1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation/Distortion watching DivX on my 37" Plasma TV

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by lakep79, Apr 16, 2007.

1. lakep79

lakep79 Member

Dear All,

I'm a new member to this forum and I apologise if a similar thread has been posted but I am having problems which I would love to find a solution to.

I am burning my downloaded .avi files to DVD-RW without any problems. I have just purchased a samsung DVD recorder that plays DivX files. The problem is that when I play the DivX movies they appear pixelated and distorted on my 37" plasma.

I have been told that this is a resolution problem, i.e. I downloaded the avi in e.g. 600x800 and any errors within the movie are magnified on the larger screen.

Is there anythinig I can do to rectify this problem????

Many thanks,

P

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

600x800 should actually look pretty decent, remember DVD only has a vertical resolution of 576 pixles (480 for NTSC). Problem is that it is quite common for Xvid (all scene releases are Xvid not DivX) movies to have a vertical resolution of only 272 pixels. With a software player post processing can help with blocking (at the expense of detail usually). With a hardware player though, there really isn't anything you can do other than get better quality movies to play.

3. lakep79

lakep79 Member

Many thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated. I have found that some of the avi files look ok on the 37" plasma, I think maybe that was the 600x800, and its the smaller resolutions, as you suggested that I should avoid. The quality of the DivX looked so good on my computer monitor that I was expecting the same.

Many thanks

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

This is a problem of big , beautiful TVs.
    A friend of mine can notice the difference between a double-layer DVD and a single-layer one (that is, if you try to see the same DVD, once shrinked to 4.3 Gb (DVD5), he notices the difference).

I don't think I'll ever buy such a TV....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007