1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

hocks..If your not familiar with programs like G-SPOT to check for QPEL & GMC..Make sure U burn to RW's first to test.Some movies I D/L Just aren't keepers..TV Series thats different..I just finished watching Smallville again from Season 1 through 6.Buy good quality CD's & DVD's RITEK,TY's,Verbatims.Personally I like the Hub Printable,I can make a nice permanent Label.DVD RW's I Buy at Office Depot,when their store brand go on sale[50 for like 10bucks]These are riteks,but any cheappy RW will do..

2. hocks

hocks Member

Okay, I'm about to purchase a dvd player, but I've found there are a lot and there seems to be opinions on many of them. So, I have one final question: which is the best to purchase out of the DVP5140, DVP3960, DVP5960, DVP5982, or the DVP642? Thanks again for all the help.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

hocks..I really like the Zoom feature on the DVP 5140 U can Zoom in or out,for those not so good quality movies.Fast forward is extremely fast.NO GOTO specific time [U get used to just FF] This to me is a very durable player mine has not been turn off since May of last year
    Just bought DVP 3140[3mons ago]..Has a slower response time for loading.Don't like the fast forward,more like a frame jump,Does have the goto exact time[a feature i really like].This also seems to be an excellent player,I'm very happy with this 1 also
    Either player is far superior to the 642,I've always had problems with this player[642] trailing out of Sync about half way through a movie & having to hit FF-RW to re-sync.Now understand my 642 is 2 Yrs old and I have not used it for the last Yr.Improvements might have been made in this time span.But if any of my players go TITS-UP,I will definetly not be replacing with a 642.My next player will be a DivX Surround Sound as a lot of movies are coming this way in DiVX [AVI]

4. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Get the 5140!

5. giribabu

giribabu Member

Hi Eric,
    I have read your suggestions, can I ask you a question, is there a way to update codecx in divx dvd player, I have Apex AD1250x. Some dvd players could be updated by downloading the update and play on the player. Do these support..
    Giribabu

6. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Hocks,

As I said in my message, I would advise you to look at USB feature (5960). Then you can simply watch everything even from external HD before deciding if you want the movie. I do it with CD-RW or DVD-RW now. Watch, and then decide. Certainly, I would pay attention to sound quality, but they are mostly the same now, except 642.

I also burn movies on DVD-disks if I have a few parts. If a movie requires two CD disks, it is cheaper to convert it to DVD. If I do conversion using NERO, I create my own menu. Advantage of this is that the movie can be played on any DVD player. Takes time though, but PC does not sleep at night :).

By the way, I use G-SPOT all the time. Still some avis do not play and require VirtualDub or something like that. I use VirtualDub, but it is personal. I posted full picture row to the manual if you are interested.

Good luck!
    Roma

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2007
  7. diskotech

diskotech Member

I've been using Mediacoder to convert some videos to Xvid.

Does anyone know what the specs are for the 642/37 concerning Xvid?
    I know it plays the codec, but are there limits to the video kbps or what audio codec can be used?

I was hoping to search this thread, but I don't see a thread search tool.

8. zipptide

zipptide Member

Its been a while ppl, anyway for those who dont know i own two many DVD players. Starting the infamous 642 that burnt up earlier this year , so i picked up the 5982 , and then later on the walmart version 3960 i think and a few Toshiba DVR-Combo earlier version ( pre HDD but 9-1 flash card reader and Divx )to finish off the pack.

today i got a pissed that i dont have a decent DVD player where i am staying for a little while and dont feel like toting around the 5982 as i payed a little more for it ($64 on Best buy) and dont want it all scratched up as its high gloss black ,unlike the battleship grey of the 3000 series .

So i called a friend that works at walmart and ask him to pick me up another dvp-whatever( as it is only $44 )i dont mind spending it to save the 5982 as their back to $70 at best buy .

BTW i do like the 5982 better its just a better machine compared to the 3960 and 642 Basically with the 5982 you seem to be able to do more as far as play back goes with avi's. With 5 or 6 700MB titles on a DVD-5 hav'n basic controls such as play rev, FF, pause , and pick up where you left off is a blessing . Faster loading would be nice and dont try to put anything less than 100MB on a DVD-5 in avi you wont find it

BTW2 I just picked an xbox360 HD-DVD player as a new toy

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

diskotech..Ya might want to try Win AVI Converter..It is extremely fast.I've been using it to convert some Harry Potter Movies[AVI's] to DVD for a friend & a 2 1/2 hr movie takes about 40mins & 10mins to burn.As far as quality goes!I can't really give an opinion on that.Everybodies is gifferent,other then to say all I've converted looks GREAT

10. diskotech

diskotech Member

Does Winavi convert flv files?

