1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer dvr-104 problems

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by taq, Oct 12, 2002.

1. taq

taq Member

Hi,
    I have recently got a Pioneer DVR-104 and am having problems making anything but coffee mats.
    When creating home movie dvds from either DVDit or Ulead MovieFactory the drive just seems to stop writing at a random point ending in trunicated footage and also crashes the machine. Also when I tried to make an iso data dvd with normal data files (word documents etc) in Nero 5 it seemed to work but some of the data was corrupt and wouldn't access properly (which is not good for backup purposes).

The only success I have got was writing a UDF dvd in nero of the audio and video_ts folders of my home movie (created with dvdit), which although worked fine on my computer didn't play in my set top player (although a movie where the dvd burn in ulead mf went wrong half way through worked fine up to the point the writing went wrong, so I know my player can handle the media fine).
    I'm rapidly running out of blank dvd-r's and patience atm.

Any ideas - do you think my drive is broken or is it more likely to be an OS and driver problem?

Cheers,
    Taq

DVD-R media - White Label 2x rated
    CPU - 1gig athlon
    DVR-104 Drive bought from DigitalPromo.co.uk
    RAM - 512meg
    HDD - 40gig FAT32 and 80gig NTFS

2. harvey713

harvey713 Member

Do yourself a favor and buy a -RW disc. I also have a DVR-104 and it works great.
    Here's my setup:
    Athlon XP-1500
    1 Gig DDR
    2 60 Gig hard drives
    1 internal, 1 USB 2.0, both NTFS
    I do things a little differently than you.
    1. SmartRipper to create m2v and ac3 files
    2. ReMPEG2 to resize m2v if it's too large
    3. IfoEdit, just to make sure VTS sectors
    are OK. This usually results in no changes.
    4. Import into SpruceUp and create title set
    5. Burn from Nero 5.5.9.14

3. harvey713

harvey713 Member

Left out 1 thing. XP Pro. Can't upgrade to SP1. Some kind of message about contacting piracy department. I've made a ton of hardware changes. Hollywood+, Pinnacle Studio AV, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum, removed modem because I needed the slot.

4. taq

taq Member

I've put the dvd writer into a different computer and writing the dvd in nero seemed fine, except the last file written produces a cyclic redundancy check fail.

Could this be a media problem?

Cheers

5. harvey713

harvey713 Member

Might be a bad spot in the media, but I doubt it. If you can, burn to a -RW and see if the same thing happens. Does the file play OK off the hard drive?

6. taq

taq Member

I got in touch with DigitalPromo in the end and I have to say they were very helpful.
    They sent me some free TraxData disks to try (which I did last night) and although I've only had time to try one out it worked fine (I've also bought some -RW's).
    I also managed to write one White Label disk with some home videos on it, so hopefully it was just a dodgy batch of media that was giving me problems. I'll know more after some more tests.

harvey713: Are you using a *cough* version of XP? If so many of the popular serial numbers available have been disabled in SP1.
    There are a number of XP key generators about on the web, and also instructions on how to change your code without re-formatting. Handy for lots of hardware changes.

Cheers,
    Taq

7. taq

taq Member

gah, spoke too soon. The Choice media I tried didn't work either :/
    Either I'm the unluckiest person alive when it comes to ordering bad stocks of blank dvds, ot there's something wrong with the drive.

8. gravey

gravey Guest

i have had the same problems with this drive. i have never been able to get a DVD-R to work and about 75% of CD-Rs have the cyclic redundancy check error.... kinda mad. send pioneer an email and upgraded firmware.

9. zhaozlong

zhaozlong Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2002
  10. taq

taq Member

I'm using 1.32 firmware atm, but I may try the 1.33 version if I don't have any luck with the vendor.

Cheers,
    Taq