1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

planning to mount dvd externally to create better cooling/silence

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by slugmong, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugmong

slugmong Member

Hi Guys,
    I have just been given a chipped 360 from a disillusioned mate (for free) and am pretty hacked off with the noise already! However as it was free I am willing to spend a bit of time and effort on the little beast as it works great as a media centre extender (with windows 7)even streaming BBC HD!

I have built a fair few PCs in my time and am planning on doing the following:

Removing the DVD and mounting it in a sound proofed enclosure (not sure which yet will prob make one and dynomat it to death. I haven't had a chance to get her apart yet but is it a simple case of extending the SATA and power cables to mount the dvd externally?)

Adding a new heat sink/fan to the GPU in the space free'd up by the removal of the D drive(again need some advice on fitments)

Replacing the stock fans with whisper Max's (already purchased and will be first mod if I am not happy with the sound will prob look at some noctua or panaflex ones)

Drilling more air vents (need advice on best place and number of holes to get max air flow through the box without screwing up optimum flow)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
    Si

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Please look/post in the xbox 360 forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.