1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-AO6U Problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by level16, Nov 22, 2003.

1. level16

level16 Member

I just installed a Pioneer DVR-AO6U in to a brand new Dell computer P4 2.2 GHz, 256 MB and XP Home Edition. When I play audio CDs or DVDs the sound is jumpy. If I play a CD with .mp3 files it works great. Burning .mp3 files also works great.

The Pioneer DVR came with an extra audio cable but I didn’t use it (not sure where it plugs in to the motherboard – there are a few options).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

It seems that you have not installed the drive correctly. In the pack of the drive you should see a thin (probably grey) cable. You have to connect your drive with your sound card. If you have done this, then maybe another device in your system may create the problems.

3. koola

koola Guest

That grey cable will plug into your soundcard or onto your motherbaord if you have onboard sound.
    Make sure that arrow on the connector incerts into pin 1 on your Drive. Also likewise onto your motherboard/soundcard.

Good luck :D

4. level16

level16 Member

I installed the cable to my soundcard but I still get the same results. The DVD picture and audio are jumpy and CD audio is jumpy too.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I just installed the same drive into my Vaio, I did not use the supplied analog audio cable. I set the jumper on the back to master (the same setting the original drive had) and I did not use any of the software that came with the drive. Was this an additional drive you installed or did you remove a CD drive and replace it with the Pioneer? I would probably put the original drive back in and see if the audio problem still occurs. Double check your IDE cable connections. Can you try the drive in a different computer? Try some different discs too. (a media problem?) I go into install new hardware to make sure the computer recognizes what is installed but these are plug and play devices so you shouldn't have to do anything. It doesn't hurt to check though.
    Good luck!
    Frank _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  6. level16

level16 Member

Here is the latest… I disconnected the original CD drive that came installed in the computer and then hooked up the new DVD drive. It works perfect!!

Now I’m trying to figure out how to get both drives connected and working at the same time.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hello again level16,
    How are the master/slave jumpers on the back of the drives set? Look at your IDE cable, The drive connected to the end of the cable should have the jumper in the "master" position. The drive connected to the middle of the cable should have the jumper in the "slave" position. I have my recorder as the master in the top bay.
    Good Luck!

8. level16

level16 Member

Hello fasfrank:

I have both drive jumpers on select. This is the way Dell configures multiple drives on one machine, or so I am told. Do I need to make any changes in my bios?

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I don't think I'd go there yet, Give Dell a call if switching the master and slave jumpers doesn't work. I Don't want to compound problems for you!
    Frank

10. koola

koola Guest

It's easy, set one drive as Primary Master and the other drive as Primary Slave using the jumpers suplied.

Connect the first connector on the IDE cable to the primary master and the second connector (In the middle) to the Primary Slave.

Do this and then boot up.

Done!

11. level16

level16 Member

koola
    I tried what you said but no luck.

I even switched the DVD drive to the end of the IDE cable (jumper set to master) and the CD drive to the middle of the IDE cable (jumper set to slave).

Whatever drive is connected to the middle of the IDE cable has the same proble, jumpy sound like it is skipping.

I tried both drives jumpers to select but still get the same results.

AAARRRGGHHH!

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi level16,
    Ive been looking around some of the other posts and it does seem that Dell computers have to have to be switched to a DMA mode or something to that effect. I think I was in the X copy forum....I'll go back and see if I can find it for you.
    hang in there,
    Frank

malum

26 Nov 2003 7:41 AM
    OK
    I have a little more time now, so here goes

On the back of the drive CD or HD are jumpers (metal sleeves that bridge two pins)

There are three positions to have the jumpers in

Master (MA)
    Slave (SL)
    Cable select (CS) don’t use this option

If you have two devices on one IDE cable then one must be set to master and one to slave if they are both set to one or the other the neither will work.

On the top face of the drive should be a little diagram telling you where to put the jumper for each setting.

Set your OS hard drive to Master on IDE one.
    If you have another HD put it on IDE two as slave.
    If you are going to rip to the second HD with the DVD drive then put the DVD on IDE one as slave.
    If you also have a CR-RW put it on IDE two as master.

If you have UDMA devices (which your 106 is) you need 80 strand IDE cables to get the most of it.
    Your hard drive may well be UDMA as well so you need two 80 strand cables with two connectors on each.
    If you have a full sized tower then you probably need extra long ones
    Some drives are fussy about which connector they go on (end or middle) so if it doesn’t work and you know you have the jumpers set right then change the drives to the opposite connectors.

Now all these devices need to be told to use DMA mode if they can
    This is done in the device manager (from the control panel) open the device manager and go into the IDE channels and look at the advanced settings and set the all to DMA if available. If they are already set to that and yet they say that they are transferring in PIO mode at the moment then you may have to go into the BIOS and change some settings to get them into DMA mode (not going into that here)
    Ok I found this post by searching "DMA" hope it helps!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  13. koola

koola Guest

Ok this could be the solution:

1. Goto My Computer.
    2. Right click on your DVD writer drive and select Properties.
    3. Click on the Harware tab, then click on your DVD drive and hit the properties button.
    4. Click on the properties tab.
    5. disable the Digital CD Playback.
    6. done, hopefuly the problem will disapear.

If it doesn't work level16, please let me know :D