1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer vsx-2 speakers and issues

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by menz83, Apr 9, 2006.

1. JVC

JVC Active member

menz83........ Those are very nice speakers! :eek:)
    Remember, since you don't have a sub, to set the speaker size to large, in the receiver's setup menus. Also in the menus, have sub setting to "OFF" or "NO". That way, the LFE (bass) signal will be sent to the mains.

Also, since you don't have a center speaker yet, in the setup menus, set the center speaker to "OFF" or "NO". That will create a "Phantom Center" for you.

If I were you, I'd try to pick up a couple of small speakers for the rears, until you can do better, so you can at least listen to movies in 5.1 surround. Gerry is correct in that [bold]"ideally"[/bold] all the speakers should be the same, for the timbre matching sound. It is [bold]especially[/bold] important for the front three.
    Keep us posted?

2. menz83

menz83 Member

So i have been doing a little playing around now and i now have the audio settings to my taste. However, i cannot turn the sub off no matter what i do! I go into the options etc, turn off the surround and centre then go to turn off the sub. No matter how hard i try, i cannot highlight the sub option so it remains on! I have looked all through the manual and it appears that this is the only way to turn it off, how annoying!

I seem to be getting somewhere with the vido problem too. It appears that low brightness levels were making the blacks look all distorted. The manual says to solve this, go to av parameters and adjust the brightness levels. So i try that but there isnt any brightness or contrast options! I looked again in the manual and it says depending on which settings etc i have on, some of the options may not be available! So i mess about a bit more and find a solution. That is, turn my 360 back onto standard definition. Worked a treat and all the options were available. So i set the levels correctly and everything was looking stunning. I then flick back onto HD thinking the levels i saved earlier would be the same. How wrong was I. another dull looking picture with miserable blacks! I go to the av parametres again to find that the brightness/contrast options are gone. I read the faq, nothing, i re-read the manual, nothing! Its really starting to annoy me cuz HD video looks quite poor, especially during dark scenes. If anyone has any suggestions then please advise cuz im stuck otherwise.

2nd bad point about the video, my ps2. My ps2 is hooked up via component leads that i just bought off ebay the other day for like 5 bucks. I thought they would do me for now untill i could get a good set. Anyways, i fire up the playstation to find the screen is way off centre, miles of in fact. I try a PAL game, looks like there is a good bit of the screen missing. I try an NTSC game and get the same although it was a little less of centre. I try adjusting my tv screen, nothing, i try adjusting the screen in any games options, still nothing! This really is quite bad as it worsens my gaming experience instead of making it better! The missus aint complaining tho cuz it doesnt affect her playing super bust a move 2!

Its weird that it is not like this with my 360, but is with my ps2! anyone have any suggestions for this then, or know of any super secret settings that they forgot to mention in the manual?

God, i feel like this thread is never gonna end! Dont want to overstay my welcome, ive seen n00bs been flammed to death for asking less!

Thanks again guys and i look forward to any suggestions (if any!)

EDIT: Just looked at your profile Gerry, couldnt believe it when i found out u r a social worker, u sad bastard lol. I cant take the piss, im away to graduate in social work this summer! What made you do it man? I kinda wish i did something else, working with people is great, but the wages arent! Is it any better in the states?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Menz... post the make and model of your TV and I'll ask Ced to pop back in. So far as I know, Ced is second to none in display matters but he may want to take a peek at your TV's specs.

There's no need to be concerned about asking too many questions; we're all here to help as best we can. Actually, this has been rather fun; it seems the US and the UK use the same AVRs, for the most part, but I didn't realize there was such a difference in speaker manufacturers. Usually when one loses patience with some of the noobs, its for a good reason; it's pointless to get into specifics but believe me, you don't fit into that category!

I had the same problem with the sub menu with my Denon but I don't remember what it was or how I fixed it; I'll take a look at my menus to see what clicks and I'll take a look at your operator's manual.

It would seem that "social work" in the UK and the US have much in common and "Poor Bastard" is certainly appropriate LOL! If only on the surface, (I don't know for sure), I always thought the UK govt was more socially responsible than that of the US. In the US anyway, all talk about concern for the welfare of US citizens is just that, "talk"..."theater" of a sort. I don't know about the UK but here, social work is nothing more than "damage control" for far larger problems we choose to ignore. We have much to learn from our Canadian neighbors to the north! Ah well, I'll get off the subject before I turn this into a sociology thread LOL!

Talk to you later!

4. menz83

menz83 Member

Thanks again Gery, its nice to see your always on the case! Dont really wanna get social work chat on the go anyway. Although the UK, especially Scotland have a lot of policies in place that DO benefit people in need, most of the times its like damage limitation, as you said. We have so many long term goals that are never met. Investment in the industry is what we need, but is something that is seriously lacking. If the government is seen do be doing the right thing, everythings ok, but reality tells a different story. Everywhere ive worked, it always seems to be about meeting the agencies needs and not the service users! If you wanna gt into a serious social work talk, i'll put you onto the missus, she loves a good debate (we were in the same class at uni, how sad eh?!)

