1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phillips dvd+rw dvd8601

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by top123, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bill1996

bill1996 Member

I have successfully transformed my Philips DVD8601 into a Benq DW1620. Here's
    what I did:

Obtain a copy of B5G9.zip which contains B5G9.exe, a Windows program to update the firmware of the Benq DW1600. This is available here - http://support.benq.com/files/storage/Firmware/DW1600/B5G9.zip

Use a Hex editor on B5G9.exe to change the checksum of B5A9 (the checksum of the original Benq DW1600) to 6D11 (the checksum of the firmware in the Philips 8601). Details of the edit are

F390: 42 -> 36
    F391: 35 -> 44
    F392: 41 -> 31
    F393: 39 -> 31

Run the edited B5G9.exe. It will apply its firmware modification to the Philips 8601, turning it into a Benq DW1600.

Obtain a copy of 1600-1620_B7K9.exe from the Benq Web site here:
    http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BenQ_FW.htm#DW1620

Run this. It will update the Benq DW1600 to a Benq DW1620.

2. vinzul

vinzul Guest

thats cool

but for what the guy wants to do his burner as-is
    is good enoough so stick with what you got to keep it simple use + media and burn away

3. spm2600

spm2600 Member

this thread started because we received a drive that was misslabeled. what me and a couple of the people at the way top did was jsut call dell up and get money because it was false advertisement. changing the firmware would probably void the warranty, so that is not worth it. also, why change the firmware if + media is the best?

4. vinzul

vinzul Guest

updateing firmware from the companys site will not viod warr

but it sounds like crossflashing would viod warr
    but i dont think they would even know

but you update firmware for upgrdes in quilty

i had to update my firmware to my new dvd burner
    twice from the companys site

and for my wireless set up

so long as firmware is from the company it will not viod warr

but if your burner is working fine dont update firmware

and + is best but but changeing firmware would not make your burner burn -

as bill said crossflashing would make your +dvdr burn dvd-
    but the only resone i see in making it do that is slightly cheaper media

5. vinzul

vinzul Guest

but spm2600 i do see what you mean buy +/- now and i do agree

6. gofito

gofito Member

I also have this drive. Will it record dual-layer DVDs? By the way can someone explain the concept of dual layer DVDs. Will they play in normal (not PC) players? I'm new to this so please forgive the dumb questions. Thanks.

7. CRS001

CRS001 Member

I have tried to access the http://support.benq.com/files/storage/Firmware/DW1600/B5G9.zip link to change my Philips 8601, but it is showing as corrupt or invalid. I would like to modify my system to enable -R and -RW, as I have a good stock of blank DVD disks I want to use up. Does anyone have the new link to be able change the drive?

8. bill1996

bill1996 Member

try your link again , I went to it just fine...Make sure you dont have pop ups blocked. And if you get the icon message screen first just hit skip in the upper right hand corner. Dont forget to use the hex editor as i outlined earlier then upgrade the firmware to the latest rev b7t9 at
    http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BenQ_FW.htm#DW1620

9. carbaryl

carbaryl Member

Hi all,

Similar problems, same DVD burner with my Dell computer. I can burn DVDs from home movies that play fine on my PC, but other PCs don't see the file on the DVD disc, let alone be able to play it. I'm using the Studio 9 Quick Start software that came with the PC along with the Dazzle hardware to upload my tapes onto my hard drive. IS this due to DVD+ vs DVD- issues? Am I doing something wrong when I create the movie with the Studio 9 software? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Jeff

10. scorpi

scorpi Member

hey all
    I did the flash firmware update and all worked well. The only prblem I am having now is that when I burn a dvd and try to play it back on my home player it gives a message that i must check the region code and the dvd cannot play

I have an external burner and it does not give me this problem, I would use it but it seems to worn out on quality so I am trying to figure out how to make my phillips useful.

11. gnr4all

gnr4all Guest

to anyone that can help. i edited the B5G9 and now when i try running it, it says "not a valid win32 application" i've been struggling with this for hours if anyone can please tell me how to fix this or even just email me the fixed hex B5G9.exe file to Gnr4all@aol.com i'd be very appreciative -thanx

12. bill1996

bill1996 Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  13. gnr4all

gnr4all Guest

14. rif6109

rif6109 Member

I bought the same Dell with the same Philips DVD burner and I burned a couple of backups of some different videos. Everything was fine for the first few but then I started getting an error "Media Not Found: Please insert a writable media" when it goes into the writing phase. Problem is I am still using the same type of blank DVD's out of my 50-pack. Any ideas?
    I was and am using 1ClickDVD for the process, could this software be the problem?

15. benhaywoo

benhaywoo Member

WELL THANK YOU DELL FOR BEING SLIMY SALESMAN.
    Thinking the dell burner (refered to in this forum), could write either - or + media i proceeded to buy 250 blank - discs from various suppliers (dont ask why), now opended return is not an option. so back in the past I turn to my trusty dell computer and burden my burner with some burning. sitting back I have a cup of coffe put my feet up and let the slave driver burn away those dvds etc. But o no no no it seems to be the burners day off rejecting all the - blank disc media i inserted Samsung, Sony pc line etc..Was there a hardware problem ? No . Mabye a software problem? erm.. No. in fact whether i was Bill gates or not there was nothing to be done. why? because Dell falsely advertised its burner could burn either formats - or +, but far from it, in reality it can only burn '-' media. So thank you Dell for ripping me off and making me lose over £100 of media,... but remember 'what comes around goes around...'making a quick buck IS getting harder to get away with to be continued... :( :)

16. bill1996

bill1996 Member

just change (firmware flash) it now to become a benq as i have repeately stated above. Not only will you be able to burn + & - dvd's, but your burn spedd will also increase!

17. lilmill

lilmill Member

can someone please explain the hex editor I dl'ed a program but it says that the hex numbers are not correct in the b5g9 program

18. scorpi

scorpi Member

Hi bill1996, do you get a region code error with your benq? I sucessfully changed my dell to a benq but when i burn the dvd my home player tells me to check region code. This only happens when I use that burner because I another burner that when I perform the exact same thing the dvd plays.any ideas?

19. bill1996

bill1996 Member

no when I use shrink i set no region codes and allow for all.
    you can also use the no region in the benq package.

20. vinzul

vinzul Guest

HHHHAHAHAHAHAH

ben you bought the same burner after all the problems every one said they had

and why would you buy - media its crapy media
    and listen to bill1996 to get it working

sorry to laugh