1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips dvp642 xvid re-encode settings

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by arag0rn, Mar 3, 2005.

1. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

ignar,

Strange, I got it to work just fine.... make sure your audio interleave settings is the same as what's on the picture posted....

Try doing a small clip in the middle of the movie, and test burn this clip to a cdrw (test if it plays on pc first). When making the clip, don't worry about re-encoding just yet, just do direct stream copy under video menu.

Finally, as before mentioned, virtualdubmod should be used for this, and NOT virtualdub, they are [bold] not the same. [/bold]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  2. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

ignar: I'm telling you, AVS video converter is the way to go. Never have I had any audio sync problems.

PM me for some info I can give you.

Later,
    Adonis

3. rtt

rtt Guest

I followed the pics but when I try to re-encode an AVI I get a file size of 22 gigs for a 23 minute film.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I was using the batch process, not sure if that matters.

Thx!

4. rtt

rtt Guest

For anyone who wants to know what the problem was, when I reopened Virtualdubmod I didn't realize the settings weren't saved. The setting was stuck on "Full Reprocessing".

I still have on issue I can't duplicate 100%. Sometimes when re-encoding the file size is too small because it doesn't take the audio!

The way I've found to avoid it is to save the settings and manually choose the Xvid codec. There is a second one installed on my system...

I think the way to solve it is to manually process or open 1 file before doing the batch job.

Can anyone comment on how audio would be missing sometimes on the same file?

5. burressc

burressc Member

Hello all. I used AVS Video Converter. I used the DIVX settings and at first the audio started to lag after a while. I changed the settings under DIVX to my bitrate and audio settings from GSpot. Worked great. I tried everything with Virtual Dub Mod and got everything from 15 seconds out of sync, audio and vidoe jumping, and no audio at all. I've wasted too much time with Virtual Mod and am sticking with AVS.

6. killmycuz

killmycuz Member

Arag0rn:
    excellent post, thanku! did all the settings exactly according to this thread and got excellent results. choosing 'no' at the popup box is the way to go. i did have to delay the audio (per your instructions) 50ms to get better sync. now my converted files play perfectly on my dvp642. thanks for taking the time to post this info, i never would have figured this out myself.
    cuz

7. killmycuz

killmycuz Member

o and if anyone cares it took me 1.5 hours to convert a 1.5 hr movie. ive got a dell inspirion w/ celeron 2.1ghz.

8. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Member

hey new here, but just bought the phillips unit being talked about...the above pictorial is a great tool, but after changing all the settings and re-encoding a sample of my xvid, i found that it played fine and had in-sync audio, BUT...the quality was horrible...very pixelated. After using gspot to check my settings...i see that nandub was used in its creation to begin with...i guess this is the problem...i don't really know what im talking about...hehe...but would loved to be able to play my xvids...an solutions?

9. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

killmycuz, great to hear my tutorial does work.... i was having doubts with all the negative posts....

ctaulbee , make sure you followed all the settings exactly as they are shown in the pictures. The only thing I could think of that causes pixelation is the [bold]target bitrate [/bold] setting... make sure it is at least the bitrate shown in GSPOT (ie : put in 1000kpbs if gspot says 950).

To those using AVS video converter, more power to you if it is working correctly. I just find that it takes way too long to re-encode (2-3 hrs) for a 1.5hr movie.....where vdubmod only takes 50 minutes for me. I realize vdubmod is still very buggy, but hey it is freeware.... btw, to those few honest people out there how much is AVS video converter anyways?

10. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Member

Hey aragorne...cool name :-D N E Ways. Thanks for checking back here. I belive i set the bit rate to exactly what gspot suggested i think it was in the 700's, don't have those files right now to check. But if i increase it to 900's or even 1000 kbps, that will make it better quality, no? Just bigger file size? Even if i don't ever get it looking the way i want, this post was still good, because now i know what to look for, and only get the stuff that will be compatible, and if i should need to VdubMod it, then i'll know what to do. Thanks for the post.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  11. killmycuz

killmycuz Member

about the data rate thing. i didnt use gspot, just loaded the .avi file into vdubmod clicked file and then file information. it gives you the video data rate right there, and then i just put that number into the xvid encoder. worked great.
    this is a great program for re-syncing a/v i have discovered. i used the same method for xvid as a divx movie i have and it also worked great. it seems like you can resync alot of formats w/ this method.
    works way better than divfix or drdivx.
    you can encode just the first few minutes of the movie, hit abort, then check to see how the syncing worked and make necessary adjustments. this is the best resyncing tool i have found, again thanks for the post Aragorn.

12. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Hey guys,

This is by far the best solution to the problem...

Go to: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1346999#1346999

This produces by far the best quality without audio sync problems and does batch conversion, it takes a little longer but is worth it. On top of everything it even offers the option to shut down your computer when the work is done.

13. sksupra

sksupra Member

is there anyway to use g-spot or any other program to determinw which xvid movies will play on the dvp642? obviously some do work but it seems i am constantly having to recode xvid movies after burning them to disc.

14. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Yes there is... get the version of g-spot that shows extended features like the one where it shows if the video was encoded using QPEL (xvid only) because that's one feature that the player doesn't support.

Also, if you are watching a video encoded using XVID and the audio is fine but the picture looks blurry, hit the SYSTEM button twice and it will display correctly.

I was doing the same thing; re-encoding xvid files because the picture looked distorted but read that trick somewhere in this forum and it has worked every single time.

Enjoy,
    Adonis

PS: Go to the gspot website and download the RAR version which is the one that has the extended displays at the top. If you see QPEL was used, don't burn video to disc, re-encode and use that way.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  15. Breuer85

Breuer85 Member

Hello all, OK IF YOU HAVE THE PHILLIPS DIVX compatible DVD player, LISTEN UP!!!!!!! It clearly states at their support page that you need to encode the Divx Movies in HomeTheater mode. Once you do you will have sound, no problem. There is that better?

16. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

good info.

17. orcutt989

orcutt989 Member

Is there some way to mass do this? I have 3 seasons of family guy that are all converted with qpel, and I dont want to be re-setting this setting for every episode, and doing all of this, cant it be automatically done some how?

18. sksupra

sksupra Member

I believe you can batch encode with Dr.Divx

19. orcutt989

orcutt989 Member

Okay I figured out the letter box program, for "Pixel Ratio" I just changed it from auto to 4:3 in Win Avi

20. Breuer85

Breuer85 Member

Using Divx Converter, you can click "add files" and encode as many as you want at a time. It takes me about 2 hours to encode 25 episodes of cops at a time

I can fit upto 35 20 minute episodes on 1 4.7 gb dvd!!! Pretty awsome, still is anoying that the Phillips didn't support most Divx Formats!!!