1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Direct Burn vs. Capture to AVI, then burn

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by GymRatt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. GymRatt

GymRatt Guest

I am totally confused about how a Direct Burn can have superior quality to capturing and then burning. I am making a backup of an old VHS tape to DVD. What I have found is, if I use Pinnacle 10's Direct Burn to DVD as it captures, I get a very good picture. If I however, capture the VHS to AVI, then create menus and burn to DVD, the picture quality is significantly less, using the same type media (DVD-R).

Can someone shed light onto why this happens?

Thanks!

2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Not having used the programs in question I can't be too sure if this is correct but, given what you described it sounds to me like what may be happening is this. When you use direct burn it's probably encoding directly to DVD compliant mpeg, and if this is the case, then it's a one step process, therefore it doesn't lose as much. If you capture then create a dvd, it is capturing to a compressed avi, then encoding that to compliant mpeg. So you're starting with a compressed source, and then re-encoding, and it's losing quality per each step.

3. batwell

batwell Member

Hi guys,

I've been having the rendering problem that everryone has when trying to create a DVD from their project?

However last night i uninstalled Pinnacle in an attempt to bypass this option (big mistake). Now it won't let me have more than one title in my project and it still won't burn????

Any help please?

I have ulead - any good for burning?