1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-108 Issues with Burning Speeds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Vash78, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Vash78

Vash78 Member

Hey all,

Just installed a new DVR-108 and am currently having 2 issues. Nero Recode 2 will no longer let me select a writing speed. The box is greyed out with no choice listed. Also, Stomp Recordnow 4.5 will now only list Max, Mid, Min as the chooseable speed types. Is there anything I am missing here? Thanks for the help.

2. john179

john179 Active member

I would just uninstall and then install your burning programes again.This way all your burning programes will pick up your new driver from the start.

3. Vash78

Vash78 Member

I wish it was that simple. Both Programs have already been reinstalled, and are currently updated as well.

4. john179

john179 Active member

Sounds a little wierd to me as Pioneer drives work great with Nero.It could be the batch of media you have currently got.I have had the odd batch myself before where it was difficult for some of the programes i use icluding Nero to reconize the speed of the media.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Vash78

Recordnow version 4.5, does not FULLY support the Pioneer 108.

That is why you can only select max,med and min speeds.
    Although, it should then burn at the discs rated speed should you pick max, and works fairly well.

As of yet I do not believe they shall release a pxengine update to overcome this, as the rights are now owned by Sonic.(I have asked).

Sonic are a little mean when it comes to updating software, as a legit owner, they offer you discounts instead of free upgrades - attempt to reduce piracy I guess.

I have Recordnow Deluxe Suite version 7.2 and THEIR latest pxengine update in order to fully utilise the Pioneer 108's capabilities.

Have a look at http://www.sonic.com

I ONLY use Recordnow, and if you like version 4.5, I would recommend a purchase of Sonic's version 7, or 7.2 for simple dvd burning.
    All you need to do is make sure you have your files in a VIDEO_TS folder (and they are structured correctly) and burn as data disc, no other settings to change and works a treat.......

Can not advise you regarding Nero, as you may have gathered I do not go near that stuff.....

Hope this helps............but have a look at the link anyway if you're interested............

6. john179

john179 Active member

baabaa why you not use Nero is his of pesonal choice or coz of technical reason.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

My own purpose and technical reasons really.

I started out with Nero version 5.5.5.17 (Burning ROM), and it worked well, however I had to try ALL the burning options in order to obtain a successful method and that was to burn in DVD UDF only option, and even this sometimes was a little hit and miss.

Recordnow does exactly what I require it to do, that is burn dvd's, cd's, MP3's, straight forward multisession data cd/dvd.
    No extra bells and whistles bundled with it that I would never use.
    It does not swamp my PC with registry alterations, thus reduces bug issues and conflicts.
    The only updates that become available for Recordnow are the pxengine updates (drive/media support) and not regular bug fixes that Nero goes through - 1 per month usually.
    This usually indicates to me that the software has been FULLY road tested before release.

I know that Nero's new version 6 has been vastly improved upon, but I still see the standard issues with burning that was evident with the original release.

Recordnow (IMO)is a more stable software 'out of the box' and the issues encountered with Recordnow are drive/media/PC architecture related and not with possible bugs within the software.

Granted, nothing is 100% in terms of PC software, as ALL PC architecture is different, however for stability I will always use Recordnow until I am convinced otherwise.

You see, I just require a program to burn.......plain and simple and Recordnow accomplishes this with very little input from me.

As for my setup for dvd backups I use:
    Dvd Decrypter - Version 3.1.9.0
    DVD2ONE - Version 1.2.1
    Recordnow Deluxe Suite - Version 7.2
    Ifoedit - on the odd occasion.
    Older versions, but work so need to goto the later versions.

I also do some DV work, and Pinnacle or CCE do the 'crunching' for me leaving me with nice files just to burn...........

Specs:
    P4 2.4GHz HT 800 FSB
    1Gb PC3200 DDR Ram
    Nvidia GeForce FX5200 256Mb DDR Video
    80Gb Maxtor HD
    160Gb Maxtor HD
    80Gb Western Digital external HD
    550Watt PSU
    PCI Ultra ATA133-RAID card - allowing me full data transfers
    LG dvdrom - standard cheapy
    Pioneer 106 DVDRW burner
    Pioneer 108 DVDRW burner
    Windows XP Home Edition SP2
    No ASPI layer installed.
    And a dolphin holographical mouse mat...........

8. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

I just installed a Pioneer DVR-108 and am having troubles. It will rip no problem using DVD encrypter. When I burn using NERO it has failed everytime. I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

9. Cosmo1111

Cosmo1111 Regular member

Okay

Please Read:

Well its probably not the DVD Burner. Its the software.

The only software you will ever need are
    1. DVD Shrink which will alow you to compress the DVD and then burn a back-up ISO file. The compression takes about adverage of 40 Min. After it is compete the ISO (DVD Files all put in one) will automaticly start burning with ...

2. DVD Decrypter will pop up and you will need to put a blank DVD disc into your drive and then it starts burning. With x4 it will take about 15 min to burn. which is a burning software like nero, exept beter

Then you got yourself a DVD.

Both of these sofwares only take about 10 min to understand and work out, because that are both automatic softwares (they do everything automaticly) and they are only like 500kb files to download unlike nero which can be from 5mb to 20mb

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Eromezis,
    You have already posted this question as a seperate thread, please refrain from 'hijacking' this thread by multiposting it, as it is not relevant in this thread.............Thanks.......