1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer dvr-106d communication error

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by wifisea, Dec 2, 2003.

1. wifisea

wifisea Member

I just purchased a new 106 writer, and i am unable to burn anything at 4x. I have tryed several programs, and they all quit about half way through with some kind of error. The latest version of Nero says "communication error". If i reboot my computer and burn in Nero at 2x and dont touch anything it usually works, but this method has still made a few coasters. I have a 1.6Ghz system with 256MB ram, a fresh copy of winXP pro on a 20Gig NTFS partition, and the hd and dvr are each on their own ide channel with DMA enabled. I am burning to memorex x4 -r media, but i dont think this is the problem, since it seems to be some kind of buffer problem. Shouldnt the buffer underrun protection prevent a "communication error"? I feel like i have tried everything, and my stack of coasters is getting larger than my stack of backups. has anybody else had this kind of problem?

2. Coblck

Coblck Guest

Hi mate i have the same problem as you i just installed my pionner dvr-106d and have excatly same problem as you, i have wasted 6 discs so far and burnt about 8. Im using NERO 6.0.0.28b, and it usually happens about half way in, does your buffer level(not used buffer level) go up and down from 100 to 90 while burning, i used to have optorite 203 burner with 8mb buffer(pioneer has only 2Mb buffer) and this kept buffer level stable while burning.
    i just updated my VIA 4-1 drivers from 4.34 to 4.36 and burnt 2 discs without problem so don't no if cured(buffer level jumping a little not below 90% though), i think but not sure it could be a bus problem, im running Asus a7v333 motherboard with AMD XP2400+ 768mb pc2700 ddr, pioneer dv119 dvd rom drive and 2 harddrives in raid 0 configuration. Let me know how your are getting on as im at wits end will backup a few more discs with new VIA drivers to see if anything has improved. Cheers

3. wifisea

wifisea Member

sorry i forgot to reply to this thread. i was so happy when my drive started working. As dumb as it sounds, i actually had gotten a virus on my computer from a roomate, once that was gone, the drive worked flawlessly. Stupid mistake, but it made all the difference. So you might want to check for something like that. good luck.

4. dvdps2

dvdps2 Regular member

I have a Pioneer A05 dvd-r burner. I have had it for about a year. I installed it, everything was working fine and now all of a sudden it's not in my comupter folder. I uninstalled and installed it. I have updated it. I have tried everything. Does anyone have any ideas?