1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-420V-K settings

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by umniy2000, Dec 28, 2009.

1. umniy2000

umniy2000 Member

I just upgraded my Pioneer DV-420V-K player to a new firmware v.1.1, allowing it to display long filenames. A few other things I'd like to get fixed, if possible:
    -any chances of displaying filenames in Russian, if they are Russian (I am using it in USB mode with an external HD)? Sometimes I watch Russian movies and have to rename them transliterate in English, which looks funny; otherwise the filename is displayed in gibberish. I tried changing one of the settings (DVD menu language) from English to Russian, but it did not help: Russian file names are still gibberish and English is fine. I have not changed settings to multiregion, but doubt that has anything to do with my question, does it?
    -looks like the files order is by "Created date". I'd like to have them alphabetically by "Name". I even tried experimenting and changing the "Created date" in a few files using an attribute changing software. It did change them, but in the USB mode the player still had them in the original order.
    -actually, the third question is very small: in USB mode I have "System Volume" and "Deleted" folders shown. There is an odd file in ""System Volume" and a few other files in "Deleted", looks like the ones I could possibly deleted before. I did not think they would create "Deleted" folder on my external HD. Not a big deal, just a nuisance.
    Thank you for the help.

2. bc12

bc12 Member

Can you tell me if this dvd player is region free Iwas looking at buying one. Thanks

3. umniy2000

umniy2000 Member

I did not try making it region-free. But there are several good threads in this Forum describing how to do it. I'm sure it'll work just fine.
    A couple other details I could share with you, as I've been using it every day:
    -the settings are very good and versitale;
    -the picture quality is excellent;
    -with my old DivX Philips player I could never get the aspect ratio right, no matter what I did. With this Pioneer there is no problem whatsoever;
    -I was hoping it'll remember where the movie has stopped and I could bookmark it and re-start from that point. Unfortunately, it's not, if playing from the USB hard drive. So, either you have to pause and keep the player and the HD ON till you get back to resuming watching the movie, or you have to write down the time point, shut everything OFF and then re-start the movie and fast-forward to that spot again. In the manual it says it memorizes up to 5 movies playing from DVD, but I did not have a chance to try it, 'cause I am using a HD all the time.
    Regards.