1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR 109 Burn Speed

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by gspanos, Apr 16, 2005.

1. gspanos

gspanos Member

I recently bought the Pioneer 109 burner and upgraded the original 1.13. firmware to 1.40. It works great, except for not being able to burn the two types of 16x media I've tried at 16x speed. The best I get with Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim disks is about 10x speed. Does anybody here have any idea why I'm not getting top speed? The burning software window shows the 16x speed option and the timer indicates the predicted 16x speed, but it still takes about twice as long.

Interestingly, it burns 2-4x dual layer DVD+R media at 6x speed.

(I'm using Roxio Toast 6.0.7 Titanium software on a 1.25 GHz/768 MB Mac G4, with Panther 10.3 OS)

2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

To run at top speed this burner requires an 80 wire/40 pin IDE cable. If you did a "swap" when you installed the drive, you could be using an older 40 wire/40 pin cable.
    Under Device Manager check the IDE controller that burner is on to make sure it is set for DMD. Also, make sure burner jumper settings are correct. They should be set at "master" and the the very end of cable is used for connection.

3. gspanos

gspanos Member

I did not do a "swap" because this is an external drive. Does that make a difference.

I looked under "device manager" and could not find the item you mentioned.

Thanks for getting back.

4. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

In any event make sure the cable used is the newer 80 wire type to ensure peak speed. This drive is very particular about that. Make sure jumpers for burner are set to "Master" and that the very end of the cable is used, not the middle connector. Any other device on that cable will be the "Slave" and have its jumpers set that way, and use the mid cable connector.
    Device Manager/IDE Controllers/IDE Channel/Advanced Settings. Check to see that the channel your burner is on has the DMA enabled selection checked and is using DMA - not Pio. If you don't know which is the burner, select DMA if available on all the primary and secondary controllers. If you find a channel using PIO, check DMA if available, then disable that device and reboot. Windows will find it as new hardware and turn it back on with DMA enabled.

5. gspanos

gspanos Member

Did you notice that I reported that my computer is a Mac G4? Does that make a difference? I still can't find IDE controller under Device Manager.

Thanks for your help.

6. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Nope, didn't notice! Advice above is for Windows but would still check the cable and connection priorities.

7. gspanos

gspanos Member

OK. Thanks for trying to help. I think the problem might be that Mac 4 has Firewire 400 ports, but not the 9-pin Firewire 800 port.

8. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I have the pioneer 109 as well, when I burn the device buffer is jumping around? Never did with the NEC 1100a I had any reason it might be doing this?

9. kaledrr

kaledrr Member

how I can make the pioneer dvr 109 have the top spee, I know the that I need a firmware, can anyone post the procudre to it.

Thanks

10. gspanos

gspanos Member

11. jackhamme

jackhamme Member

i got one about a month ago and the other day i formated my com all was fine the next day i went to burn a dvd set it to 8 speed as the dvd will do at 12 but i like 8 speed and it starts burning but stays about 2speed all the way till it finish's i upgraded the firmware not long after getting it shall i try downgrading the firmware or dos anyone now why this is happening

12. kaledrr

kaledrr Member

ok I got the firmware, I opened the file and it says the Avaliable target is not found. What I am doing wrong

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member