1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. careyciii

careyciii Member

R4T etc, have had the dvp 642 for couple years and great player. However, recently bought LG DN191H at good guys for $50 and it is far superior.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

careyciii...Where are all the GOODGUYS [Not in U S]

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've only had 1 LG Player the video quality was excellent,it played everything i threw at it.My beef at the time was all they had was a slotted front[no tray]all my printed discs would slip either going in or out.In was no biggy just give it a little shove.But out was a big problem.Turn it on & off 1/2 doz times
    Now this low profile player[LG DN191H] that U are bragging on is it slotted or does it have a tray.U can buy it at BestBuy for 99.00bucks

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

5. careyciii

careyciii Member

Rick, got mine open box from BB (although some previous experiences have made me want to call it "worst" buy)
    It is definitely a tray loader.
    Some advantages:
    Long file names (20+ characters)
    HDMI (good upconversion if you dial your tv in with AVIA or similiar)
    Reads everything I've ever thrown in it without sync probs.
    intuitive remote
    cheap (granted open box helps)

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

careyciii..Thanks for the info..I'll more then likely go buy one

7. rogerrab

rogerrab Guest

Do any of the firmware updates increase the fast forward/rewind speed above 8X ?

8. C92

C92 Member

Speeds should go to 32x out of the box on both dvd and divx

9. oscarin

oscarin Member

I tried subtitles bigger than 149 kb in size and the philips dvp 642 is not playing them, any good ideas on resizing the files, i tried converting them to a notepad file (.TXT) with no success, thanx :p

10. oscarin

oscarin Member

I forgot to add this in the last comment.....if you ever see a question mark ? instead of the subtitle icon file try turning the dvd player on and off until you see the actual subtitle icon , it might take up to 5 times or more turning it on and off but eventually the subtitle will come out .... dont give up !!!!!!!!

11. goldstar

goldstar Member

Strange but my dvdp642 seems to have a problem playing mpeg4(avi) movie. When i hit play it plays for about 2seconds and then goes back to main menu. I even can fast forward trough the whole movie but if i hit play, back to the main menu. Any way i can fix it?

Thanks

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

goldstar...need a little more 2 go on..could be bad media..might need to be run through nandub..me thinks all avi's R Mpeg4's

13. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

Thanks to this thread I've been a proud owner of the dvp for quite some time...

But...I bought another one today, and when I watch xvid films (burnt as data on dvd), I have a running timer in the top right corner....My other one doesnt seem to do that...:-/

I've tried to get rid of it, to no avail....any help is greatfully appreciated...thx

// sorry if this has been asked...

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

cbrooks..Well being the mind-readers that we are here at AD.We seem to have a block with your particular problem.We can't quite make out what type of player U have,except that its a Divx[AVI]Player.Is this happening on all your files,Or just some.As some files do have counters on them
    Also on some player U have a setting in your menu to reset to original.Have U by chance tried that?Display button also affects this type of problem.

15. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

Well I thought I was quite clear that I was using the phillips dvp-642, as the title of this thread heeds,...and yes its w/ every file I use (xvid-avi, files ive burnt as a data)...I thought I was also clear about that part too!...and ofc Ive hit the display button/menu....

I have owned this player for a while, and it never displays that timer, regardless of the file...

Thx anyways...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

cbrooks..just adding a little humor..don't get huffy now..yes this is a 642 site,but their are numerous other players mentioned..Sound like a firmware problem..Try D/L FIRMWARE reinstal.Or if its new enough take it back...Also depending on what U paid.Circuit City has 642 on sale 40bucks,this week

17. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

sorry if I came off rude, I apologize...

I've never done firmware b4....and not sure how to install it on the dvd player. Is there any links u can point me to?...

Thx very much for help rick5446, I really appreciate it...

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

cbrooks..Just do a google search for your firmware 642/37 ..what ever your / ver is..But it sounds like your display button is stuck [or broke]on your remote..Did U try pushing it a few times..TRY Takink out the batt.

19. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

LOL...I'm leaning towards the bat option... :p

I did do some searches about the firmware, and it doesn't look very difficult, so I might try it...

I've tried hitting the display button quite a few times as well....

Thx for all ur help...

=D

20. aerogurl

aerogurl Member

to: cbrooks

I have the SAME EXACT problem!!!!! I have owned a dvp642 for years and years now, since they came out. I've leanred all the shortcuts with the remote, how to do the subs, etc.. My kids have been bugging me to buy them one for Christmas so they will stop asking me to disconnect mine and take it to their room so they can watch the newest xvid rip of a Hillary Duff movie *ugh*. So I ordered it from Amazon ($44 w/ free ship) and it came today. I hooked it up, and the first thing I noticed is the number in the top right hand corner. This is the exact reason I am on here. I did upgrade the firmware in my old player but I do not recall ever seeing the timer with my old one.

Just wanted to let you know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE, and your display button is not stuck. duh. I will try to solve this and report back..

If anyone else has a suggestion that isn't directed to a newbie please feel free to offer it...