1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 111D changing drive type when dvd is inserted:(

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by drakonis, Jan 2, 2008.

1. drakonis

drakonis Member

This is my first post on these forums, I decided to post here because of the detailed fix tips I saw on this site. Well heres one for you.

I am using a Pioneer 111D DVD burner in my pc, the pc recognizes it as a DVD-RW but when I insert a DVD, either burnt or otherwise the drive changes from a DVD-RW to CD-ROM!? This drive was originaly an external drive config, which I disassembled and placed the drive internally into my system. I can burn all forms of discs that the drive supports but can not read DVDs, as I said burnt or otherwise! As stated the drive changes from a DVD-RW to a CD-ROM when a DVD is placed inside and when you open the drive it shows the DVD as a blank CD.

Please Help:(

Windows XP Home SP2
    Pentium 4 3.0c GHz Presscott Core 800MHz FSB
    ASrock P4V88 motherboard
    1 GB dual channel RAM
    Nvidia GE Force FX 5500 256 MB AGP 8x

need anymore info pls ask.

2. drakonis

drakonis Member

Evidently this must have alot of you stomped. Could it be that I need to update to External firmware since the drive was originaly an External Drive?
    I am completely lost, All help and suggestions appreciated.

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's normal XP procedure. Mine have always done that. That is not indicative of any problem.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's normal XP procedure. Mine have always done that. That is not indicative of any problem.

5. drakonis

drakonis Member

I'm confused maybe you misunderstand what I am saying.? Before I place a disc in the drive "My Computer" shows the drive as a DVD-RW. When I place a burnt dvd that I need to get information off of, or try to watch a dvd movie using that drive the pc respondes as if a blank CD-R has been inserted. If I then look in "My Computer" the drive is shown as a CD-ROM drive and I can not acess info on the disc or watch movies from this drive. Meaning that I can burn files to a DVD but then can not retrieve the files off of said disc using the same drive.

Are you saying that this drive will only read a CD-R or CD-ROM, but NOT DVD media? If so Could you please elaborate on why that is, as far as is it model specific for this drive or something to that effect?

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well the top part of this pic shows my opticals empty. You'll note the designation.

The bottom part shows what happens when I put a blank DVD in H:, again note it now says CD Drive.

[​IMG]

Is this what you mean?

7. drakonis

drakonis Member

Yes that is what is ocurring on my system when you put a blank DVD in the drive. It appears that the DVD I been trying to open is bad or corrupt as after reading your post I decided to try a store bought DVD which was recognized right away. I appologize for not checking this sooner. I am going to try a different burnt DVD and see if I can open the disc and retrieve files from it if I can then I will not repost and you will all know that I am a moron (lol)! If it doesnt work then you will hear from me again.

Thanks for your help it is appreciated :)