1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 108 Installation (Very Strange)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Spyder27, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Spyder27

Spyder27 Member

Hope you guys can help me.
    I've just bought a Pioneer 108, tempted by the dual layer capabilities. Installed it and detected fine in XP Pro SP1, however.....
    The drive shows up in Nero (latest version 6.3.1.20) and I've even updated to the latest firmware (1.06) but no disks are detected in the drive. I have tried CD, DVD-Rom, original DVD movies, DVD movie copies, etc.
    The current setup is ABit IS7 borad running 2 SATA drives (not Raid) Pioneer set as Master on IDE 1 and my Sony CDRW as Master on IDE 2. I have tried the drives in all combinations but all to no avail. I have left the Pioneer as Master on IDE 1 because it utilises ATA66 and shows up fine in Device manager which says it is using UDMA Mode 4. I have set the region to region 2. I have disabled AnyDVD and enabled it. Now I'm not a novice to DVD Writers this is now my 3rd and I've had no problems (apart from the usual) until now.
    Is it something to do with the drive using ATA66? Have I missed something obvious? It's a real pain not to be able to try the drive out and see what it's like.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

Spyder

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I received my 108 today, it came with no firmware, so which firmware are you using? Mine will play dvds, but will not burn. This is no doubt as the firmware is not installed. I've been to the Pioneer website- no firmware, only for 107s etc. I've put my Sony DRU510a back in for now, until I locate the firmware for my Pioneer. I suspect you do not have the correct firmware installed, but I am probably wrong!

3. Spyder27

Spyder27 Member

This is what makes it even stranger, it came with 1.04 on it and I updated the firmware fine to 1.06 so how come everything sees it but it can't see disks.
    Just tried it in my Win2k3 Server PC and same there so looks like a faulty drive. Back it goes

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I don't think the firmware you are using is correct, I have looked on the Pioneer website & there are no firmware downloads for the 108. It also says that the burner is not properly available until September. There are a few outlets where you can get them though. I guess this is for the people who can write their own progs for it. I'm only hazarding a guess but I think you would be premature to send it back. I would wait until Pioneer release some firmware for it. Even then the 1st firmware will probably updated quickly as issues are sorted out, conflicts etc! I do think that this burner is the way to go though, Pioneer have a very good track record for quality products & more importantly support. Everyone I know rates the 107, I guess the 108 will follow in its footsteps. This is probably because the 108 is an improved 107!

5. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

The dvr107 was made available last week and is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version which is intended for manufacturers to install in their machines. The retail version the DVR-A08XL won’t be made available till September which includes a honeycomb chassis to reduce vibration from the drive mechanism, a funky front bezel and software.
    Below is a link to download the firmware update (rev.1.06) for the dvr108.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/568

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I stand corrected! I have just got my drivers for my 108 as per SparkyNis'instructions. MARVELLOUS! SparkyNi you are a star!

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Will Alcohol 120% work with Dual layer?

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Fitted my drivers, works a treat, a lot quicker to read than my DRU510a. MARVELLOUS!!

9. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

Hi Pulsar

Checked out alcohol's forum as regards to dual layer burning, according to an admin it won't be supported until the next version release.

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Thanks for that, My name in Alcohols' forum is Max-Burn! I prefer it to Nero on some burns, but nero does have its' advantages. It's always nice to have lots of options available to one!

11. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

No problem, although you obviously knew that already as it was your post (max-burn) that I got the info off. I only use nero for audio wheni want to back up my movies i use clone dvd and any dvd, hasn't failed me yet.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I love my AnyDvd & DVD43 too! I haven't had a failure in ages. I use Nero for music & some DVDs. It really depends on my mood!

13. astatin

astatin Guest

Hi Pulsar,

I just bought a pioneer 108 a few days ago and I'm having the same problem you described earlier. It plays DVDs but it doesn't recognise DVD-Rs. Everytime I try to burn a dvd, Nero says 'this is not a writable dvd, please insert a writable dvd'.

I've upgraded the firmware as SparkyNi instructed but it's still the same. I'm quite new to dvd burning and I'm not sure if I've missed anything. I've tried it with Datasafe, Datawrite grey and Infinity DVD-Rs.

I fitted the drive to an external casing to use with my laptop and I'm very disappointed because I spent 80 pounds for it.

Please help. I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me what's wrong.

A great thank you for any help.

Please help.

14. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

Try setting up your drive internally in another system and see if it does the same thing, it may be a faulty drive or the external casing. Also you never specified what version of Nero you are using as upgrading to the newest version (ver 6.3.1.20) may help.
    http://www.ahead.de/en/nero-up.php
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  15. Spyder27

Spyder27 Member

Well replacement drive arrived today, fitted and working like a dream. So quiet you wouldn't know it was running.
    Now just got to wait for the price of D/L disks to come down in price

16. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

I heard a lot about DL recorder and DL media? who are they? what is their diference between SL I think? what are its uses?

17. regs4

regs4 Member

Did you know there is another firmware upgrade at the Pioneer website? V1.10

18. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

dl = duel layer = ~8.5 gig dvd+r disc
    sl = single layer = 4.37 gig dvd+-r disc

19. joxodoxo

joxodoxo Member

I just installed DVR 108 and my puter does not even see it. I run Win XP Pro. Any ideas? ??

20. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Wow ... the DVR-108 is only $98 delivered from NewEgg.com  no excuses, I've gotta get one!