1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phsyics -dc motor clarification

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by krogsty, Dec 23, 2007.

1. krogsty

krogsty Member

So I have a project over the holidays, recieved it on Friday, I have to build a simple Dc Motor. Using the textbook as a guide has proven to be very difficult becuase it does not explain itself very clearly, I was hoping some one could provide me with some clarrification. Here are the instructions from the textbook, I apalogize for the poorn quality they are hard to read, my printer never seems to work with this wireless network I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay So when tis whole thing is done, Does it rotate in complete cirlces, because it doesn't look like it is possible with the wire attached to the solenoid around the pencil.

5, - It says to wrap a double layer of coil around the nail, does this mean wind up to the top then wind back down, (possibly creating 2 opposite polarites at each end of the nail? A bad thing?)

Does it matter that I use a pencil, Can I use a plastic circular coat hanger piece instead?

Do the wires go going form the nail to the solenoid attatch to the wires on the pencil, or where the tape around the coil is?

Thank-you for any help

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]