1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIO vs UDMA

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Helpful1, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

What are some good websites where i can order 16X DVD-R's in bulk for the forthcoming Pioneer 108? My local Best Buy only sells media up to 8x.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe 16X media is available now. The fastest rated media on the shelves is 12X. God help you if you want to burn at those speeds and expect quality results...................

3. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

So a spindle of 8x DVD-Rs would do it good? That's still twice as fast (possibly more since i can only burn in PIO mode) than i have currently

Any brand names or are some better than others? Or should this thread get moved over to DVD media? Right now i'm using fujifilm 4x media

4. Nephilim

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  5. Nephilim

If you're stuck burning in PIO mode there's no amount of speed rating on a disc that will help. Even though your burner will recognize the media as 8x and possibly try to burn it as such the transfer speeds required to sustain an 8X burn simply won't be there unless DMA is enhabled.

I've done a few test burns at 8X and although they seemed to go well I simply don't trust the compatibility of media burned at that speed after running into a playback problem with a certain player and media burned at 8X.

*edit* turned a double post into something useful :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  6. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Actually i was referring to when i install my new pioneer drive :) Which according to newegg/fedex should be delivered tomo...err today...

I need to start going to bed earlier...

7. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

OK now i am completely perplexed.

New Motherboard
    New Operating System
    New IDE (80pin) cable
    New DVD burner

SAME I/O ERROR

GYAH!! I'm Going Crazy!!

8. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

It just dawned on me. The only thing i brought out of the old system as part of the upgrade is the 16x dvd-rom.

In the ASUS bios settings, the new pioneer has a marker for PIO (auto, 0-4) and DMA (DMA, MDMA, UDMA) whereas the old dvd-rom (set to slave) is either auto or PIO.

I tried setting the Secondary IDE for IDE-0 "DMA if availible" and IDE-1 (dvd-rom) to "PIO only" to see if there's some sort of conflict with the old drive.

Nope... :(

Is there any possible way that a setting on the old 16x dvd-rom (slave) could be causing the (master) pioneer (and former sony) to only work in "PIO Only"?

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Oh yes, if they are on the same IDE..............

Disconnect the dvdrom and see what happens......

10. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Okay...Somebody want to explain exactly how a slave DVD-rom can cripple its master optical drive to being in PIO mode only?

I disconnected the power molex and ide cable from the dvd-rom and the new pionner runs in UDMA mode 4 perfectly.
    Odds are this was also causing the error with the Sony dvd-+RW.

And this was a darn good dvd-rom too. Ripping speeds usually exceeded 6X (its a 16x but i doubt i'll ever see ripping speeds that high).

Hey Nephilim, got a suggestion for a fast-ripping dvd-rom?

11. Nephilim

Oh yes I do :)

The Lite-On 166S or 167T is, in my opinion, the best little DVD ROM out there. I've used mine for two years now and the thing still blazes through everything I've stuffed in it (except that pancake but that's another story). They can be picked up for around $30.

Here's an exapmle:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-131-119&depa=1

12. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Nephilim, new Lite-on installed and both the Pioneer and Lite-on are working in pristine UDMA mode.

I'm still puzzled how the dvd-rom could cause the master to work only in PIO mode but ah well.

Time to get to work!

Thanks people!

13. Nephilim

I'm puzzled too, probobly just a bad drive. At least you have a new Litey and you're set to start burning like crazy!

Don't be a stranger now :)

14. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

One more thing.

DVD-shrink doesnt recognize the pioneer as a dvd-rw.

Zuh?

15. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It is a similar issue to to RAM.

For example, you have 1 PC100 and 1 PC133 based ram sticks installed - you system will default to running at the lowest frequency PC100 (unless you have manually altered the clock rates).

The same is with PIO/DMA - if your dvdrom is reporting back PIO, then it will pull the IDE channel down to the lowest transfer method.

However if Windows had adjusted that, it could be changed within device manager.......

But it seems from your post, that the ASUS BIOS is reporting it as PIO - that is where the problem is, the BIOS is picking it up as PIO, so windows will do the same and the BIOS is what windows is referencing from.

I know you have it sorted now, but could you alter it all in the BIOS - maybe worth a shot if you still have the drive if you can............
    Other than that, it maybe worthwhile reflashing the dvdrom's firmware to see if that clears the problem..........

16. panosk

panosk Member

So what is the solution to the problem you had helpful1? It seems that I have exactly the same problem, a DVD reader and a DVD burner plugged into the same IDE channel, the DVD reader is mastre and the DVD burner is slave, but the reader does not work with the error message

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

The burner works fine.

If I unplug the burner and only leave the reader on it works fine. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

17. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Seems I'm 'late to the party'
    The DVD-Rom wasn't a bad one, just an old one.
    It will not play nice master/slaving with the burner, as you discovered in time...
    Burner's just fine, as master, by itself.
    I rip DVDs with my Sony 8x burner, works great.
    Sure don't need second DVD reader.
    @ panosk
    So, pull the reader :)
    Or at least try the burner as master and the reader as slave.
    You must have an old PC (or know someone who has a PC) that needs a DVD player...
    L8R

18. panosk

panosk Member

The_OGS thanks for your answer, I will try switching master/slave, I had that in mind also, but I do not want to get rid of the reader since I want to have the option to burn DVDs from one disk to the other.

I was mainly wondering if I can try some other solution that involves software, like updating the drivers (I already tried it) etc.

19. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You [bold]might[/bold] be able to burn from DVD to DVD only if they are on separate controllers.
    But it is not a good plan...
    Attempting that using two drives on the same controller is nothing but a recipe for DVD-coasters.
    No drivers or software will help.
    Heck, even burning CDs direct (not involving HD) is always risky.
    Any DVD should always be ripped to HD with DVDDecrypter, anyway, to remove region/protection/macrovision etc.
    If you can get the 2 drives to play nice together, then that's good.
    But right now it's the source of your problem, and offers little or no benefit to you in return...
    Good luck :)

20. panosk

panosk Member

So do you say that even if I can manage to make the dvd reader work I won't be able to burn from dvd to dvd on the fly?