1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 106D Installation Problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mvyvoda, Aug 13, 2003.

1. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

Hello,

I would like to start off by saying that I am a complete idiot when it comes to hardware and computers. I just installed the Pioneer DVR106D. I just used common sense when connecting the serial ribbon cable and power cable to the device. There are several side affects to this:

1.) My floppy drive doesn't work and I get an error message when I startup.

2.) My CD-RW Drive is acting strangly (if I want to play a game it hangs). However, this might not have anything to do with the installation.

3.) Most importantly, the Pioneer DVR106D is not being recognized.

The question I have for ya'll is what are the first things I should check for when troubleshooting this problem?

I appreciate all of you help!!!

Mark

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, first of all, did you accidentally bump the floppy cable and/or it's power supply?

Secondly, what were the jumper settings on the CD and the DVD burner?

3. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

i have the jumpers set on MA (master) and i just checked my floppy drive cables and they seem to be alright.

it looks like the power cable i used to power the dvr106 was the only one that was available in my computer. like i said, i am pretty ignorant about this stuff but i do have common sense about it all.

i am thinking it is a hardware conflict problem (not that i know what that means). any suggestions?

thanks again,
    mark

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

If both are set to master it will not work.

Set one to slave, or both of them to Cable Select.

5. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

i couldn't see any jumper options on the floppy drive. should i just set the dvr106 to cable select and see what happens?

thanks,
    mark

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Try not to put it on the same IDE as the floppy. Stick the HDD with it and put your Writer on with your CD ROM. Make the Writer master and the CD ROM slave. Sorry for butting in to the maestro area (Kens area) ;-)

7. spacemans

spacemans Member

I have a Pioneer 106D and have had no problems with it. I have it on the same ribon as my DVD player. I have the Pioneer as the master and the DVD player as the slave. XP recognized it straight away and I have had no problems burning to it with NERO 6.

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I guess you didn't see the episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" where she ended up having two masters. She wound up going crazy.

Same thing with computers. OK, first of all, the problem with the floppy is it likely isn't plugged in properly. Other than that let's ignore it for now.

There's 2 IDE slots on most computers; primary and secondary. Usually for hard drive and CD-ROM respectively. To have 2 of either type, the jumpers must be set either as master and slave, or both to cable select.

If this is still giving you trouble I'd call up a firend who knows computers.

9. XrichardX

XrichardX Member

I had a similar problem when I installed my new Pioneer 106. Are you installing anything else along with the drive. Whenever I did this, it seemed to do the same thing you have, whenever the comp. restarted, the drive disappeared. All I needed to do was turn off the comp, and let it sit for a minute or two. Then restart it, and your drive should be back. I don't know about the floppy disc problem though. Hope this helped!

10. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

alright, bear with me on this reply:

i have three ribbon cables to deal with:
    ide1, ide2 and some other ribbon cable next to them. ide2 goes to all my cd/dvd drives.
    ide1 goes to my harddrive (it has more wires than the others, i think). and the other ribbon cable now goes to the floppy drive that doesn't work.

when i unplugged my cd-rw drive to use for the pioneerdvr106 it worked. unfortunely there aren't any more interconnects on that ribbon.

can i just buy another interconnect and hook it up to use with both my cd-rw and dvd-rw and dvd? right now there are only 2 interconnects on that ribbon, i need three for my cd-rw, dvd, and dvd-rw.

also, my floppy is connected to the other ribbon cable that is not labeled ide1 or ide2. there are several interconnects on the ide1 ribbon cable, but it looks like it has more wires on them.

i guess i need to know two things:

1.) can i buy another interconnect to put on the ide2 ribbon and connect my 3 cd/dvd drives to?

2.) which ribbon cable should the floppy drive be connected to?

you guys are really helping me out on this one!!! i appreciate it!

-mark

11. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Answer #1- you can only have 2 devices on each ribbon. Myself, I sold my CD-RW once I got my DVD burner.

Answer#2- The floppy is the thinner of the 3 ribbon cables.

Now one trick to remember is this; install the power cable first as it always can only go on one way. Then "line up the reds." What that means is this: The red from the power should go right beside the red ribbon on the ribbon cable if the red power is inside. Once in a while you'll come across a drive where the red for the power is on the outside, so the red for the ribbon cable also goes on the outside.

Exception; sometimes now they make the IDE cable blue instead of red. We all know this is a conspiracy against me personally. (lol)

Now, as somebody is sure to point out, you can put the CD-RW on the same cable as the hard drive. I would not recommend doing that. The reason is your hard drive communicates to the motherboard at 100 or 133 Mhz. Optical drives communicate at 33 or 66. If you slap an optical drive on you will slow your hard drive speed down.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  12. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

gentlemen,

i appreciate all the help you have given me thus far!! it turned out that the ribbon cable i was using for my floppy needed to be upsidedown (red wire on the other side). it musta been something non-standard with the floppy drive.

my dvd-rw is recognized and i will test it out this evening!

thanks again,
    mark

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Great Job to Ken there i think - a handy guy to have around. When you coming over to mess about with my computer?? Ill give you $5 if you get the plane fair lol ;-)

14. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

man, i hate doing this...... but:
    i have everything installed (my dvd-rom and dvd-rw and floppy drive all are being recognized). however, i can't seem to read anything on the pioneer dvd-rw :-/

i am not able to upgrade my firmware (it keeps telling me of a sense key error). i couldn't find much of anything else of their website.

how do i upgrade the firmware and after that what would be the first steps in troubleshooting this? i've tried reading cd's, cd-r's, and dvd's. nothing...

any suggestions?
    thanks,
    mark

15. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Chris, are we talking US$ or CDN$ ??? (lol)

OK, Mark. Now here's where it all gets fun. What version of Windows are you running? If it's XP, is it SP1?

16. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

it's XP, and it is the most up to date service pack (so, i guess that's sp1?), but to be honest i donno.

17. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties."

Also, check your PM.

18. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

i am relatively literate when it comes to hardware (other than updating firmware :-/)

i've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. nada. is there a better, more efficient place to talk. my email is vyvoda"AT"rose-hulman"DOT"edu. my AIM name is simbear17.

mark

19. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, it's getting late here, and I'm also on my laptop which it a pain to type on. (Main PC is burning a DVD as we speak.) I'll catch up with you on the board in the morning. Unless somebody else has some ideas.

Here's what I want to know for now......

- Is the new drive reading anything? I want you to try store bought CD's as well as store bought DVD's.

- I assume the DVD-ROM is reading stuff. Try the stuff that failed on the reader on the ROM.

I'll have one more thing for you in a minute..... this laptop is Win98 and I need to walk through something on the main computer.

20. mvyvoda

mvyvoda Member

the dvdrw is not reading anything (store bought cd's or dvd's or cd-r's).

the stuff that was reading on the ROM was not reading in the RAM.