Anyways, the tv i have is a toshiba 37WL56P. follow this link and click on the picture frame brochure, it has all the info u need so if your there ced, help me please!! http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/home.nsf

Even though i cant seem to switch the sub off, i am getting good bass from my speaker. Digital sources are far better than analouge sources, especially when concerning bass outputs. I d/l the mission impossible 3 teaser trailer (720p) off of xbox live market place. I pumped up the volume, sat in the correct position and had the best minute of my life! i wont go on about how good it was cuz i'd go on forever but it really did feel like i was at the cinema, amazing and thats only with 2 channels!

Hope to hear from you guys soon and thanks once again!

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ced: Problem is stated is above post dated 22 April @08:09

AVR:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=11383&taxonomy_id=42-98

TV Specs: Toshiba 37WL56P

http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...descreenlcd-37wl56?opendocument#specification

@Menz...how are you guy? My apologies for having disappeared! I'm in the middle of this two week recertification nonsense which is rather seriously lobotomizing! I'm sure you know the drill.

Regarding your sub: I read your operators manual and I can only guess that the autocalibration of your receiver has sensed no signal and turned it off. At the top left of your receiver is a display of exactly which speakers are turned on ... you should have only R & L fronts (mains) showing on the display...lots and lots of neat gizmoes on your receiver by the way; seems very nice indeed. Hope you are well and back to my government regs LOL!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2006
  6. menz83

menz83 Member

Thnaks for the reply gerry, i have been waiting patiently, but i know i cant expect answers immediately! I aint been doing nothing at all lately, as i said before, i graduate this summer so i have a few months off, its a hard life! Aint looking forward to entering the real world and getting a job though, the amout of training you have to do to keep your registration is quite unbelievable!

Managed to turn the sub off, i forgot to turn the front speakers to large, so thats why the sub wouldnt switch off, duh!

I was asking around over at the avforums for answers as i found a few users with the same amp as me. Its a shame i didnt get a reply as i figured someone with the same amp would have some good tips for me.

Video problems are still an issue. I still have no brightness/contrast options when viewing HD video via the component inputs. I noticed that when viewing HD video, the video converter light goes off if that helps? I have d/l a few GB of HD samples and they are all the same. Dark heavy black show 'ghost' like images, its really annoying and does spoil the viewing expereience. I thought that maybe my eye's would have adjusted by now, but that aint the case, its becoming more frustrating by the day! For example, the cockpit view in project gotham 3 used to look stunning, a real driving experience, but now the dash board in any car looks like its been taken over by casper the annoying ghost! Everything else in game appears darker than usual. Tried messing around with the in game options and my tv settings but still having no luck.

Same goes for ps2, HD gaming is darker than usual, with 'ghosting' blacks and still off centre. NTSC games arent so bad as they are usually a bit off centre to the right when on a PAL display. This seems to provide more of a balance in getting the screen on centre as my amp displays my ps2 way off centre to the left.

If your out there Ced, or any other vsx2 users, please give me some input, as i really need to releave all this frustration!

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

My apologies Menz, but I didn't PM him until this morning. I left him links to your amp and TV and told him which post to look at where you explain the display problem. I feel bad; I should have PMd him sooner but frankly, I just forgot in all the mayhem. Sorry.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Sorry about the lateness of my reply, just read the PM...

Tvs are normally very good at sencing the properties of a video signal (i.e. NTSC, ATSC, PAL, SDTV, HDTV, 2:3 pulldown, ect...). Its a long shot but I would start by using a diffent cable with your PS2. What you are discribing I've only seen happen with damaged low quality coax cables. When the resistance of the cable changes it can effect everything about the picture (and sound) adversly.

-----

So, everything is dark? With a projection TV all off the brightness is determined by the Lamp. Do you buy your TV new or referbished?

Will get back to you after I have done more reaserch,
    Ced

9. menz83

menz83 Member

Thanks for the reply ced, i have been waiting patiently!

I think you may be right on the ps2 issue. I bought some cheap ass component cable to do me for now, I will check using my s-video cable as it a half decent cable when compared to the component.

As for the TV, i bought it new. Everything on it is great, but all went to pot when i bought the receiver. When viewing my xbox and ps2 on high def using component in, hdmi out on my receiver, the blacks look all funny showing ghost like images. Not all blacks are like this, just really dark/grey areas. I managed to combat this by turing the brightness and other options down on my telly. The 'ghost' images more or less disappeared but gave me a picture that was too dark overall for my liking. In my receivers manual, it states that i can adjust the brightness and contrast options in the a/v parameters but it appears that this option is only available when the video converter is on. I know this because i switched my 360 to standard def for a bit. when i go into the options, the brightness and contrast options are there. However when i turn the video converter off, the options disappear again. When i can adjust the brightness/contast on the receiver, i can get the picture quality i had before with no dodgey blacks and everything is bright and wonderfull as usual.

I really hope this makes sense and if there is anyting specific you need to know then please ask and i will reply. My last few posts go into as much detail as probably possible, but as i said, please ask if you require more info. I havent contacted pioneer yet, i was going to hold out first to see if any of you guys could help me 1st.

Thanks again for taking some time to help me again ced, its appreciated.

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Just stopped by to say hello....out of town all week again and away from the site for the most part. Hope you are well menz adn Ced!