1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Apathy0

Apathy0 Guest

I have the sister player DVP-5960 and it's worked like a charm for months now :D

2. careyciii

careyciii Member

kolina04,
    Does everything you play on the player at this point play blue or is it only the sopranos files?

3. kolina04

kolina04 Member

No. Just the sopranos files!

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

5. careyciii

careyciii Member

I'm with Rick as my Sopranos all are ok as well. Although the fact that they play fine on a computer gives some confusion. The reason I asked about all files playing blue is I somehow changed the input selection on my player once from progressive to composite or something of the sort and the colors were all screwy. Wouldn't make sense though if other files play fine.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

DON'T KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT THIS PLAYER [642].But their should be some way to reset it back to mfg. specs,if U have been tampering with it,Or maybe just sumthin fluky happened & needs to be reset

7. diskotech

diskotech Member

I've been perusing this thread off and on for the last several years and finally registered for Afterdawn (I was tired of searching through Afterdawn using Google rather than the search feature in this great and informative forum).

Considering that most of you can play Xvid with the 642, and play them on data DVD's, what's the largest sized Xvid file that the 642 has been able to handle?

I'm thinking of using Virtual Dub or AviDemux to join two 750 mg Xvid avi's. Will the player handle a 1.5 gig file? Would AutoGk do a better of joining the two in a seamless edit?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  8. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember 2 gig as being the upper limit.

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

diskotech..All I can tell-ya is that I join dual Disc's all the time & they work average size is 1.36,1.37gig

10. r4tr4tr4t

r4tr4tr4t Member

hi rick, a friend of mine is traveling to usa and he is gonna bring me a dvd player cuz here where i live there are not that many options (LG samsung and sony monopoly) and it cost me less to buy them in USA, should i stick to this philips dvp 642 ? there are lots of good comments about it, also u mentioned the DVP 5140/37, what about it ?? plz suggest me best and cheapest dvd player atm, also in what store i can find it so my friend can buy it easily, thanx in advance

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

r4tr4tr4t...DVP 5140/37 is definetly the better way to go....I've read a lot of threads on the 642..it is a good player if U get a good one..I had to take back 2 to Wal-Mart,B4 I got one that worked.The one I ended up with is great!With the exception that on ocassion I have to enter the menu then exit,in order to get a viewable picture.
    Seems like the 642 has some capacitor or resistor problems around 6mons..mind U not all.I own both 642 & 5140,the 5140 has been on constantly from may 18,2006 till now & still plays excellent
    Warning do not buy the Magnavox

Wal-Mart is where to go..although i don't think all stores carry it.I had to go to one of those Super Wal-MARTS to find mine

What about the electrical difference U S vs European
    One last thing..By what standards do U call cheap..As close as we are to Canada.A glass of beer is $4.00 & thats cheap.In U S its only $1.75 & thats expensive..HAHAHAha

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2006
  12. r4tr4tr4t

r4tr4tr4t Member

hehe thx for answer, im from colombia south america (same electricty tha usa =D), yeah cheap is kinda the 40-60 bucks range (beer is 0.33 dollars btw but that is relative cuz taking that money from our pockets is equivalent to americans taking 1 dollar from theirs so its kinda the same :p), thx for suggestion i will surely buy the DVP 5140/37, i hope there are super wal marts in miami :p thx again m8 !

ps. offtopic sry. just saw heroes ep 9 wow best series ever i cant wait 8 more days how i will survive =(

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

r4tr4tr4t..I'm sure if U got a friend in or going to U S..Should have local address..So U should be able to buy over the internet..Nice thing about Wal-Mart even if u buy on net u can return to local store if not working..Sometimes even out of box they'll be broke.
    Might even be cheaper because of sales tx

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

r4tr4tr4t...I'm hooked on a lot of these new shows..But I'm definetly the COUCH POTATOE of couch potatoes..I'm retired & a busy day for me is sitting on the couch 24-7 watching T V..But I only like to watch a series if I got the whole thing..Just can't stand watching an episode every week..Burn everything to DVD RW..Then if all is well ! Burn to permanent DVD..Get 12 eps on 1 disc..Right now kinda bored so I'm D/Ling
    Sea 1,2,3,4,5 of Smallville..Shitty the way they come in [backwards 5,4,3,2,1].Well can't help how the seeds are..Really should'nt complain...old WORLD Wide proverb [Don't look a gift horse in the mouth]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2006
  15. r4tr4tr4t

r4tr4tr4t Member

haha nice tips, thing is a lot of people is talking about heroes around me so before i got it spoiled i prefered to start watching it asap :p

16. C92

C92 Member

I have heard from several people [I have no firsthand knowledge] that the 642 craps out at the 2 gig mark, it will play the file but stop and shut off at the 2 gig point. Most DVD Player companies will warn the buyer in the manual that an Avi over 2 gigs is not supported. However, there are some that I own that said exactly that and it turned out not to be true. I successfully joined and played 3 gigs of xvid avi with no ill effects seen. The models i know that can do this for sure are the Philips 5140/37 and also the Magnavox MWD 7006.

As far as the avi joining, tread carefully. Its seems to be getting harder and harder to join movies these days without re-encoding. Alot of the release groups these days are encoding in such a way which makes joining EVEN 2 PARTS to the SAME movie impossible without re-encodeing. Seems to be the audio gives me most trouble... the audio would be off by like some tiny margin like say part 1 = XX.7605132 and part 2 = XX.7605136 and the program refuses to join them or makes a bad join then the movie will freeze or play slow or something stupid. I've even seen some where part 1 and 2 had different resolutions.. how lame is that. I know they just do it to cut the size down to fit each part on a cd but it still pisses me off. It makes no sense to use CDs instead of DVDs for movies since the DVDs are so cheap now. I for one wish they would stop making part 1 and 2 and 3 sometimes for the AC3 movies and make it 1 file. If people want to put it on a CD they they would just have to use Avisplit or something.

17. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I haven't seen any joiner that works reliably anyway; some just seem to concatenate two AVIs into one, as if using the DOS copy /b command.

FWIW, I do believe you are correct in that the DVP-642 does not handle 2+ gig files, though that's due to it's form of UDF support. I have not tested a file that size in mine. But it would appear the 5140 is a better machine in many different respects, like a modernized 642.

18. mosspa

mosspa Member

2 gig is the upper limit because that is the limit in filesize supported by XP

19. C92

C92 Member

I think they both have thier pluses and minus's... its basicly all about which features suit what a person is looking for best. They are both very economical and can be sold for more than what they already do.

20. C92

C92 Member

I've went over 2 gigs about 6 times in the 2 months i had the 5140 and it always worked... ranging from 2.1 gigs to 3 gigs. Its wierd how some of the same brand and model players they sometimes can do more than another identical one. Reminds me of my old apex 1200 and 1500

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006