1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips CD-RW CDD4401/71 recognition problem under XP SP1

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by BarFlat, Aug 31, 2003.

1. BarFlat

BarFlat Member

I have installed Win XP Pro and SP1 over WIN98SE on my Compaq Presario 7970 (Athlon 1800). My CD-RW is only recognized as a CD-ROM, so now I can't burn. I have flashed the Firmware to 1.8C. No luck.

Microsoft's site is useless.
    HP (Compaq's) site is useless
    Philips (Phillips?) site is useless.

Is it possilbe to get this to work? Or should I just buy a new one.

Thanks.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. You should just buy a new one... cd burners are cheap and shouldt break your wallet (unlike a DVD burner grrrrrr). Might I reccommend the ASUS 522452A? (I have one and it suits me very well). Other excellent drives include Lite-On and BurnMAXX all excellent drives

2. WindowsXP is a quirky OS when it comes to built-in burning capability. Many people claim to be able to burn fine. Many others have problems. Microsoft released an update to the IMAPI (which, FYI stands for Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface); that update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320174. Furthermore, Microsoft has adressed other burning issues with WindowsXP, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

3. Consider looking into your ASPI, you never know - it could be something that simple hehe. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

4. Also try uninstalling-rebooting to see it Windows will recognize the drive properly again.

5. I agree the HP/Compaq site is useless.

3. BarFlat

BarFlat Member

1. Maybe you are right. Thanks for the suggestions on which one.
    2. Tried these. IMAPI patch wouldn't go. Said my service pack was a new revision.
    3. Installed ASPI. Nothing.
    4. Disconnected it and reconnected no luck. Curiously, I have another PC on which I am running XP Home which I upgraded from WIN98SE also. It has a differenct Burner LG CDRW CED 8080B that works. I took it out of the other pc swapping it the Philips drive. The Philips drive worked on the other PC! But now Windows recognized the formerly workig LG drive but only let it be a CD-ROM, not a CD-RW. I went to the LG site (much more helpful than Philips). There it said that it would not work as a writer under XP (even though it does on the other machine), so don't try.

So... I think I will try rebuilding the machine that won't recognize the CD-RW and re-install XP. I will wipe everything out this time instead of 'upgrading'.

Thanks for you quick suggestions.