1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIONEER DVD-RW AND HOW TO USE THEM FOR COPYING

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by KRAYS, Oct 12, 2001.

1. KRAYS

KRAYS Guest

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME,IM NEW TO THIS GAME AND HAVE SOME QUESTIONS THAT I HOPE SOMEONE CAN ANSWER FOR ME THANKS.IF I HAD A DVD-RW AND SAY A DVD FILM AND WANTED TO MAKE A COPY OF IT,AND PUT IT ON TO ANOTHER DVD DISK,HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT DOING THIS AND WHAT SOFTWARE IS NEEDED,I WANT IT TO BE JUST LIKE A CD-R THAT CAN BE USED TO COPY MUSIC DISK TO DISK.PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME THANKS VERY MUCH KRAYS

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

There's no very easy way for that one. Basically you still need to rip the DVD using DVD ripper like SmartRipper and then you need to decode the VOBs to MPEG-2 video.

After that you need to author the DVD with some DVD authoring tool like SpruceUp and burn to the DVD with Nero or similiar DVD-R supporting tool.

Problem is that current recordable DVD formats only allow you to have 4.7GB on one disc and therefor you normally can't fit any extras to the disc as normal DVD-Video movies are either in flipper or dual layer format and have more than 4.7GB on them.

And blank recordable DVD discs cost the same as movies :)

3. GonzoXP

GonzoXP Guest

DVD-R's are coming down in price, so that argument has gotten old. Burners are coiming down, too, so I'm hoping to see some automated front-ends coming out for this process.

4. dRD

Eventually there will be, I'm sure -- only thing is that they'll remain "underground" because of CSS encryption and possible legal issues that might raise if someone, say Ahead, would create a tool that would allow 1:1 DVD backups.

5. GonzoXP

GonzoXP Guest

Absolutely. Also, KRAYS, it is unfortunately not possible to make an EXACT copy of a DVD-Video disk, because the encryption key used by CSS is written in an area of the disk that is pre-filled with garbage on blank-media.

Now... if someone had a source for non-compliant media, then we'd be talking...

6. FrankiB

FrankiB Member

So I just purchased a DVD-RW, It won't let me copy the DVD's Directly Because of Copyright. Theres no software out there yet or anyway around it that anyone knows of? Let me know cause if not then I bought this thing for nothing

Thanx

7. GonzoXP

GonzoXP Guest

http://www.dvd2dvdr.com is an excellent resource.

It doesn't have a whole lot of detail about patching .nfo files to get the movei to come out correctly (Their method works most of the time, but not all of the time), so you need to play around with your movie, and try it out on PowerDVD or other player before burning it, but on the whole, this site should get you going.

-GonzoXP

8. dRD

We have covered this area pretty well here in our DVD-R forums. Basically you can copy DVD to DVD-/+R/RW pretty easily:

-DVD is under 4.36GB -> use SmartRipper's backup feature and burn the VIDEO_TS directory using Nero's UDF/ISO format

-DVD is slightly over 4.36GB (like 4.7GB or so) -> get rid of the extras, additional subtitles, etc using VOBRator and create new IFOs using IFOEdit and burn the thing same way you did for smaller DVD

-if the DVD is way over 4.36GB, like 6.5GB and that contains just the movie, you either need to re-encode the thing (ReMPEG2) or split it over 2 discs.