1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIONEER 108 BURNS FAILING

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Eromezis, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

I have installed a Pioneer 108 as an external drive through an enclosure that connects through USB. It seems to work fine, when i used DVD encrpter to rip it worked like a charm. However, every time I have tried to burn the dvd using NERO it has failed before it can even write the lead-in. Can someone please help me figure this out?

My system is as follows:

AMD AthlonXP 1600+
    512 DDR ram
    Western Digital 6gb harddrive
    Maxtor 30 Gb harddrive
    TDK velocd drive
    Toshiba DvD rom drive
    Pioneer DVR-108 (external)
    direct x 9c
    Nvidia Ti4400 video card

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

id guess either
    a-bad media (use the good stuff, you save money)
    b-possibly aspi layer, not sure if usb uses it though but it cant hurt to check
    c-bad media
    d-Western Digital 6gb harddrive
    Maxtor 30 Gb harddrive...how much free space???

3. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

My 6 GB hard drive is nearly full, but my other one has about 11 GB free. That is where I am sending all the files that I am trying to burn. Someone else mentioned I should use DVD shrink, but the encrypted files are already small enough to fit on one dvd, so I shouldnt have to, right?

Could it be the MEmorex media? But it also failed on a sample disc they sent with my burner, so it doesn't seem like that could be it. What is this ASPI layer everyone keeps mentioning? I don't know if I have that.
    When it fails it has said something like SCSI aborted. Does ths help? Also I printed the Nero fail log. In it it says the SCSI_HASTAT_REQUEST_SENSE_FAILED.
    Then it says KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST

DOes this help?

4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

have you tried ripping and writing with decrypter (iso write mode)???
    Aspi is the way your drive and program communicate, basically.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/aspi.cfm

run the aspichk.exe file and that will tell you if your layer is installed/functioning
    Memorex media is not really known for its quality control. Try ritek, ty, verbatim metal azo.

Is it possible for you to try using the burner internally?? And do you have SP2 installed as some users have reported problems with it

5. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

I think it has something to do with the buffer because I tried to burn a regular cd on my DVD-RW drive also and it failed too. The buffer started working then abruptly stopped and failed again, on a 250 MB mp3 disc! Does Nero automatically buffer the drive on your C drive, because if so, then maybe thast is the issue? Or, could it be that my motherboard cant handle three drives on my system because it keeps saying SCSI aborted???

HELP!!!!

6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

ok. Is your usb port on your mother board?? Or add on card?? Have you checked the usb driver version and tried updating it??

7. ptndan

ptndan Member

Hi,

Could it be that you're connecting your burner using the USB1.1 version? And how fast are you burning your media?
    Buffer under-runs could be a problem, since the amount of data needed to burn may be significantly higher than the bandwidth of USB 1.1.
    Try using USB 2.0 and burn at the same speed before.

8. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

Should be USB 2.0 already. I have two slots on the board and a card with five slots. I have the drive connected through the card. Should be no problem there, since my modem also uses a slot in the card.

I tried using encrypter and shrink to burn and it told me there was a conflict in the Nero ASPI between two versions in the Ahead folder. I tried updating my aspi version. At first it appeared to fix the problem...Nero started through a DVD burn like it hadnt before, then it stopped again and now does what it did before. Could this all be caused from the Nero version I am using? I got an OEM version through the DVD shipping and upgraded it to burn dvd video. I really suck at this!

9. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

uninstall nero fully, reboot, reinstall nero

10. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

Thanks for the help everyone, but it turns out it was something to with trying to use the drive as an external drive. There was a communication error I assume through the use of the USB connection, since I put the drive in my computer as a slave drive and it now works perfectly!! Hurray!! It took a while, and 11 coasters later I have a functioning dvd burner. I don't understand why it wouldn't work through the external enclosure, but I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks again everyone!

11. plainsmen

plainsmen Member

Yeah well I got sick and tired of maybe 1 out of 5 burns working because this stupid azz SCSI Abort error...

I took the advice I saw on this thread and this morning I ripped my Pioneer 108 out of that little stupid external box I bought it in... slapped it in as a replacement to my CD-Rom I had in my computer and PRESTO..

No more SCSI errors.... 4 successful burns in a row so far with no stupid azz error...

I literally wasted 24 DVD-R's over the last 3 days because of this stupid azz russian roulette error garbage.

So now I have an internal DVD +-R/RW... That's apparently how you fix it.

Nero seems to hate the USB.

12. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

i dont think its usb as a whole. My 300e is hooked up through USB2 and never had a problem. I think its the speed of the drive (try slower burn or use firewire)
    Is your external case powered off the usb port or does it have a power brick???

13. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

My external drive enclosure was self powered. I tried burning at slower speeds and the same thing still happened. I think the problem is trying to use an internal drive as an external drive, although I could be wrong. It has worked perfectly since I installed it in my computer. I would have tried firewire, but I wasn't sure if I could transfer video files through my firewire port in my soundcard, but that's another question altogether.

14. Bloobell

Bloobell Member

Here's the solution gents

Had the very same problem with my Pioneer DVD-108, which I also bought as a caddied EXTERNAL drive. Pioneer said the drive was never intended to be an external drive and wouldn't help so I tried various bits of software before finding a fantastic one which is both mega easy to use and extremely stable.

Visit www.ntius.com and get CD and DVD Maker and all your ills will disappear

Good luck