Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Barricade,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have had the same thing too. The only difference was that I could not have stopped my player. After I unplugged it, it was dead.

Can you open a tray? If not, then you have to buy another player.

Regards,

Roma

2. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Hey Jwolf06,
    That is a pisser.. what a drag havin' to convert!! Isn't that why we all bought this player? So we wouldn't have to convert to DVD format anymore!!?? Sorry I can't help ya man. I wish ya the best of luck!

Anyone else have a wide screen TV or Projector that has Jwolf06's problem??

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I have the Sony 60in WEGA & all is fine with here..With the 642 I get a little blocking or out of sync audio every so often.But a short rewind seems to fix that.I just bought the Philips DVP5140/37 55.00 WalMart,so far I'm pleased 5/25 th 6/6.have'nt turned it of yet

4. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

rick5446 - are you referring to Jwolf06's widescreen problem? If so, that's good news because I'm saving to get a bigscreen plasma. Hopefully it means there's a solution for Jwolf06.

What do you think of the Sony? Keep us posted on the DVP5140/37.

5. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Hey rick5446,
    Got any tips for Jwolf06 and Mhudson7?

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mhudson7..I think the 60"Wega is great has built in HD Tuner,definetly a need,so make sure U check the prices with & without TUNER.A lot of people think they have a High Def TV,till they get it home & need to buy a 4 or 500 dllr ad on TUNER.As with all the technolgy..everything improves,[along with price hikes of course]I payed $3,000,think its up a bit now.What I think is great is 4 settings,normal,full,zoom,wide zoom.I prefer the wide zoom,pic quality is great for DVD&HD.As with anything reg TV looks better on a small screen tube type 37"or smaller.AVI's if DVD rips,Telecyne,HD D/Led TV Series look remarkably good.Anything else only as good as U get.SOso AVI's definetly look better on smaller screen..Will definetly keep U posted on the new DVD Player..Its still running 24/7

7. riga

riga Member

A problem with my 642 has just developed. It stopped playing DVDs. Insert..."READING"...."NO DISC". CDs are fine. But not DVDs...and I've tried 6 or 8 different....avi, dvd, etc. Ever heard of this? Is it dead? Thanks

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Yep..when I first bought mine right out of the bx..had to trade it

9. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Make sure the screws on the tray are tight... it's a well documented problem that they come loose and wreak havoc. :)

10. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

Therein lies your answer, Divx/Xvid aren't anamorphic. When you set it to 16x9, it stretches the picture as if it were anamorphic creating the distortion. On my Hitachi HDTV I have to set it to 4x3 and then zoom it to fill the screen.

11. JWolf06

JWolf06 Member

Aaah, so that makes sense. This stinks because, as I had mentioned earlier, I have component inputs from DVD player to TV and my TV for some reason disables the "zoom" feature when using component inputs. Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep converting my AVI files to DVD then.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

JWolf06..Your TV should'nt disable the Zoom on YOUR Player

13. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

I have to do the same for letterboxed DVDs. Luckily there aren't many.

14. JWolf06

JWolf06 Member

[bold]rick5446[/bold]
    True, but there's a problem. Remember that the only way for my TV to display the movie in its correct aspect ratio is when I set my TV to 4:3. If I use the Zoom-in feature in this mode on my DVD player, it will only zoom in WITHIN the 4:3 box that my TV encases the image in, which means that while I won't get bars at top and bottom of screen I will still have the ones to the left and right, with a lot of the movie image cropped out and nowhere to be seen.

On the other hand, if I have my TV set to widescreen AND I use the zoom in feature on my DVD player, the image is already distorted, which means that the following will happen: while the image will fill up the screen, it is already a distorted image with the left and right side of it cropped out.

The ideal thing for me would be to set my TV to 4:3 so that the movie is displayed in its correct aspect ratio AND THEN be able to use the zoom-in feature on my TV to fill up the screen with the image properly...but as I had mentioned, this feature is not available for me :(

15. JWolf06

JWolf06 Member

[bold]Mac_Cool[/bold]
    I use DVD Rebuilder to create anamorphic widescreen DVDs out of letterboxed DVDs. Sometimes the quality comes out looking like crap, especially with long movies or those that were originally encoded using a low bitrate, but many do look great. I'm picky when it comes to viewing movies, I won't touch a pan-and-scan DVD if the movie was originally widescreen and I won't watch a distorted movie. Too picky for my own good I guess.

16. azncutie

azncutie Member

i've read through the thread but i can't find the answer to this question. how do u get firmware off the philips site? is it still there? and wat exactly is it? how does it work? also is it free? srry if i repeated questions but i can't find it anywhere. thanx. :]

17. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

It's not on the site. Here you go:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Philips/Philips-DVD-642K-firmware-1109.shtml

This is the most current downloadable firmware, but the 1223 is the only version I know of that's newer and I couldn't find it after a quick Google. Keep in mind that if you have the older 0531 version, this was the Macrovision-less one. Remember, "upgrade" often means "worse". Even this firmware here (1109) has been out for well over a year. Reportedly, however, the DVP-630 firmwares at the Philips site are actually designed for the 642 as well as the 630. See also:

DVP-642 thread
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/179318

0531 firmware!
    http://edseek.com/mirror/dvp642/

Probably the latest
    http://www.link.si/~ezadnik/Alec999/index.htm

Spanish DVP-642 site w/ hacked firmwares
    http://www.cfide.com.br/dvp/

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  18. azncutie

azncutie Member

thanx so much. that helps a lot. i've been contemplating on getting this dvd player and i wasn't sure if it would be able to play subtitles. after reading that thread u recommended it answered my questions. thanx! :] in your opinion how is the subtitle display on this dvd player? that is a main factor since most of my cds contain subtitles. ur feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanx again. :]

19. JWolf06

JWolf06 Member

Aaah! Actually, this isn't Spanish (I speak Spanish), the site's in Portuguese I believe, and I can barely understand what it says, what's the difference between these hacked firmwares and the official ones?

20. bcounty

bcounty Member

Hi everyone,

I own a DVP642 and have a couple questions:

1. I noticed that it only has 10 bit, 54MHz for the video. I now see that you can can the model DVP3040 for only 50 bucks, and that has 12 bit, 108 MHz for the video (as well as it plays DivX 6.0). (I actually paid around 70 bucks for my 642 at the time, so $50 seems cheap.) Is it worth getting the 3040 for the increased video output? Will my divx-burned dvds look that much better?

2. I've seen some discussion of the 5140 here, which also has 12 bit, 108 MHz for the video -- but no talk about the 3040. What does the 5140 have over the 3040, other than the Super Divx thing, which I don't think I'd ever use?

3. Do both the 5140 and the 3040 have 4x video upsampling like the 642?

4. It looks like the 3040 (and possibly the 5140) do not play mpeg4 like the 642, only mpeg 1 & 2 -- is this true? And if so, what effect would this actually have on playing stuff back? How important is mpeg4 playback?

Thanks for the help!