1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 subtitles default to ON

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by CeeKay, Dec 31, 2004.

1. CeeKay

CeeKay Member

I just got this player recently and am having a problem that has me stumped.

When I play a DVD movie, the darn subtitles are always ON by default! It is driving me crazy.

I can turn them off with the remote, or go into the DVD's menu and select OFF or NONE. Also in the players main setup I have subtitles set to OFF. Why on earth are they always coming ON and I have to turn them off every time?

Now the only pattern I seen so far, is that original DVD's, IE....movies that you buy, doesn't seem to have the problem. I tried a few and they seem ok. But if you put a DVD +R in for example with a movie on it, the subtitles are always on, unless I turn them off.

Now shouldn't they be OFF unless I turned them ON? :)

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

2. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i've been having the same problem. did u find out a solution?

3. Zisguy1

Zisguy1 Member

If these were made with DVD shrink, try right clicking on a title and select "Set Default Streams." Then you can pick subtitle behavior. If you choose "let DVD player decide" it seems the DVP-642 always turns them on. I'd try another option like "off."

Once the DVD is burned you can't change this however. Nothing to do but put up with it (maybe wait for next firmware update to fix it).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005