this at the moment.

I suppose it could be the way the files are encoded, perhaps they are encoded in letterbox format. Are you ending up with pillars on either side and on the top and bottom?

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello..SmokeyJo..http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/DenonDVD3910Review1.php
    I can't see where this player will play Divx..For the price [$1500.00]I think it should handle all formats including H264

4. SmokeyJo

SmokeyJo Guest

Hey rick5446,thanks for the link to the 3910 Unbelievable huh?,and how about the 5910 at a staggering $3,799.00 saw it at CRUTCHFIELD'S website..wow

5. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

6. JWolf06

JWolf06 Member

ruFFritch
    Both my TV and DVD player are set to 16:9, plus anamorphic DVDs play fine (they fill up the screen, at least those that are in the 1.85 : 1 ratio, with no image distortion), so I don't think this is the case.

I'll give you an example. Here are some screenshots of my favorite movie, The Godfather:

This is how the original movie looks like on my TV, being an anamorphic DVD it fills up my TV screen:

[​IMG]

However, when I view AVI files of widescreen movies, this is what shows up, even though both my TV and my DVD player are set to 16:9 :

[​IMG]

Notice the distortion of the image and the black bars at top and bottom.

The easy workaround I usually do is to set my TV to 4:3, and I end up with this:

[​IMG]

No more distortion (which is what annoys me the most), but all that screen real estate gets wasted. (Edit: I can't use my TV's zoom feature at this point, since I use component cables and for some reason the zoom feature is disabled under those circumstances)

Another workaround I have used is to convert the files to DVD, and the software I use automatically know that these are 16:9 AVI files, so I know they're not set to 4:3, and once converted to DVD the image shows up fine in my TV. But this defeats the whole purpose of having a divx player. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  7. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

JWolf06, Hmmm, what happens if you set the player to 4:3 and the projector to 16:9? Please humor me. :) Thanks.
    Also, does the divx version play fine on your PC.. ie: no distortion, no matt (black bars)?

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Philips DVP5140 is the first DVD player to support ULTRA DivX and may replace the most popular DVD player DVP642. It plays most formats that includes MPEG, DivX (GMC and Q-pel) AVI, etc.
    $54.88
    NOTICE it says GMC and QPEL...This is about time..sure will save a lot

9. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

The DVP5140 sounds great.. is the price $54 in the US or Canada? Thanks Dan & Rick

10. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

@JWolf06

We've got to figure this out. I want to buy a widescreen ASAP! What is the resolution (WxH) of the xvid?

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ruFFritch..Philips DVP5140,Thats U.S.Dollar..But it turned out to be a disappointment for me.It plays all[QPEL] AVI,XVID,DIVX A-OK.
    But it would not play KVCD's mpeg2,or SVCD's which is also mpeg2 or raw mpegs..Which I have a lot of both,so the few QPEL I have,I'll just have to go on converting to DVD to enjoy.Hell a DVD Disc is only about .30
    But what's really strange it plays KVCD's mpeg1 & VCD mpeg1
    Also Plays DVD's ok,which is mpeg2 [STRANGE]

12. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

That is odd... thanks for the heads up! :)

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ruFFritch..Sorry about that I listed the wrong player.The Philips DVP5140/37 PLAYS EVERYTHING [QPEL included].I tested every type of Disc that I have.Don't know about PAL as I ain't got nun
    It was the Magnavox MWD7006..turned out to be a disappointment for me.It plays all[QPEL] AVI,XviD,DivX A-OK.
    But it would not play KVCD's mpeg2,or SVCD's which is also mpeg2 or raw mpegs..Which I have a lot of both,so the few QPEL I have,I'll just have to go on converting to DVD to enjoy.Hell a DVD Disc is only about .30
    But what's really strange it plays KVCD's mpeg1 & VCD mpeg1
    Also Plays DVD's ok,which is mpeg2 [STRANGE]

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2006
  14. barricade

barricade Guest

I am pretty sure my unit is fried, because I haven't been able to turn it on for a couple days now. I recently upgraded the firmware. When I did this, I didn't label the CD. When I was at work my girlfriend decided to put all of my unlabeled disks in the player to see what they were, and label them accordingly. She put the firmware one in, and she said it was in for about 30 seconds and it said ERASE, then she hit the stop button and ejected it. Is all hope lost for this player? :(

15. gogochar

gogochar Guest

I'll try that next.

