1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. l0rdnikon

l0rdnikon Member

I'm having an issue with this player. I've had it for about two years now and today I put in an unmarked disc to check what was on it (It was on top of the player, so I figured something was on it) and put it in. Thing froze up so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. When I turned it on a message like this came onto the little screen

[​IMG]

Anyone know what's up with that? The disc won't eject, and nothing comes up on the TV screen either. And after just trying to unplug it, when I went to plug it back in it made this high-pitched squealing noise. Did I inadvertantly fry something?

2. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

[​IMG]

Dude, that's creepy. Get out of the house now!!
    Seriously... Here's a cut and paste from another site... Try to get the disc out and then see if the posessed thing'll work! Good luck!

I've seen complaints that there is no manual eject. There is. Unplug. Facing the front of the player, and lifting it up above your head, look under where the disc sits. You will see a number of slits that look like ventilation slits. There is one asymmetrical slit on its own, somewhat towards the front, and somewhat towards the right (if memory serves). The slit is about 3/4 of an inch long. Insert a slotted screwdriver on the extreme right end of the slit (still we're facing the front) side of that slot (a narrow shaft might help, but it doesn't have to go very far in). It should sound like it hits plastic. If not, you may have the wrong slot and you may have shorted things out (I suppose an electrician's plastic screwdriver, or a chopstick shaved into screwdriver shape, would work better). Then slide the screwdriver to the left. You should hear/feel unlatching noises, and the front of the loader should wiggle, and you should then be able to pry it forward (maybe using a screwdriver for leverage) and pull out the disc. When the player dies, it would be nice if it didn't take your--or worse not your--DVD with it.

3. bonghwang

bonghwang Member

I have Philips 642-17.
    Are there any ways to see the subtitle in Asian languages in smi format?
    In the system menu there are only English, French, and Spanish available.
    Thank you in advance.

4. teddietwo

teddietwo Member

Can someone help me reset my Philips DVP642/17 parental password? I forgot it.

5. zipptide

zipptide Member

hey i got one a 642/37 but its dead along with my Rca ( and i let a friend barrow my apex a year ago) so all i have left is my LG combo ...

So should i just get another 642 or another slimLine weapon of dvd playing power for under 100 USD , i am not really ready to go Hd standalone yet , And just wanted another decent dvd player around house ( i just miss having a second one ) and the LG ( life-Junk)combo is fine and does play anything (including DVD-ram )and built in multi-card reader (scan disk and the like).

O and im looking for an el-cheapo that can play avi ... ( if you have to ask i said cheap ...)

btw that last dvd i had been watchin in the 642 got stuck when it died
    i tried banging on it and hope it would work like a few times before but no luck , I ended up taking the screwdriver to it, after all that was my favorite p0rn >:p

6. oscarin

oscarin Member

get a new philips that has the divx logo on it, get anyone but the 642, the new ones have more features like read movies bigger than 2 gb and subtitle files bigger than 140kb also with no problems.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

zipptide..Phillips has a new player[DVP3140] CircuitCity $40.00bucks.I bought one,I own a 642,5140,& now a 3140.This [3140]is the best little player so far,its got 1 bell that I really like GOTO Hrs,Min,Sec,& one feature I'm going to miss is the Zoom that lets U shrink,which is nice when U got a video of lower quality.I highly recommend the 5140 & the 3140 over the 642..Now my bad experience with 642,s is well over a Yr ago,so they might have improved a lot since then.But in reading in a lot of forums if U get a good 1 U got a good 1.Also I've read they go TITs up in a Yr or less.BUT i really don't know.One thing I can tell U is my 5140 has not been turned off in over a yr,I keep it on constant play.Now this is the best test on any player.Im getting ready to retire it & put the 3140 in its place.So I'll let U know on this player in a yr

8. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

Rick (or anyone), which of the new players has the best compatibility (e.g. qpel, etc)?

