1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-108 not recognised!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Mr_Shrimp, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Mr_Shrimp

Mr_Shrimp Member

I bought a OEM Pioneer DVR-108 recently (ie, on wednesday) and it came today. i took out my lite-on cdrw drive which i believe was on a master channel (i also have a dvd-rom drive), and installed it in its place. when i booted up, windows did not recognise it and furthermore, did no longer recognise my dvd-rom. ive done some fiddling, and when i run the new hardware wizard thing, or add hardware in device manager, it recognises that its there and also recognises a "CD-ROM"drive (huh?). then it says the hardware has been installed and to resart my computer.

ok, did that, still nothing there. it doesnt recognise either of my drives. i have tried the pioneer website but they provide no installation details and i dléd the firmware from the site and when run, it says there is no drvie. plz help me!

2. Mr_Shrimp

Mr_Shrimp Member

problem resolved. disregard ;)

3. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

how did you solved your problem? it may be helpful to have this as reference for other people.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

yes now I am curious, what did you do?

5. Mr_Shrimp

Mr_Shrimp Member

well its kinda stupid really. im only 15, and this was my first tmie installing a drive. the problem was that the cdrw that i took out was the master and the dvd-rom was slave, but i didnt change the dvdrom to master. so basically, when i installed the pioneer dvr-108, i had 2 slaves and no master....hehehe

6. boriken

boriken Member

I also purchased a pioneer 108 recently, I have winxp. winxp pro sees the pioneer but when xcopyxpress starts to read I get a I/O read error. I switched it back and forth to my other machine and got the same thing. My toshiba works great, slow but great. All the master/slave selections are OK. I've been told that I need forceaspi, Why can't this stuff be manufactured without us having to do part of the manufactering our selves. can some one help?

7. regs4

regs4 Member

I've got problems with the cd playing sound{none}. DVD playback sound is fine. Some movies prerecorded won't playback. Region is correct. Running XP Pro on a P4 1.8GHZ with 512MB ram.

8. boriken

boriken Member

Are you playing copys? Sometimes you have to make sure the copy has been closed during burning, try playing factory cd's. Also check the configeration for cd play back.

9. regs4

regs4 Member

I'm playing originals and copies and have some sort of driver conflict

10. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi boriken

"Why can't this stuff be manufactured without us having to do part of the manufactering our selves"

There are too many combinations of hardware and software to predict all the possible outcomes and solutions to system problems

For example I have a HP DVD420i (8x burner) that worked fine in my P4 machine before I upgraded to a new Benq DW1610 (16x burner) I put the 420 into a P3 machine and problems galore - a hardware conflict, resolved it by setting the drive to PIO rather than DMA. Out of seven DVD burner installs this is the first time I have had problems burning. After a week I am still trying to understand why I have problems.

You could have the following problems

No software support - Nero in the latest update just supported the drive - see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/100922

DMA

ASPI

I suspect the drive is to new to have full software support. For example my Nero 5.5 does not support the 420i

I hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  11. boriken

boriken Member

To Regs4:
    Sorry I can't give you any more advice, it seems it may be something you'll have to spend some time on.

12. boriken

boriken Member

hello chtohomson,
    Youre right I was just blowing off some team. I finally got the drive going, someone suggested the drive needed to have the region set. now it seems to work. I hope I hope I hope.

13. boriken

boriken Member

To chthomson,
    Thanks for the thread.

14. regs4

regs4 Member

Musical CDs are the bug a boo I cannot seem to square as music skips. I emailed Aussie support for a patch and/or advice. I eliminated all third party software trying to solve the conflict with no avail.

15. regs4

regs4 Member

Pioneer needs to get their ducks in a row. The unit burns great and is very fast with Verbatim 8x

16. regs4

regs4 Member

But playback is poor. Even DVD's may or may not playback

17. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi regs4

We need to double check a few settings

First how is the audio connected to the motherboard - thru the buss or via a 3/4 pin cable. A poor cable or connection could create the problems you are experiencing. Also check the volume settings in Audio properties.

Then lets look at

DMA see http://www.mrbass.org/dvdnewbie/#2 to check it
    see http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx for further details

ASPI - Have you checked your Aspi layer - if the drivers are not all the same version can create problems see Praetor's site at http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#ASPI for a guide and the file

When was the last time the hard drive had a defrag

Let me know - I hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  18. regs4

regs4 Member

The ASPI layer is AOK. DMA checks out. The audio connection is the 3/4 analog plug. My ROM drive slave works perfectly with this cable. Playback of DVD sound with DVR-108 is flawless. This is strictly a music cd phenomena. Pioneer Australia has been contacted on the problem. There have been 2 firmware updates in the last 2 weeks. I feel a patch coming on. Thanks