Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. aerogurl

aerogurl Member

cbrooks and others...

Press Display ONCE, then use the Up and Down Arrow buttons to cycle.

Once you get it so that it's only asking for a time to jump to and the OSD timer has disappeared, press Display one last time and you're all set.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello everybody...Hope U will post if aerogurl..suggestion fixed your problem W/timer.It definetly helps to know

3. oscarin

oscarin Member

I am having problems with movies bigger than 2 gb, using my philips dvd-642 new firmware, if you have a lot of movies bigger than 2 gb do not upgrade your firmware version, it used to work for me before but then i upgraded the firmware and saving private ryan doesnt work anymore.

4. gunnbr

gunnbr Member

Thanks aerogurl. That fixed my problem. It's been driving me crazy since I got my DVP642!

5. kolina04

kolina04 Member

Hey

I went home for 10 days and when I cam back my DVP642 is not working. at all. What happens is that i plug it in and the red standby light comes on, then I push the power button and it's like the power cuts off and nothing happens. I seems to happen when I push any button on the front and the red standby light goes off but nothing comes up on the display. Any ideas as to what can be going on here, could something have blown my DVD player or damaged it in any way?

Thanks in advance.

--Colin

6. dirtyriff

dirtyriff Member

Hello everyone...........

I've had the DVP 642 for over a year. I've never had any problems w/it till now. I've been playing divx movies on this this since I bought it w/no problems. All of a sudden Im getting horizontal lines all the way across the screen. It doesn't happen when I play dvds w/ VOB files Just Burnt cdrs or dvdrs w/divx movies on them. These lines also dont appear till the movie loads. I have checked other cds I know did not do this before, But they do now. I have not changed anything to do w/ getting the movies, burning them , or the media I use. Anyone w/ ideas?

7. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I hate to tell you this-but maybe it's time to move on to a newer player that doesn't have so many problems with xvid/divx. I had one of these and about 6 months later I was so tired of reprocessing files on my computer just so they would play here I gave it the boot.

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

dirtyriff..New player time RadioShack...Phillips DVP 5140 UNDER 50Bucks
    This is definately a better player then the 642

9. cgl88

cgl88 Member

zrdb & all - I've been happy with my phillips player despite the audio out-of-sync. I've even been lucky a few times in getting out DVDs stuck inside the player (library DVDs are thicker).

I'm wondering two things: have the latest firmware revisions made the player better? Second is are there other divx/xvid players better than the phillips that we current users should consider?

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

cgl88..The Phillips 5140 is definetly superior..RadioShack has them for just under 50bucks

11. dirtyriff

dirtyriff Member

Thanks for the info guys....... Was hoping for a trick to fix it. But 50 clams ain't too bad. Thanks again.

- dirty

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

dirtyriff..Well U can always take it apart & look for brused & swollen parts...Capacitors,Resistors,Fuses...etc
    Sure would be nice if ya had a scope

13. stnadad

stnadad Guest

Ok I am sort of new to this. I usually just convert my AVIs to DVD and play them that way. I have several DVDRs that I have stored my AVIs on. I can fit about 6 per disk. Now if I read this forum correct with this dvd player I can put this dvdr in this player and be able to play these AVIs? They are compressed with xvid codec if that makes any difference. Thanks for any replies.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

stnadad...BINGO....U hit the nail right on the head...U can get the 5140 at radio shack...or go to walmart..they had a zenith HDMI..BOTH AROUND 50bucks...personaly I would buy the 5140 at RS

15. stnadad

stnadad Guest

Thanks Rick Walmart has the 5140 f0r $50 and also Amazon has the Philips DVP642 DVD player for about $45 with free shipping. Just letting people know the prices. Now to make a choice on which one to get. Thanks again for the info.

16. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

The 642 was a groundbreaking legend, but the ESS chipset doesn't have enough horsepower by today's standards. Get the 5140!

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

stnadad..Yes U can buy at Walmart..But I have learned with these Phillips players U need to buy where they have an extended warranty [circuitcity,bestbuy,radioshack,etc].These warranties only run around 20 bucks or so for up too 3yrs.This beat the hell outta buyin a new unit every 6mons to a Yr.Of course not everybody has these type of problems,but through different threads I've found more that do then don't...Phillips warranty & service sucks.You alway get stuck with the freight 2&from..Where as in store warranty U just take it back

18. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

All of a sudden the video on my 642 started jittering up and down on any kind of video or disc. I guessing the laser is hosed. Any other ideas what could have gone wrong? Already checked the cables.

19. stnadad

stnadad Guest

I just bought the 5140 from Radio shack for only $50. They also had a steal on some dvd+rs too so bit of a bonus there. I hooked it up and put my dvd with 6 AVIs on it and it played them all. Awesome! Thanks for this forum and the posts as well. Take care all.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

stnadad...What brand DVD's..& How much..How many