1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Jump with Encoded SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by StAshlar, Aug 30, 2004.

1. StAshlar

StAshlar Member

I have been converting a number of avi's to MPEg2 using TmpgENC and burning onto SVCD using nero with various degrees of success. Generally it depends on the source material, obviously but I have had some where the quality is almost perfect and others where, quite frankly, it is terrible.

Anyway, I have recently noticed that all of the new SVCD's I've created have a very slight jump every 2 - 3 seconds. Almost like the disc is sticking very slightly as it hits a certain point. I presume that it is probably codec related but wouldn't know where to start to fix it. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ash

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

When useing Tmpgenc to Encode or pretty much any encoder for that matter you have to Encode the AVI file to Mpeg useing the Same Frame Rate and if you don"t you will notice a Jumpy effect especially when there is a Lot of Motion...

This is because say for instance your AVI file has a frame rate of 23.976fps and you encode it to Mpeg2/SVCD at 29.976fps ,that means there is a 6 frame per second differance if Frame rate and the encoder has to encode 6 frames every second that do not exist so what it does is it just duplicates every 4th Frame...
    So that Jumpyness you are seeing is actually repeated Frames....
    In normal Motion it is allmost impossible to notice but when there is a lot of Movement you can really see it....

So before encodeing check your AVI files frame rate and Make sure you select the Correct Frame rate setting depending on your Source file....

Cheers

3. StAshlar

StAshlar Member

Thanks for the advice Minion. What you say makes a lot of sense. A dumb question but how do I find out the framerate of the avi's?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well there are many ways Like right click the AVI file and go to "Properties" and it should tell you some stuff about your file or you can Download "Virtual-Dub" and Load your AVI file into it and go to "File" to "File Information" and it will List everything about your File...

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

Cheers

5. StAshlar

StAshlar Member

Thanks Minion. I worked out the Virtualdub route early this evening. Unfortunately, here's the new problem. I am encoding for playback on a PAL system. Therefore, TMPGenc is encoding at 25 FPS. However, the source material is NTSC and is running at 23.9 FPS.

Can't think of a way around this one! Haven't had time to try various routes yet so if you know of a fix, please pass it in my direction.

Many thanks
    Ash

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Idealy The Best route would be to Speed up the Video from 23.976fps to 25fps but the Problem with this is How to go about speeding up the Video and the Audio to 25fps....

I suggest that you use "AVISynth" to frameserve your avi File to Tmpgenc...
    AVISynth can Speed up your audio and Video and serve it to Tmpgenc and Tmpgenc will think it is encodeing a 25fps Pal AVI file....

You can download AVISynth on this Page:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/avisynth2/AviSynth_254.exe?use_mirror=easynews

OK...This is How you use AVISynth...

#1)First go and Open your Windows "Notepad"....
    (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Notepad)

#2)Now in Notepad write:

aviSource("C:\The Path to my movie file.avi")
    AssumeFPS(25,True)

#3) Now save the Notepad file but with an " .avs " extention ...(Also make sure you put in the Correct Path and name of your Source AVI file)

#4) Now Just Load the Saved .avs file into Tmpgenc and encode it to Pal SVCD and the Frameserver will speed up both the audio and Video and serve it to Tmpgenc as a 25fps AVI file......

You should test the .avs file to make sure it shows a Picture by playing it with Media Player, If there is something wrong with the .avs file like you didn"t put the correct path to your AVI file or did a Spelling mistake then it should say so in the Screen when you try to play the .avs file.....

Well I hope you understand all of this?? It is actually Quite easy as Long as you correctly make the .avs file.....

Cheers