1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel problem after backup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by liquidmc, Mar 30, 2007.

1. liquidmc

liquidmc Member

I have been having backup problems.. During the movie, while being played in the standard home dvd player it gets all pixelly on me. Then I try the same movie in my xbox360 and computer and it works fine. I use anydvd and clonedvd with verbatim dvds, and burn @ 8X speed. Any ideas? I have tried many different home dvd players and I get the same problem. Will they only work on the newest dvd players? Whats the problem here?!? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

some players are picky.... you're using good media..... all I can say is try to slow your burning speed to 4x and see if that solves your pixel problem with your players. Usually it's the other way around..... the Xbox will have a problem and the player won't! LOL There's nothing wrong with your programs that are burning your DVD but..... what burner do you have and what firmware is it using? You can find this information out by useing a nice program called DVDDecrypter..... it's free:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/DVD_Decrypter/1011845169/1

here's how to check your drive out:
    [​IMG]
    1. source is your burner
    2. TOOLS/DRIVE
    3. CHECK FOR FIRMWARE UPDATE
    this will take you to the FIRMWARE PAGE and show you the latest firmware you have for your drive.

Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition.

I think your problem could be that you are using newer media on an older burner.... and sometimes you'll run into problems as what you're experiencing with good media because your drive doesn't have the correct write strategies to burn the newer speed disks (16x media). Even with a 16x, Dual Layer recorder.... newer media is always being produced or changed from the older versions of the same media that you always used! so a firmware update could solve your problem. But if your burner is up-to-date with it's firmware then I suggest you use 8x media and see if you have the same or better results. Other alternatives in a case like (where your burner is old and has no more firmware updates by the manufacturer) would be to get a newer burner! But let's not go there till we find out what your burner is and if it's has the latest firmware update.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  3. liquidmc

liquidmc Member

Thanks man.. I did as you say and it says I am using HD08 firmware. The dvd drive I am using came with the computer and under device manager it says it is a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552L. When I click on CHECK FOR FIRMWARE UPDATES in decrypter, it says "Sorry. The specified string could not be found." Do you have any idea if my firmware is up to date?

Thanks

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...&hddvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=50&Search=Search
    here is your burner..... it's a Toshiba-Samsung OEM drive and for some reason it isn't showing up in the Firmware page. Who knows...... I can't help you unless the drive shows up in the Firmware Page. I looked elsewhere and still can't find the firmware update. sorry. will keep looking and see if I have success in finding whether your firmware is up-to-date.

5. liquidmc

liquidmc Member

Thanks for the help eh. I may be better off just buying a new drive?

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Like I said ..... first see if you can get a firmware update..... and then test out your burns. Otherwise..... why not try to use 8x media instead of 16x media.... buy the good stuff... MIJs (Made In Japan). Check the label on the box or spindle and make sure it's MIJ.