My 642 no longer plays DVDs or MPEG2 so I need to upgrade.

9. zipptide

zipptide Member

@ oscarin , thks

@ rick , So i decided to go look around an see what was out there, i was really looking at both the 5140 and 3140 , then i look into the specs of both and some other Philip models. I beieve both are on their way out because neither support Hdmi . And you can get there counter-parts that support it for almost the same money.

I looked at both the 5982 and the 3960 ..
    the 5982 Hdmi out , Usb in and up-verts to 1080p for $70.00

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1164157002483

Then i found the 3960 ,it does hdmi out , and up-verts in 1080i max . for $45.00

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5584897#Specifications

The only real question is that of reliability , i too often leave my dvd player on most of the time.

With that being said i will probably pick up the 5982 as my war dog,as it is only $4 more then the 5140 , as for the cheap one probably both the 3140 and or 3960 (one for a friend). anyway thks it seems most Philips players play anything but the real question is how long.

@ Mac
    It seems to me most newer philps have no problem with formats, you just got to deside hdmi or not and what you want it to up-vert to, as for me im going to get the DVP-5982 .

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  10. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

Thanks. I really need to get two, one for my HDTV (HDMI + up convert would be nice but critical) and one for my daughter's SDTV which just needs to be very compatible and cheap.

I bought the DivX + upconverting Samsung but the ones sold by Best Buy don't actually support DivX despite both Best Buy and Samsung's website claiming it does so I took it back. I would like the Oppo but don't want to spend the money.

11. oscarin

oscarin Member

only buy players with divx logo on it, websites say crap just to sell the items, personally i have philips 5960 because i can use my flash drive in it, hdmi out also is included.

12. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

I'm looking hard at the player, wish it were closer to $50.

13. zipptide

zipptide Member

Yeah when i went looking i found a bunch of similar models including the 5960, 5982 and the 5900

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=2024348&cid=100301&fp=F

They really arent that much different , all here are Hdmi of course its in the little details ,both the 5982 and 5960 have usb and Divx Ultra ,the 5900 doesnt have any. And the 5900 and the 5960 output 1080i ,while the 5982 output is 1080p. and all the same price.

As they say choose your posion

Btw the 3960 output is also 1080i ,but no Divx Ultra

@ mac
    Yeah its probably best to stick with Philips for true Divix on the cheap .

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

With the USB Connection can U directly hook-up your computer & play videos on this

15. zipptide

zipptide Member

i just picked up the 5982 , at first glance its a nice machine ,but the disc tray is kinda of flimsy, where is this thig made agian o_O. Its a hair smaller than the 642, on which its dead carcass it resides.

Another thing no Opti-digital audio out, sad to see it go had one of those on my cir.1998 RCA , Now how do suppose to run it to the Digt-receiver , I know about the cox-digt , its just going to be a chore.

Anyway the newer Digt-receivers must have some kinda hdmi pass-through ,Dts and 5.1 great of course.

i will try Hdmi as soon as i get a cable , but sadly it will be awhile before i get to see the true 1080p as my tv only goes to 740p.

i tried a few different formats nothing seems to be a problem .

Btw anybody have a spare 6' usb a-a ,i ve yet to play with that port.

o and no s-cable either ,boy do times change

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

BOY O Boy these DivX Players are hittin the retail stores like Bees to Pollin.They sure arwe gettin popular....Sure would like to see an X264-[H264] Player..Picture Quality is unbelievable[X264]

17. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

How 'bout one for a buck and a half?
    Monoprice

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Nobody really list the type of DivX [AVI's] that the players play like QPEL or GMC.I really have'nt run into that many,& those that I have I just run them through DrDivX.But I think I made a mistake once & burned a QPEL to Disc.I think my 5140 played it...But not real sure!! It would be nice if they added YES QPEL,GMC or NO to same

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Any Body know a good program to convert idx sub files to srt..Ive got writers cramp from re-typeing letters & short phrases

20. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member