1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking a new Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by abuzar1, Aug 10, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Obviously it's prudent to mention that the current Maxtor drives are still the ones Maxtor made, Seagate had no involvement.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Then I'll probably go with one of the WD drives you posted.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds reasonable. I'm not saying Maxtors are bad, but I think there are better drives out there.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't want to take chances with something dying on me. Sure there is a warranty but thats 2-3 weeks down the line.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm indeed, and besides, warranties don't cover lost data.

6. john179

john179 Active member

I think you will find that seagate has had influance over some of the current drives.Maxtor has made a fortune over the years and it was not going broke seagate saw it to it's advantage to buy out one of it's main rivals.These sort of things don't happen over night and seagate has had a big part in maxtor for some time this is why it is proud to promote the merger.Do you really think seagate would allow maxtor to throw out anything better than it's own if it was buying and selling the things.I can tell you with my vast experience with seagate these maxtor drives i'm currently using run like they were made from someone else hint hint.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, recent incarnations of the drives (bought after the merger) have make noise like the Maxtors of old, so they can't have done that much...

8. john179

john179 Active member

Like i said i have one of the latest hard drives from maxtor and they do not make any noise and they both feel more like a seagate rather than a maxtor.As i said i'm not a lover of maxtor and would of never expected myself to defend the maxtor drive but the drives i'm currently using are so far as good as any seagate i have ever had.

9. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

But at the same time look at what happened to HP when they bought Compaq. There systems and perifs got worse. Just because a big guy buys a little guy does not mean things are going to get better.

-Del