1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma TV Going Out?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Spenman91, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I purchased a Samsung Plasma 720p TV about a year and a half ago, And lately it seems like the picture has been off. By that I mean, when watching it colors such as red or yellow, skin, or wood colored material, turn a yellow shade over the object that is that color. It sounds wierd and is hard to explain when telling someone, but I was wondering if anyone here had some ideas on what it might be, and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks for the help.

2. ryan_88

ryan_88 Member

it sounds like a lamp problem to me, either the lamp is dying or has developed a fault.

although lamps should in theory last about 60,000 hours

do you watch tv that much?? cos if so then it would just simply require a lamp replacement

3. club42

club42 Regular member

Not sure about plasma but my lcd projection did the same thing when the light engine went out. Lamps last 6000 to 8000 hours I thought. Plus It's a plasma not a projection tv so when it dies it dies. Did you get an extended warranty? If your lucky Diabolos will reply as he could probably tell you exactly what the problem is.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  4. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Thanks for the replies. I posted this a while ago and basically gave up so I'm glad you all said something. I talked to somebody at Bestbuy a while back and they thought it was the color processor going out or something but I don't think he knew what he was talking about, I don;t usually trust those guys, but I was hoping he could tell me if I could get it fixed and around how much it would cost if I could. But his answer was "well I would just buy a new TV". I do watch TV alot, mostly at night, and then I fall asleep with it on nearly every night. But I don't get to watch it much at all during the day. I probably have it on from maybe 7 at night to 7 in the morning. I didn't plan on keeping this TV very long but I wanted atleast 4 or 5 years out of it. And after having it for a little over a year, that falls a little short of what I expected. I do hope Diablos will reply because your right, he probably could tell me exactly what is wrong.

If I can't get it fixed or it's expensive, I guess that will give me an excuse to buy a new 1080p one though.

5. WFIH

WFIH Guest

A nephew of mine went visiting some friends and thought it was fun to press his big fat thumb on the hosts plasma screen.

I haven't yet seen the resulting distortion but it is still there after a week.

Is this sort of thing reparable/recoverable or is his pocket money going to be stopped for the next 10 years?