1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Studio 9 - How to edit video from a DVD (VOB files)

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by johnlintz, Jan 10, 2006.

1. johnlintz

johnlintz Member

I have a DVD with 20 minutes of home video on it (i.e. so theres no copy protection on it).

I would like to edit this video in Pinnacle Studio (version 9.3.0.)

However, when I browse the folder where the VOB files are located on the DVD disc, the only file types Pinnacle recognises are...

- avi
    - mpg
    - mp2

So how do I go about editing the VOB files in Pinnacle ?

Can I open the VOB files directly in Pinnacle or do I have to convert the VOB files first ?

If I have to convert the VOB files, what format do I convert them to and what software can I use ?

I do not want to loose any quality if I have to convert the VOB files.

Thanks,

John

2. rp_024

rp_024 Guest

No, unfortunately Pinnacle has not figured out how to edit VOB files of yet. You'd have to convert them to MPEG II format, then import back into Studio. You won't lose any quality. MPEG II is basically DVD format. There's all kinds of softwares available for conversion.

Try here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/

3. johnlintz

johnlintz Member

AHHHH !!!

Please help this is driving me mad !

I have tried two programs to convert the VOB files for use in Pinnacle.

I tired WinAVI and ImTOO DVD Ripper.

WinAVI gives me a 'Failure in encoding' message when I try to convert any of the VOB files to AVI.

ImTOO DVD Ripper seems to convert the VOB files alright, but the converted files wont play and Pinnacle wont accept them.

I converted the VOB files to...

- DivX AVI
    - RAW AVI
    - MPEG2 AVI (Pinnacle crashes when opening this)
    - WMA

None of the converted files even worked in Media Player or Real Player.

So not suprisingly Pinnacle wouldnt open or play them either.

I've had this problem before when trying to edit some DVD video footage in Pinnacle.

Fortunatley I managed to get hold of the original MiniDV tape and used a camcorder to firewire it to Pinnacle Studio.

But with DVD's being so common, there must be some way of getting DVD video into Pinnacle Studio ??

Someone out there must have done this ?

4. rp_024

rp_024 Guest

As is the case Pinnacle for some reason or other has not figured out how to edit VOB's. However, conversion does work if done properly. For starters, you won't be able to import mpeg files unless you've unlocked the mpeg utility with your pixie codes. Pinnacle will not recognize the file if you save it in MPEG II format. It has to be saved in regular old standard MPEG format. Pinnacle also, only recognizes the standard avi format as well, not diVX, or xviD or any of the other avi extension extensions. A real descent converter is "Super Video Converter". I use it all of the time in conjunction with Studio and get excellent results. Hope this helps.

5. rp_024

rp_024 Guest

Oh, by the way. Yes, I contradicted myself in my original response. Hence the correction in this previous response.

6. IanSharpe

IanSharpe Member

Hi there,

You must have an earlier version of S9 because my version 9.4.3 , i think thats the version, has an import DVD option. I use it all the time.

but failing this , here is a simple solution.It works as I have tried it.

Simply rename the vob file from name.vob to name.mpg

it works!!! Studio should then be able to read the file.

I do this in the dos prompt mode, the command is

cd\folder where your files are

rename name.vob name.mpg

or if you are Ok with DOS commands

rename c:\folder where your files are\name.vob c:\folder where your files are\name.mpg

to check if that worked

run the command dir

that will list all the files & their extensions in that folder

cheers

7. rp_024

rp_024 Guest

LOL! How bout that. With all of the crap I've been doing with the stupid program I never even noticed. Ok, I'm a moron.