1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bcounty

bcounty Member

Hi,

I burned a downloaded TV show to DVD to watch on my 642 player, and two out of the six episodes there is no picture, only a blank screen. But there is audio. I'm pretty sure I tested all six shows on the computer and on my friends 3040 player and they all played with picture.

Is there some reason why the 642 wouldn't show the picture on two of them?

Could they possibly be encoded a different way than the others?

Is there a way to tell?

Thanks!

2. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

@ bcounty: Yep, check them with mpeg4modifier. I always run my vids through mpeg4modifier before burning.
    Load the vid into mpeg4modifier by either browsing for it, or just drag and drop it onto the app.
    Here is what you want to see: square pixels, no more than 2 consecutive B-vops, no Qpel, no GMC, if there is a mpeg CUSTOM quantization type, it will not work. It should be H263, or MPEG, I have not had a problem with either quant type.
    Packed bitstream or not... does not seem to have any effect, I have AVIs that have both, they work fine.
    Of course there will also be some files that mpeg4modifier will not open at all, these will not work in this player. You will need to full re-encode these.
    I have prolly forgotten some other shiznit, but this is the basics for playing vids on this fussy player. BTW, it ain't fussy if you know what to give it!! ;-)
    Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bcounty..Also U can try to run them through VirtulDub with Direct stream copy checked.This has helped me quite a bit.Save as new file,copy it to a RW & SEE IF IT PLAYS,But definetly check for QPEL,GMC if these are displayed your player will not play these.Although even audio won't play if these are present,i think nandub might be your answer or bad S/L
    uSE g-sPOT FOR Audio & Video codes

4. bcounty

bcounty Member

I'm going to be converting some of my TV shows on dvd to Divx format, and it was suggested to me to use autogk to do so. I looked at that site, and it says you need to download the DivX 5.2.1 codec. [bold]1. Can the 642 play DivX 5.2.1?[/bold]

When I look it up on the Philips website, it just says DivX 5 as compared to it saying DivX 5.x for the 5140. It is the same thing and just Philips being inconsistant with how they list it?

It also says it's helpful to know the chipset of your player. [bold]2. What is the chipset of the 642?[/bold]

You also have the option of converting to xvid or DivX. What's the difference? [bold]3. Can the 642 play xvid?[/bold]

Thanks for the help!

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bcounty..Yep it will play them..But check out DrDivx..it does a better job on Audio & Video sync..Don't think U need any added codecs either..But if U do need codecs get K-Lite

6. bcounty

bcounty Member

I'll look into it!

But what's the chipset of the 642? Thanks.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bcounty..Got no idea which 1 U GOT..642/37 etc.The slash 642/# U can look it up on the net or at Philips

8. bcounty

bcounty Member

9. bcounty

bcounty Member

Are there different versions of the 642 player that have different chipsets? I looked around a bit and it sounds like all 642's have the ESS Vibratto II chipset.

10. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

bcounty, xvid = mpeg4 = divx, slightly different implementations of the same thing. That thread explains how to reencode an xvid file using qpel, gmc, etc. I can't explain the technical aspects of xvid, but apparently xvid allows for options not included in divx and those options make the file unplayable on the 642.

Maybe this will help:
    http://www.xvid.org/

642 plays xvid, I do it all the time.

11. bcounty

bcounty Member

Mac_Cool

So XviD is playable on the 642 WITHOUT those extra options you said that you can have in it that aren't available in DivX? (You had said there were certain options that make it unplayable on the 642, then you said that you play them on the 642 all the time...)

Thanks!

Oh, and would you say that both DivX and XviD are the same quality-wise?

12. sidetrek

sidetrek Member

Push the system button twice to have the player adjust itself to proper resolution and sound

Hi.. I bought a dvp642 at circuit city delivered for $49 after rebate... now that I feel good about that I wanted to add something simple that I didn't see in this thread but really didn't read each page... quite a bit here... I have the version 37 which may not matter but i had been going thru the hassle of trying to select the right screen resolution when the picture was distorted.. one time I accidently hit the system button twice(finger fart) and presto.. the movie was right.

I'm very happy with this player .. I put 6 xvid movies on each disk using nemo as a DVD DATA disk... takes less than 10 minutes.. shrinks the physical size of my library and it's nice to fall asleep and not wake up to a blue screen... my thinking is that the disk must spin much slower so some of the balance problems with burnt DVDs may be gone.

13. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

Haven't we covered this before? Like a couple of weeks ago. Xvid contains options that make the file unplayable on a 642 --- OPTIONS --- meaning optional. Some xvid files will play, some won't, depending upon how it's encoded. I'm pretty sure this was posted here before, read it carefully:

14. Mustknow

Mustknow Member

I don't know if this has shown up in this forum before, but I havn't seen it on the pages I've looked and and I've looked at a few.

I recently hooked up my Phillips DVP 642/37 up to an LG 37" LCD TV, flipped on the Progressive scan, hooked up the component video....

And I have a "flicker". That's all I can think to describe it. It only appears in the bottom third of the screen, and sometimes looks like an old horizonatal hold problem, but more often looks like the picture has jumped just slightly to the side. It lasts only a milisecond; it happens too fast to pause, and it can happen while the image is paused. It's not a problem with the discs, because when you rewind and play again, it's not there. You can take the disc out and put it back in, and it won't be there.

I can't predict when it'll happen, or with what disc.

It doesn't happen with my Playstation on progessive scan.

Is it the player (which I love for its verstility) or the cable? Some transmission problem from somewhere else?

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mustknow..looks like U might have cable problems..similar happened to me changed cables all was fine

16. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

My HDTV started having a similiar problem after I started using a system selector. I think it is diluting the signal strength just a tad. You may check your connections/cables.

17. hciman77

hciman77 Member

Hi, does anybody know what DAC the 642 uses for audio processing - I know that it is a 192khz 24 bit setup but not the make/model is it a Burr-Brown ?. I tried asking Philips but they would not tell me adn it seems impossible to find out

Cheers

18. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

A Burr Brown dac in this cheap little player-you gotta be kidding. If you're willing to spend 500 or 600 bucks-but not here.

19. hciman77

hciman77 Member

The low end Burr-Brown 192/24 chips are only $5 or so and I guess if bought in bulk a lot cheaper - but you are probably right. So who else makes 192/24 chips for budget players ?

20. zerome

zerome Guest

I recently purchased a philips dvp642 it plays normal dvds fine but when I play data dvd-rw disc with avi files on it. the player has a habit of cuting the screen on the top, bottom, left and right sides of the screen.

does anyone know how to fix the problem?

or do I have to purchase a new divx supported dvd player?

And if so which players dont cut the screen?