I checked the Winavi site and it looks as if they have very little customer support with no forums. Could you check by using Gspot, what bitrates Winavi is using to convert to Xvid? Mediacoder is a great program because:

1) It's free
    2) It gives you alot of configuration ability.
    3) It includes almost every codec and converter you can think of
    4) Great support forums

Perhaps others here can post the bitrate settings and audio codecs they use when converting to Xvid.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  12. diskotech

diskotech Member

Actually, this is the perfect program if you just want to convert the flv files:

http://www.vdownloader.es

I'm looking to adjust the files and change the bitrate configuration, though. Between programs like Virtualdub, Mediacoder, and Avidemux, all offer a wide range of configuration.

The reason I value those heavily compressed files is that, although not of the greatest quality, they certainly have a high interest level. Where else can you find a clip of Groucho Marx on "What's My Line", or versions of The We Five singing their one great hit, "You Were On My Mind" on ABC's "Hollywood Palace" in 1965, and being introduced by Fred Astaire, too!

Many of these compressed clips actually convert very well to VCD or SVCD, and are quite clear when played on a 32" TV.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

diskotech..Well Thanks for the insight..Didn't realize that all that wealth was offered

14. Limber

Limber Member

A friend of mine owns the Philips DVP642, and I've offered to burn a variety of XviD videos to disc for her. I'm trying to determine whether the source files I've got will be compatible as is (which I doubt), and if not, which parameters to choose in AutoGK so that re-encoded files will play back trouble-free.

I myself don't have access to the device, so I'd really appreciate any feedback from owners willing to give me a hand here.

The XviD source files come in the following configurations.
    960x528, AC3 (2 ch, 256 Kbps)
    960x528, AC3 (6 ch, 384 Kbps)
    960x544, AC3 (4 ch, 256 kbps)
    960x544, AC3 (6 ch, 384 kbps)
    At most, the average video bitrate is around 2.2 Mbps (most files are a little less than 2.0 Mbps). Think any of these would play back as is?

If I must re-encode, I'm thinking 640x352 or 720x400. At the higher choice, the average bitrate should be around 1.5 Mbps. Good?

For the audio, I'm uncertain. Would MP3 be a better choice than AC3, and if so, is 256 Kbps CBR okay? Can the player handle AC3 5.1 in an XviD without glitches? And to further complicate matters, my friend does not own a 5.1 setup... stereo only. If she's playing a multichannel XviD, will the player downmix to stereo for the analog outputs, or should I do that for her beforehand?

Just haven't been able to clear up these uncertainties after searching the forums. Help!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  15. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

16. diskotech

diskotech Member

Limber, I'm trying to find out nearly the same. Are there any search tools that would enable a forum member to just search this thread for Xvid posts?

Just one question. Is there any reason you're using Autogk to convert rather than Mediacoder, Super, Avidemux, or Virtualdub?

17. Limber

Limber Member

That's a great guide all right, but while it discusses many audio/video parameters for encoding successfully, it doesn't talk about limitations imposed by the player's processing power. Specifically, limits on an XviD file's video resolution, video bitrate, audio bitrate and number of audio channels. Or whether it can downmix multichannel audio on the fly.

Basically, it doesn't answer my questions.

diskotech,
    I'm new to this forum, so I'm still learning, but I haven't found the ability to search within a thread, sadly. As for why I'm using AutoGK, truth is I'm just as new to the world of video conversion/editing, and AutoGK was frequently recommended in this thread. Not familiar with those other tools (though I've used VirtualDub for basic cut & paste jobs).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  18. zipptide

zipptide Member

wow Limber it seems like you are really jumping through hoops trying to reinvent the wheel.

You never said the size of the xivid files or whatever but that doesnt really matter ,but you said something about .flv so quality is out the window too.

1) pick up the Avi's ( divix / xivid ) with winavi or nero
    2) DVD encode them
    3) Pick up the Video ts with Shrink ,hammer it down to less then 5Gs
    4) done \ Plays on every standalone player no worries.

the 642 is a nice machine but not really worth the time your spending playing with avi editing

19. Limber

Limber Member

Not sure how the subject of .flv came up, but it wasn't from me. These are nice-quality 700MB XviD files.

Anyway, I learned everything I needed to from the doom9 forums... job's just about done now.

20. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Limber,

In case you are still interested in learning something from this forum, please check pages 43 and 44, where information on conversion using VirtualDub is posted in details and pictures. I have tried a few, but have found VirtualDub good enough for me to do the job. Besides, it works fast.

Good luck!
    Roma

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007