1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plain & simple-help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dreaming, Nov 29, 2004.

1. dreaming

dreaming Member

I used After Dawn 2 years ago to learn how to burn DVD's. Now I need someones help again. I have a NEC 1100a DVD burner and all of a sudden, it stopped working. It will read audio cd's and text cd's (Word, Excel items etc.) but it will not read any DVD I have in there. Everyone says I need a decoder. Great! Where do I get one? I have tried everything. Uninstalling and letting "Found New ardware" to try and fix it--no good. I did a Firmware update and the flash worked and it says the drive is working properly. Any ideas anyone? Decoder, where can I get one and is a decoder the same as a driver? Thank you very much in advance!

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

A decoder comes with the program you use to watch DVD's like power DVD or WinDVD try reloading what ever software you use to watch DVD's this will re-install your decoder you need. Your Burner should have came with some sort of software for watching DVD's. The DVD Decoder is not free and you cant get it just download it off line (well not legally anyway) Just re-install your software and you should have no problems..

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. dreaming

dreaming Member

OK-(BUT)--the DVD burner came with my Dell. I tried sticking in one of those discs they send with the computer. It said it had drivers on it but where the hell they are on the disc I have no idea. I looked everywhere. Oh well!

Thanks!

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Dell usually puts PowerDVD in the pc if you get either a dvd-rom or dvd burner.

My Dell came with a 1100 and I had to get it replaced. If your past your warranty there are good deals out there.

6. dreaming

dreaming Member

OK-thanks. I am to the point where I'll just buy a new one. Any suggestions on a good DVD player/burner?

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I'm a newegg shopper :)

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here is a few to look at. All Seem to be good from what I have been reading on AD. I have a Nec, and a Pioneer myself and I have no complaints with either one. In my opinion and this is in no specific order if you stick with these brands you will do fine. Nec, Pioneer, LiteOn, Plextor, and OptoRite. You probably want to get a DL one so you will be ready to copy DVD9 when the blank media comes down in price.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-182-025&depa=1 $55

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-031&depa=1 $67

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-131-327&depa=1 $103-$30 rebate =$73

Hope this helps
    [​IMG][​IMG]