1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR105 is no longer reading CDs or DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Wiebob, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Wiebob

Wiebob Member

I saw the media section, and decided to post here instead, as it's more of a hardware issue...and I'm praying I'm in the right place.
    Also, although I'm new to the forum, the question is a more advanced one, so I thought I'd give it a try in here.
    Over the past few days, my DVD-R burner has been acting up. I'd have to eject and reinsert the CD/DVD a few times before it would display the contents, or autoplay the disc.
    Last night, I was backing up some music CDs to mp3, when I suddenly got a high-pitched whining from the drive. When I ejected the CD, it was scored pretty bad, and no longer playable in my normal CD player.
    I thought that it might have just been something odd about that CD, but it then did it to a second one.
    I then tried to burn a test CD, only to have it fail seconds into the burn. And now it doesn't seem to read anything.
    I've upgraded the firmware to the newest version, and tried the burner in another computer, but with no luck.
    When you insert any disk into it now, the drive light comes on for a split second, and then just goes back out, without reading the disk.
    Even booting to DOS, it shows the DVD drive as being there, but says there's nothing on it.
    I even went so far as to open it up (I've done this many times with CD-ROM/CD-RW drives), and clean out the small amount of dust in there.
    Still nothing...and of course, it's literally days over it's one year hardware warranty.
    Any thoughts, or is what I'm thinking, a failed drive...
    Thank you for any help... :)

Wiebob

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's seriously not good! If it's scratching discs, whining like a drunk girlfriend and no longer reading anything I'd give it a burial.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004