1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIONEER DVR-A06 or SONY DRU-500A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by #afonic, Sep 3, 2003.

1. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

I am going to buy a DVD writer next week, so because I am not trusting reviews I want your opinion.

If you have one of these please tell me your experience.

Thanks.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

this is asked nearly every single day - read the forum!

3. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Neither...Multi-format blows.

Get a pioneer 105 while you still can.

That should tide you over until they make better drives.

I have a sony 500 and a pioneer 105 if you need to know...

Be sure to get Record Now max.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Yeah, get a Pioneer. Everybody and their mom is having problems with the Sony.

5. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

thanks for your replies -Oriphus sorry, but it's me that is going ask it today!
    Tosca, why do you say Multi-format blows?
    Sometimes you may have to write an +R media and some over time a -R media. What's wrong with them?

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

My point was to read the other threads and you will see more answers

7. Woody2k

Woody2k Member

From my earlier post, just to share it here:

A multi-burner will do for me TYVM. Personally, I burn DVD-R for video to maintain compatibility and use DVD+RW for data. (I am in Tokyo, Japan as Engineer for a computer company) You may want to wait for the NEC burner due here in October (pre-orders are being taken at Akihabar Electric Town) that has 8x DVD-R/+R support (no DVD Forum standard for the 8x -R media yet tho). Media from Sony due abt the same time.

I use DVD Decrypter and Nero 5.5.10.5. I have a Sony DRU-510A v1.0C with Drive Speed Selector 1.0 with very good results on TDK "armoured" DVD-R 2x "masters" & "everyday" Ritek DVD-R 4x for video and Ricoh DVD+RW 4x as data backups. I got my DRU-510 for abt US$220 locally.

I am very satisfied with the DRU-510 as have other local colleagues on the earlier 500 model. My own unit is made in Malaysia. Just so you know, the local Pioneer A06 is Made in Japan.

We've had issues with Pioneer firmware on this side of the pond and most media sold carry large warnings to this effect (most for older models before the A05). Pioneer is very popular here, but I cannot speak from experience on how "good" they are (other post already cover this in great detail!).

BTW, I run Windows XP SP1a with the Multi-Language User Interface (MUI) and dual English-Japanese support (almost all my sw has to be multi-lingual here). The bundled Sony sw is E/J anyway. No sw issues here!

Hope this helps!

========
    Athlon XP 2600+/Gigabyte GA-7VRXP/384MB PC3200/60GB primary/40GB RAID0 data/DRU510/Liteon 165H/Plextor PX-4824TU/Soldam Pro-MT1300 Omega/HEC-350W PSU/ATI 9100 VIVO/Dual 15-inch LCD Hydravision

8. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Thanks for the reply.
    Oriphus I read the posts before posting my self, I know you prefer the Pionner and I will probably buy this too, because the price is better and I have a Pioneer DVD-Drive with which I am trully happy.
    Just someone told me that Sony is the best DVD writer around. Another one send Pionner is, so I asked between this two!

9. Tosca

Tosca Guest

in a nutshell. Sony 500 etc, has no probs with DVD+R (as this is their format) but has some probs with DVD-R. Pioneer 106 has no probs with DVD-R but has some probs with DVD+R.

So in conclusion. Multiformat blows. Why anyone would bother forking over cash for a multiformat burner when it is now obviously clear (with the release of the pioneer 106) that multiformat is not necessarily multiformat is beyond moi.

dvd-r media is cheaper anyways.

10. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

The other point says that there are some cases that you NEED to write in +R media. So what you do, buy another recorder?
    Also, I believe that soon or later one of the two formats will die. Maybe it's too late, and I'll have already buy a new writer but since this bullshit companies created (nobody needed both +R and -R, one is enough) ends, you should buy hardware that can work with both.