1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phlips DVP630/642 New Problems?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by paddyb, Jan 31, 2005.

1. paddyb

paddyb Member

I've just bought a DVP630/5 (Uk version of DVP642)for £50. It has firmware 0531, so must have been kicking around the shop (Argos) for a while. I'm wondering if i should update to 1109, i've heard that 0531 is better? Or is there a hacked firmware that can be recomended?

The machine seems very buggy and has a few problems I haven't seen documented before, so wondering if its actually faulty. Here goes:

1. When playing some downloaded movies, they don't quite reach the edges in my widescreen tv and sort of curl up at the top a little. Not much but annoying.

2. On a disk with several films, if i press menu to exit a film it sometimes starts playing the next film rather than displaying the menu.

3. FF/RW only works on some films. On these ones you can't jump using the timer either. Surley a firmware update can correct this?

4. Zoom is annoying, only does 2x (too much) and disables my TV's zoom, unlike my last player.Being able to slightly enlarge ultra widescreen would be good and may help with problem 1 above.

5. Picture quality on a shop bought DVD isn't that great. Seems a bit grainy, colours wrong. Better than VHS but worse than my last player (Toshiba SD340) bought 18 months ago. Havn't got a pro scan TV, but most reviews say the picture is really good so suspect a fault.

6. Machine often crash when playing films, sometimes have to unplug it to reset it.

7. Because of the 11 character file name, some films in two parts both show on screen as having the same file name. the machine doesn't seem to be able to tell between them and just plays the first one on the list - even if i click on part 2, it will play part 1 again. I know i can rename them and reburn, but annoying to have to do this.

8. Seem to take ages to locate and start playing divx files, display menues etc. Lots of clicking & whiring while doing so.

Most of my movies are downloaded divx and xvids. Has played most ok apart from problems above. Some stutter then crash, a few have sound problems or simply won't play at all.

Any help/feedback on any of the above would be apreciated. Machine is under guarantee for one more week, may consider exchanging or getting another model!

2. Zisguy1

Zisguy1 Member

Firmware update won't help the FFW/REW issue... believe it or not, it's related to disc quality (got this right from the horses mouth - Philips phone support).

I had the same prob with firmware 1109, solved it by burning a 1 MB 'dummy' AVI file last on the disc (right before the leadout, after the main movie) using NTI CD Maker. Not sure what other apps let you control what order files are burned onto the CD. I don't think Nero does, but ISO Buster or WinISO might.

3. paddyb

paddyb Member

heard a similar tip to this before but don't understand how it works. can you explain a bit more:

what do you mean by a "dummy" avi file, how can i make one?

if i call it xxx.avi will this be last on the disc?

does this work when you have more than one movie on a dvd?

thanks