16. mlevski

mlevski Guest

I have one problem with my DVP642... when i burn a burn a disck it ussually contains from four to six movies on it, but sometimes when i try to play them ussually one or two of the movies on the disk have bad colors on the tv, it kinda looks like you are watching a puzzle of colors, so my question is is there something wrong with my player or is there any way to fix that problem...and also i read about the new Phillips dvp5140 does it have the same problem and is it better player than the dvp642 and how???

17. barricade

barricade Guest

Press the system menu button twice while the movie is playing, that should do the trick

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2006
  18. JWolf06

JWolf06 Member

[bold]ruFFritch[/bold] and [bold]mhudson7[/bold],

Sorry for the late reply, my Internet is down at home righ now so I'm replying from work ;) I tried setting the player to 4:3 and projector to 16:9, no luck. Same thing, black bars at top and bottom of movie. When I play it using a Divx player there are NO visible black bars and the resoution is fine. When I copy the files to DVD, Nerovision Express (program I use to convert to DVD format) gets the properties of the AVI file as "16x9".

I think the player ignores the "16:9" setting when playing AVI files :( so it automatically creates the black bars at top and bottom of the image it sends to my TV as it does to anamorphic widescreen DVDs when I set it to output for "4:3". Because my TV is 16:9, it stretches that image to the sides to fill up the screen. This is very, very frustrating. I tried messing around with the setting this past weekend and nothing.

19. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Jwolf06: I understand your frustration!! Are you certain that the [bold] image was distorted [/bold] on all of your trials? It is possible that the movie is in it's original film format of 2:1 or 2.35:1, and therefore you would still see some matting at the top and bottom.
    Another thing I can suggest is to try a different encoding software such as virtualdubmod. I don't have any experience with Nerovision express, and I am not sure why you are converting DIVX files at all. You need just burn them as they are, make data cds or data dvds (as long as they check out well in mpeg4modifier and G-Spot that is) ;-).
    Like I mentioned before, I do not have a widescreen display, so I cannot test any of this, but I would imagine there are other peeps in this forum with 16:9 display devices who can comment on whether or not they are having troubles with distorted (squashed or stretched) images with their DVP642.
    My final guess is that perhaps Nerovision is doing something that you don't want it to do to your files. Try burning with a regular cd/dvd burning software like Nero Burning Rom, Roxio Easy Media, Cybelink Power to Go, or similar. You do not want to burn your Divx files as any kind of video file, just data files. This will ensure that the file stays exactly as it was on your hard drive without any tampering.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  20. JWolf06

JWolf06 Member

[bold]ruFFritch[/bold], sorry if I confused you, let me backtrack a little bit. I burn my AVI files to DVD+RW's (no conversion of any kind, just AVI format files). The 4:3 aspect ratio AVIs show up fine on my TV, as long as I set my TV to 4:3 also. Now, 16:9 AVIs are a whole different matter. When I try to display these files is when I get the distorted image (see second image in my other post). I'm positive they are distorted, because they are displayed on my TV exactly as the images I had posted earlier. As I had mentioned before, the easy workaround is to set my TV to 4:3 (third image in previous example) I do this workaround to fix the distortion, but as you can see, there are now black bars on ALL sides of the screen. Enter Nerovision Express. I found out that if I converted 16:9 AVIs to DVD format using Nerovision, I can then view these movies on my TV with 16:9 resolution with no problems at all! No distortion and no black bars. This is the only time I use Nerovision. It seems that Nerovision recognizes the 16:9 setting on the AVI and automatically creates an anamorphic widescreen DVD image out of it.

As I had mentioned earlier, I believe that the Philips dvp642 player ignores its 16:9 setting for AVIs and automatically adds black bars to them as if the display setting was set to 4:3. :(

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006